• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Work Experience

jride200

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have an application into the January board for SNA. I am hoping to hear back very soon . . .

Last week, I interviewed for an operator's position at a univerisy research reactor. Yesterday, they emailed me a job offer. Although it is relatively high paying and I could be licensed by the NRC in 6-8 months, I have hesitations due to the regularly rotating shift work and the seemingly monotonous nature of the work.

What initially drew me to the position was the thought that, if I have to reapply for OCS: SNA, the Navy would very much value this experience. What's the consencus here? Should I take the job?

Thanks, Jason

MasterBates

I think it would look better than waiting tables at Shennanigans....

According to my recruiter back in 99, running a jet engine test cell looked good on my application. I can only think running a reactor would look even better.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They'll recruit you for SNA and send you to Submarines!! :eek: :eek:

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Not only that, but it'd be nice to be pulling a paycheck while you wait to hear back from the Navy...especially if you have to re-apply. Also as an off the street OCS guy, the day you you're accepted and your OCS date can easily be 6 months apart.

Kycntryboy

pilot
...the day you you're accepted and your OCS date can easily be 6 months apart.

Also depends what time of year it is (fiscal year) we had several between acceptance and OCS date inside of a week. I think 4 days was the least. Needless to say they did not have the BIG 3 memorized by outpost lol.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last week, I interviewed for an operator's position at a university research reactor. Yesterday, they emailed me a job offer. Although it is relatively high paying and I could be licensed by the NRC in 6-8 months, I have hesitations due to the regularly rotating shift work and the seemingly monotonous nature of the work.

What initially drew me to the position was the thought that, if I have to reapply for OCS: SNA, the Navy would very much value this experience. What's the consencus here? Should I take the job?

Thanks, Jason

Yes, the work experience will look very good. Some things to consider though. You will be just that much older when you reapply. Don't know your age now, but age is a big deal. It is always a competitive factor whether 20 or 27.Anything past about 25 gets a real hard look. Just because there are available quotas now does not mean there will be open slots when you reapply. If accepted this go round and you pass, better treat it like it is gone for good. Sure there is a chance to reapply, but there is no guarantee you will get another offer just because you got one this time. The alternative job better be good enough you can live with it.

Here is what I would try. If the timing works so that the nuke job comes before the SNA select, and you want to try the nuke research thing, call your recruiter before the board sees your app and see if you can change the available date on your app to a few more months out. In any case, if you can always request a date further out then the one they offer you. If you tell them why, (great educational opportunity, technical skills, further maturity, etc) you may get them to hold the slot for you and buy a few more months. Get the NRC lic and then bolt for OCS. If they don't slide your OCS date then you will have a tough decision.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's another way to look at the problem. How valuable will your NRC lic. be after having been in the Navy for 10 years (or more) and having been out of your field for such a long time? My bet is not very, so factor that into your decision.

Brett