• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working my way up...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
To be honest, DO NOT GIVE UP! Chase that dream. NEVER GIVE UP.

Yes, a security clearance "could" be an issue. It is not your ancestry that makes a difference, rather, during a background investigation the gumshoes want to interview your relatives and friends. Should a lot of your relatives and friends live downtown Tehran, that presents a problem for the investigators.

A broad overview of can be found at this site:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I'll tell you this much: I had a guy working for me a few years ago who was born in Iran. Father was in the IIAF and beat feet with his family when the Revolution came. So this guy had lived all but the first few years of his life in the US, spoke fluent Farsi, and his parents were naturalized US citizens as well. He wanted to strike for IS as a linguist, and I figured he'd be a shoo-in. Not so much. The SSBI security check may or may not trip you up, and there's not a whole lot you can do as an officer without at least a TS. Not much interesting, anyway.
Maniax -

Don't let this be a deterent. Security clearances get denied for all sorts of reasons (the most common one being demonstrated financial irresponsibility).

Your background would be very useful, regardless of community. The US military as a whole is making a shift towards becoming more culturally savvy - and there are lots of opportunities (and benefits) for someone with your native language skills and cultural background.

If you truly have the desire to serve your country as a Naval Officer, contact an OSO and let them help you jump through the hoops. There's a world of opportunity out there, you'll never know unless you try.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, indeed. Didn't mean it to sound like "don't even try". Just wanted to let you know, it'll come up, but didn't mean to be discouraging. If you want it, take a crack at it, and best of luck to you.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does "university" mean?

Are you dual citizenship US/Iranian?

maniax342002

To be honest, DO NOT GIVE UP! Chase that dream. NEVER GIVE UP.

Yes, a security clearance "could" be an issue. It is not your ancestry that makes a difference, rather, during a background investigation the gumshoes want to interview your relatives and friends. Should a lot of your relatives and friends live downtown Tehran, that presents a problem for the investigators.

A broad overview of can be found at this site:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm

really appreciate it.

reading all these background checks is making me nervous. My family and I don't have nothing to hide, its just we do have couple of family members back home, majority are here in USA.

maniax342002

Maniax -

Don't let this be a deterent. Security clearances get denied for all sorts of reasons (the most common one being demonstrated financial irresponsibility). Credit Score, above 800, Check.

Your background would be very useful, regardless of community. The US military as a whole is making a shift towards becoming more culturally savvy - and there are lots of opportunities (and benefits) for someone with your native language skills and cultural background. Cultural Experience; lived their for first 10 years of my life, know the customs, know the systems, know what is going on in the Persian community here and back home.

If you truly have the desire to serve your country as a Naval Officer, contact an OSO and let them help you jump through the hoops. There's a world of opportunity out there, you'll never know unless you try. Thanks for the spiritual lift, Scoob. That is exactly what i dont want to happen to me. I don't want to reach age 40 and have too many what ifs........
Ps: if i was not able to get in for any particular reason, you guys suggest enlisting and working my way up?

MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION, When we take the ASTB, do we also take the ASVAB?

I AM REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, THANKFUL FOR YOU GUYS TAKING YOUR TIME AND ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ps: if i was not able to get in for any particular reason, you guys suggest enlisting and working my way up?
There are people on here like phrogpilot who took that route, so it could work. There's no guaruntee, though. Just be sure that you wouldn't mind enlisting, otherwise you're going to have a miserable 4 years with no guaruntee that you're going to get commissioned. That'll probably decrease your performance in the field, thus making it less likely you get your recommendations down the line.

MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION, When we take the ASTB, do we also take the ASVAB?
No. The ASTB is for officers, the ASVAB is for enlisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.