• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Work out advice (I'm a fat F@*& and need to lose weight)

cui bono

Does anybody have any calisthenics and cardio work outs that they could suggest to me? I have no access to any gyms and want to shed some weight before I see my OR to retake the ASTB in about a month.

P.S. I am dieting.....that's about it.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Walk and then run. Find someone who is a runner to give you pointers on form, and make sure to get good, comfortable shoes. Walking briskly will access fat as fuel; running will kick up your metabolic rate.

Eat at least 1200-1400 kcals (otherwise you will mess up your metabolism); cut fat to 20%; up your protein and stay away from bread and sugar (simple carbs.)

Just a start--

BullGator

Does anybody have any calisthenics and cardio work outs that they could suggest to me? I have no access to any gyms and want to shed some weight before I see my OR to retake the ASTB in about a month.

P.S. I am dieting.....that's about it.
There is a lot of info on this. Do a search through Docs corner and the PRT board. Basically, everyone is different, and eating less isn't always better (sometimes you can just change what you eat or portion size).

For workouts, start with jogging and running at PRT pace as many times a week as you can (minimum 4-5). Also start with pushups and curlups. Then add in calestetic activities such as those listed on the official OCS website. That was my personal plan. For you, search and decide what's best. But above all: get out there and pound some pavement! Good luck.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Keep this in mind: If you aren't very active and are planning on starting a workout routine (specifically running), don't do too much too fast. Thats what I did and thats how I got shin splints prior to going to OCS.

PA44pilot

Hello. I was in a very similar situation as you. I started conditioning back in March weighing 217lbs. As of Monday, I weigh 184. having, "been there", don't get discouraged if you feel nothing is happening. It takes time, and above all dedication.

I did a google search a short while ago and searched for Navy Workout Routines. I found a site, http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm and used the navy seal routine. (on link). It seems rather simple and no need of an actual gym as you mentioned. One thing I recommend, do not feel you MUST do each week by week. I consulted a few of the athletic trainers at my University and they said, If you need 2 weeks to do each week, do it.

Hope that helps you.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Build yourself up to where you can run for 45-60 minutes at a comfortable (able to talk with your buddy) pace; then throw in some interval training (run 200m in 45-60 sec, rest 2 mins, X 8). Start with 2 workouts a week, building up to 4. And do pullups, pushups, and situps.