• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working in the real world...

phrogpilot73

I thought that we (Amazon) sold a Kindle version of it, but I could be wrong.

ETA: Yep, Kindle version in residence in my cloud.
1. Didn't realize that you were working for Amazon. You're joining some good company, I've got one or two (or a half dozen) USNA classmates that work for them. I'm a huge fan of the company...

2. Thanks for letting me know they had a Kindle version - made me renew my search (as my first one only turned up hard copies).

Renegade One

None
Attached to B Co, 1st LAR for a summer cruise from USNA, the Company Commander assigned the other Mid and I book reports. Other guy got 'Blackhawk Down' and I got 'The Root'. What a fantastic book on an overall shitty situation. The political groundwork laid throughout the first part of the book takes some determination to get through, but it is worth it. I thought that we (Amazon) sold a Kindle version of it, but I could be wrong.

ETA: Yep, Kindle version in residence in my cloud.
Just bought it...being "auto-delivered wirelessly" as we speak. Thanks for the info/vector.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Happy to help. The argument the Co Cdr in question made for us doing book reports was twofold: One, the timespan between the events in the two books was of about ten years, and he asserted that about every ten years or so we find ourselves in, for lack of a better term, a royally fucked up political-military situation like these. Two, that if two 'jackass Mids' could glean something worthwhile from the books, then his platoon commanders should STFU and read them, too.

Not to deviate too much from the topic of the thread, but Amazon is an incredible company to work for. And in the last few years, we have snapped up a huge number of prior military folks. Hell, I just introduced a former Army Commo and a Navy Chop (still on terminal) to my area today. I'm admittedly biased, but the whole way we do things is such a great change from what I had at my last job, which, especially after Master pursued other areas of employment, became more fucked up than a football bat for several reasons. I've been at Amazon for a few months now, and it just rocks.

So if anyone's looking...

(For the record, he never worked for my but was looked at for a position.)

MasterBates

Did I cause the chaos or just act as a catalyst? I have that effect.

In all honesty, I was interested, but HR at your previous employer moved at a glacial pace.

That's okay. The company I took a job at, got bought by a much bigger company between when I accepted the position and started, and now, less than a year later, we are being broke off from the new company and being sold. And they won't tell us to whom.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Nah, Master, there was some shady shit going on behind the scenes that I wasn't privy to until after HR dropped the ball IRT to hiring you. They fired the Controller, and the GM apparently has one foot out the door, mainly based on his repeated SNAFUs when dealing with employee relations.

Beeper? WTF is that? Are we back in the 90s? Because I'll straight up ROCK some Vanilla Ice pants if we are...

If you're referring to being attached at the hip to the company, I've had worse. I get the occasional text to handle some admin shit when I'm not there, and I have had to cover for my counterpart on days (they work the front half of the week, I work the back half, and we overlap one day) while they were off on a recruiting trip. But outside of the peak retail season, I generally work four days a week. And the compensation is pretty damn good. Not to mention the top cover, which is on par with or better than all but the very best COs or OICs I worked for in the military.

Compared to my last job, where I was writing the equivalent of an 8 page paper at least once a day to cover the company's ass in case the FDA ever came calling, and basically being the hatchet man for the entire site (everyone else was too chicken shit to fire anyone), this is awesome. Seriously. Plus, I get to travel if I want, walk between 12-15 miles a day, and get to sponsor hourly associates to advance on a regular basis. It's also an incredibly metrics driven environment, which crushes a lot of the gray area of performance evaluations.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
To address the "attached at the hip to the company idea," I think just about any job with decent pay is going to have you tied to a smart phone these days.

jmcquate

Contributor
The politcs, bullshit, on call 24/7 a day, is the same shit you are going through now. The only differace is no uniforms........and if you fuck-up, poeple may die.

MasterBates

I have a BlackBerry. Somewhere. It may actually work now. But yeah. Company wants instant replies now. Due to my job, when I am out working, they can't fuck with my "Crew Rest" so they don't, but I'm on call 24/7 when I am home, which is not often.

I may come off the road sooner than later, since we got bought and resold, so many engineers have jumped ship it's not funny. Lots of work, may be good for another promotion but 300 days a year on the road, and the majority of those being 14-16 hours does get old.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

Wasn't trying to talk to airline gigs, though I imagine you guys can be reached in the cockpit anytime the company wants to. But out of the plane, sure, there probably isn't much of a need (and I'm sure that's a perk to some).

For the corporate world, once you reach a certain level (which really isn't that high) it is the cost of doing business these days.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Beeper? WTF is that? Are we back in the 90s? Because I'll straight up ROCK some Vanilla Ice pants if we are...

If you're referring to being attached at the hip to the company...

I've got a lot of friends / former co-workers over at Amazon and a few of them were issued beepers. My comment was in jest though...seems like a great company to work for if you love what you're doing.

KBayDog

Lots of work, may be good for another promotion but 300 days a year on the road, and the majority of those being 14-16 hours does get old.

In other words, your job is like being on active duty...except you're much better compensated, and you don't have to complete a TRIPS worksheet in order to drive for a few hours down an interstate highway (after spending those 300+, 14-16 hour days in combat).

However, I'm sure your safety department issued you an Arrive Alive card. Right?

MasterBates

No, but I have to do "Journey Management". I'm still not sure what that entails, but I'm told I have to do it.

Picture if your job was a neverending det at Pendleton, but you were too busy to do anything but fly. That's about my schedule. I'm in major cities a lot, Denver, Houston, Portland, Kansas City (plus overseas) but no real time to do anything but work.