• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working my way up...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniax342002

Hello all,

First off I do not want to be a pilot.

I have a question and please be HONEST, trying to make decision on which way my life will go.

I want to go into Intelligence or Public Affair. ß Yeah I know exciting fields O~O

I just graduated from University with a BA in International Relations with a GPA of 3.3. Now I know there is not much I can offer the Navy’s Officer Program with an IR degree. However, I do know the language of FARSI (read and write) and have an Iranian passport and have lived there for TEN years of my life (Am 23).

Now all I want to know is if I pass the tests (I know it depends on what scores you get in each category) what are my chances of getting accepted into OCS?

And if I do not get accepted into OCS, would you guys recommend enlisting and working my way up to being an Officer? And what is the percentage of people who get accepted as they move up the ranks?

Would appreciate any response.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
What is the specific percentage level at which point you will give up?

red_ryder

None
Ok, well I used to think the way you do, but I've since learned that the reality is you either do it or don't do it. If this is something you really want, the "odds" are less and less applicable to you.

Get with an officer recruiter (you already have a degree, dude) and start putting together your application. I don't think you'll make it through OCS if it's not something you really want to do anyway.

Good luck.

*afterthought*
Besides, no one can ever quote the real odds anyway.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello all,

First off I do not want to be a pilot.

I have a question and please be HONEST, trying to make decision on which way my life will go.

I want to go into Intelligence or Public Affair. ß Yeah I know exciting fields O~O

I just graduated from University with a BA in International Relations with a GPA of 3.3. Now I know there is not much I can offer the Navy’s Officer Program with an IR degree. However, I do know the language of FARSI (read and write) and have an Iranian passport and have lived there for TEN years of my life (Am 23).

Now all I want to know is if I pass the tests (I know it depends on what scores you get in each category) what are my chances of getting accepted into OCS?

And if I do not get accepted into OCS, would you guys recommend enlisting and working my way up to being an Officer? And what is the percentage of people who get accepted as they move up the ranks?

Would appreciate any response.

Yuri, are you a US citizen? You ancestry could be suspect for a background investigation.

What exactly is "university?"

To be 100% honest, yes, enlist. It will be easier and you have an almost 100% chance of becoming enlisted.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think I probably went to highschool with you.

To answer your question, if you are dedicated, then apply. Who cares what your "chances" are? You are probably more qualified than many others who got in before you. Getting in is more about how tenacious you are than what your grades are and OAR is.

phrogpilot73

Yuri, are you a US citizen? You ancestry could be suspect for a background investigation.

What exactly is "university?"

To be 100% honest, yes, enlist. It will be easier and you have an almost 100% chance of becoming enlisted.
While I don't necessarily think that working your way up from the enlisted ranks is usually good advice, Schnugg has a point. If you're not a US Citizen, you can't be an officer. If you have dual citizenship, you can't be an officer (unless you abandon your other country's citizenship). If you are interested in being an officer, and aren't a US Citizen, enlisting will help speed up the naturalization process.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I can give you the number to the Officer Recruiter for Orange County area. PM me if you want it.

maniax342002

While I don't necessarily think that working your way up from the enlisted ranks is usually good advice, Schnugg has a point. If you're not a US Citizen, you can't be an officer. If you have dual citizenship, you can't be an officer (unless you abandon your other country's citizenship). If you are interested in being an officer, and aren't a US Citizen, enlisting will help speed up the naturalization process.

thanks for all your responses.

yes i am a US citizen became a citizen in 1995. as for being citizen my birthplace i will give that up in a heart beat. America has given me much more than the county i was born in.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What university did you graduate from?

The background investigation can really dig deep...not just about you.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However, I do know the language of FARSI (read and write) and have an Iranian passport and have lived there for TEN years of my life (Am 23).
thanks for all your responses.

yes i am a US citizen became a citizen in 1995. as for being citizen my birthplace i will give that up in a heart beat. America has given me much more than the county i was born in.

Yet you have an Iranian passport?

red1323

Go SWO!!!! No, seriously, good on ya for looking for more info on the communities and good luck getting in.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll tell you this much: I had a guy working for me a few years ago who was born in Iran. Father was in the IIAF and beat feet with his family when the Revolution came. So this guy had lived all but the first few years of his life in the US, spoke fluent Farsi, and his parents were naturalized US citizens as well. He wanted to strike for IS as a linguist, and I figured he'd be a shoo-in. Not so much. The SSBI security check may or may not trip you up, and there's not a whole lot you can do as an officer without at least a TS. Not much interesting, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.