• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Words of wisdom

Raptor2216

I, like so many others who have come before me, am living a dream right now. Everything I have worked for is slowly coming true and I feel lucky to say the least.

I want to ask those who have been there and done that to share your experiences for those who aspire to fill your shoes. I'm not asking about the common sense stuff(i.e. no DUI's) but the things that common sense and books can't teach. I want to hear any good, bad or great experiences you guys have had during your flying years. What can we, the students, look forward to? Are there things you guys wish you had done differently as they relate to your professional life or personal? Anything you guys want to share would be great.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
when you get to your squadron, don't talk, like at all. nobody wants to hear you share your views on, well, anything.

if you can't be funny, don't be new.

Seriously, this is important.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When in the bar, if it's not a target rich environment - go ugly early.

What happens on a det or deployment, stays on the det or deployment. It is neither your or your wife's/girlfrined's business what the other guys are doing.

Seriously, these are important too! :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't been there or done that, I'm still in TRACOM. But, as we say: "Don't suck."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
when you get to your squadron, don't talk, like at all. nobody wants to hear you share your views on, well, anything.

if you can't be funny, don't be new.

Seriously, this is important.

Have to add an Amen to this. Keep mouth shut and eyes and ears open. Sounds harsh but it is true. Get a feeling for the various personalities. You need to learn who the steady sticks are and most knowledgable and reliable NFOs so you know who to learn from. You can't possible learn that unless you listen to what other guys say about your various squadronmates and watch for yourself what they do. It isn't like you are going around saluting LTs and calling them "sir". Just realize that you are a FNG and everyone that arrived more than a day before you knows more than you. That means they have earned some respect and you have none. How long does this phase last? Well it depends on the squadron, tempo of ops (you will prove yourself faster or fvuk up sooner if on deployment), and the personalities. Could be a couple months, maybe until you get a complete deployment under your belt. And it does make a difference if you can be funny. Tread lightly though. A FNG trying to be the life of the party is like playing with fire. You could be burned so bad it will leave scars.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
A FNG trying to be the life of the party is like playing with fire. You could be burned so bad it will leave scars.

How often do you see that anyway?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
How often do you see that anyway?
It is a fine line, but it does happen. It can lead to the impression that you're not "serious" or "professional" enough for someone of your position and station. Best advice to to always be seen diligently doing your job, asking questions, and being a social guy who's fun to go out with. That means participation in JO lunches, cross countries, and O club activities. It's not rocket science - just be one of the guys.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, here's a good "new guy" story.

New guy (Pilot) shows up to the squadron at a fairly out-of-control Wetting Down. We had just returned from deployment maybe a month before. New Guy gets blasted and talks...a lot. Proceeds to tell the Skipper (Pilot) how much NFOs suck and why they're worthless.

"Skipper" is actually XO, an NFO. Good times.

HOWEVER, New Guy turned out to be a team player and was an asset to the Wardroom.

As far as advice, your opinion is worthless until you've deployed. At which point you'll be heard, but not taken seriously until you're fully qualified in your position.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
So i shouldnt go in and say i from riddle and i know more than all of you.......

IM JOKING!

Smiles, lots and lots of smiles

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
So i shouldnt go in and say i from riddle and i know more than all of you.......

IM JOKING!

Smiles, lots and lots of smiles

There are guys that come from aviation academies that DO believe that though.... they don't last long, especially considering civilian flying is nowhere close to military flying, unless maybe if you fly C-5s or something.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:

Yeah, that statement really isn't qualified. But, they're going to be closer to straight-and-level, long range navigation (i.e. airliners) than say... a helo or something else. I'm not saying flying a C-5 is like flying civilian, that would be stupid.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Fly Navy said:
There are guys that come from aviation academies that DO believe that though.... they don't last long, especially considering civilian flying is nowhere close to military flying, unless maybe if you fly C-5s or something.

Dont worry about that, i plan on showing up to API/primary acting dumb as a brick. When they ask, I'll tell about hours and school. I realize that its going to be a big change.

beau

Tracom words of wisdom: Never underestimate the importance of Sleep, Food, and Gouge before any event. Know that in flight training the flying is the easy part...being able to put up with various BS and still coming out with a professional attitude is a good characteristic (aka play the game)! Show up early to briefs to hammer out "gotca's" that inevitably come up.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's an example of what not to do. Let's say on the day you check in to your first fleet squadron and decide to celebrate with a good buddy. Don't drink and drive. A DUI on your first day is just not a good thing. By the way, this wasn't me.

Oh yeah, when in P'Cola with all the local gals, just remember this.....beauty is only a light switch away.