• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Workout rutine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
First of all, I'm sorry if someone has posted this same question and cause an inconvenience, but I did read through most of the recent posts and gained a lot of information. Anyway...
I'm taking a weight training class now and was wodnering what a good workout program may be to build some strength/endurance. I've got 2 and a half years before I'm going to be applying or anything, and thought now would be a good time to get myself into a good weekly rutine. I've never been more than 130 lbs, am 5-9, and physical strength has never been a high strength of mine. I read one post speaking of increasing calorie input, which I'll try to do, but was just wondering what you guys would suggest. (I know everyone is different yada, yada, yada, but just curious as to what worked for you gus)

Thank you very much for any input, and again, sorry if this has been brought up many times.
boggled_125.gif

Never more than ONE THIRTY!? Good Jebus man. I'm gonna take a swag here and guess pushups are not your thing right?
If you're going Navy, remember all you're gonna need are pushups, situps, run. Pushups...just do them. Situps...same. Running...more of the same.
3 sets to exhaustion of pushups and situps followed by a 2-3 mi run depending on your current physical condition everyday seems good. If you're that lightly built running should come pretty damn quick(if you can't already). If this kills you, adjust accordingly. Eating...I'm not sure you'd WANT calories. I'm no nutrition expert(too bad no jaerose), but IMO being light is an advantage for 2 out of 3 events of the PFT(and for pullups too). The bulking up will come naturally from muscles.

Through observation, I've noticed most "lightweights" have trouble with pushups but rock situps and the run. All you need to do is just apply yourself, and try to avoid injury(always stretch after, yadda yadda). Actually, make that try HARD. Anyway, good luck, and remember, I don't actually know wtf I'm talking about. Seek better advice if possible.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
"Anyway, good luck, and remember, I don't actually know wtf I'm talking about."
LOL...
Thanks, you're right about pushups, situps, and running... I could do situps just about forever,and I like to run a lot too. And any advice is way more than anything I already know, so it's all good to me! :) Thanks for the reply!

ElPensador

I'm about 150, and I gotta say, I can do crunches all day, but sit-ups are unexplicably harder, even more so than the push-ups. There was some discussion over at usnavyocs.com (http://usnavyocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5093#5093)about the differences between the sit-ups they make you do at OCS and the ones (or crunches) that you might be doing on your own or in the regular Navy. Anyone have any light to shed on this?

Crowbar

None
Just try some basic research on nutrition to begin with. More calories isn't always good if they are the wrong kinds of calories. Also, depending on how (and how much) you're planning to exert yourself will determine when you should think about carb loading or protein loading. Also, determine how much you need in the form of extra vitamins/minerals (I refuse to drink milk so I take calcium pills, for example).

I agree with what was said-the best way to get better at something is to practice. Something I do is make every event a little harder. Say for a PRT, practice running 1.75 miles but use the 1.5 mile time as your guideline. So then when you actually only run 1.5 miles, you will see quite a difference (improvement) in your time. Then for pushups and situps, instead of going for 2 minutes, maybe go for 1:45 or if you are a hard dog, 1:30, seeing how many you can do. Again, use the standard 2 minute scores to monitor yourself. So once you do it for 2 minutes, again, improvements can be seen.

If you want to start weight training, the class you're taking should be able to give you some ideas of basic exercises you can do for each muscle group. I'm certainly not Mr. Universe but since I recovered from ye olde broken foot (OCS special offer) I'm stronger now than I ever remember. I don't do any real extravagant exercises, just basic stuff. The guys here who lift religiously would probably make fun of how simple my workouts are.

And don't forget swimming. Even if you want to run. During school I typically swim once/week (1500 yards or so) and it has helped me all around. Helps you learn to control your breathing, good cardio, and nice back/shoulder workout. Side note: I found that for me, swimming and doing a back workout on the same day has produced good results.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I thought I'd throw some ideas out for you. Ask any more questions or PM me if you want and I'll do what I can.

Originally posted by ElPensador
I'm about 150, and I gotta say, I can do crunches all day, but sit-ups are unexplicably harder, even more so than the push-ups. There was some discussion over at usnavyocs.com (http://usnavyocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5093#5093)about the differences between the sit-ups they make you do at OCS and the ones (or crunches) that you might be doing on your own or in the regular Navy. Anyone have any light to shed on this?

Ah yeah good point. I dunno what's done at OCS, but I'm guessing when the DI wants to "mash" you you're gonna be doing crunches-nothing holding your feet. For ROTC PFT, they WILL hold your feet and yes, it does feel a bit different from crunches. For me, first time I did em, my quads burned out before my abs ever did.

confused_pilot

If you need to improve sit-ups for a PRT, believe it or not plain old walking is one of the best ways to strengthen the muscles you would be using. Remember its elbows to shoulderblades. If you put your head on the deck, you are just wasting your upper abs, which person depending should stay tight.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
also for situps you can try doing it under weight 1 set a day, it will help build you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.