• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WOOT! ASTB Done!

KCRSXTypeS

Just finished it up, first time taking it, didn't study (because I didn't know there was a book :icon_rage).

Academic Qualification Rating (AQR): 8
Pilot Flight Officer Rating (PFAR): 8
Naval Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): 8
Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): 64

I don't really know what these mean other than they are pretty good. Only one guy from my battalion has ever received a higher score and he took it last week and got like an 8,9,8. I'm feeling pretty good and just wanted to share with people who know what I'm talking about. My family will have no idea what I'm talking about.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Awesome scores. I called back home after I took it and my family just kind of played along with my excitement. Good job man and good luck.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Woot, Dere it is!!!! Congrats.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Great work!

edit: Nevermind, I saw your profile. Disregard everything below
I'm going to schedule mine tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, what's your major? I've got some engineering under my belt and I still find some of the mechanics tricky.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Academic Qualification Rating (AQR): 8
Pilot Flight Officer Rating (PFAR): 8
Naval Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): 8
Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): 64

Nicely done, please share with the future ASTB test takers how you did so well. (Max score in each category is 9)

-ea6bflyr :)

KCRSXTypeS

Im going to tell you mainly about the stuff that, unless you are an AE engineer, may be difficult for you to know.

There were a few FAA rules and regulations. One of the questions was something like "What is the FAA required safety factor for a utility aircraft?" and you have choices for like 2.4, 2.8, 3.2, 3.4. I put 2.4 because a utility aircraft carries cargo...doesn't need a high safety factor because if it crashes only the pilots die:confused: not sure if it was right though but that was my reasoning. Also, it asked questions like "What do blue lights on an airport indicate?" taxi-way, and "What lights show on an active runway?" white. "What does a flashing green and red light on top of the control tower indicate?" Exercise extreme caution when approaching the runway because the airport is unsafe for landing. Know what classifies an airplane as "high-performance" - More than 200 hp engine.

You will need to know about wings/airfoils. Know what creates lift (Pressure difference between the upper and lower surface of the wing), know Bernoulli's principle, know what camber and chord mean in reference to wings and airfoils. Know aspect ratio in reference to wings, know what monocoque, semi-monocoque, and open truss refer to. Know what an elevator controls, what ailerons control, what rudder controls. Know that the 4 forces acting on a plane are lift/weight and thrust/drag.

The math section can be difficult...I had only about 30 sec. left when I finished it. It asks some stupid questions...the one I remember was "A ranch raises ponies and horses. If 5/6 of the ponies have horseshoes and 1/2 of those ponies are Icelandic ponies, what is the minimum number of ponies the ranch can have?" Then they give you choices...turned out the answer was 12. The only reason it was 12 was because the other choices were 15, 17, 19. Multiply any of those by 5/6 and you dont get a whole number. Know fractions and geometry, it will help.

As far as the reading goes, that seemed really simple to me. Just read the passage and they give you 4 choices of things that you can infer directly from the reading. Some of them may or may not be true, some don't pertain to it at all, and one is dead on. One I remember was like "Galaxies are classified as having 100 billion stars or more. These galaxies rotate and are generally disc shaped. The galaxy in which we live is called the Milky Way and has a large bulge of stars in the center almost 300 million light years across." The answer turned out to be something stupid like "Galaxies have distinct attributes".

The mechanics can be difficult. KNOW PULLEYS!!! The pulley questions were most predominant. They wanted to know if you pull x feet on this rope how far will a block raise. Also they want to know how hard you have to pull on a rope to lift a block of x weight and the rope travels through multiple pulleys. I for the life of me couldn't remember pulleys because its been 2.5 years since I took a statics/dynamics class. They also focus on, "If this gear moves this way which way is this other gear going to move". Know about forces and moments.

The spacial perception was easy for me too because I have played a lot of flight sim games. They give you a picture and it will be tilted at some angle and you have to pick out which airplane picture represents what you are seeing.

The last section is just a recap or a summary of all the other sections. Some of the questions even came directly from the other tests.

If you get the aviation test prep book and study it then you won't have any problem. The questions in there are almost exactly like the test. One exception is that the reading section didn't have anything like "Find the word that doesn't make sense in this paragraph and replace it with a word from below." I was glad it didn't have that.

Anyways, that is about all I can remember right now. Good luck and if you have anymore questions about the test don't hesitate to ask.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
Wow! Those are outstanding scores! Great Job, I can't believe you got those scores without studying! Cheers!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Dude, thanks for that big section of gouge. I'm a bit behind on FAA rules and in statics/dynamics, my worst thing was pulleys. Your info will definitely help.

Jake E

One of the questions was something like "What is the FAA required safety factor for a utility aircraft?" and you have choices for like 2.4, 2.8, 3.2, 3.4. I put 2.4 because a utility aircraft carries cargo...doesn't need a high safety factor because if it crashes only the pilots die:confused: .

The FAA "Utility" classification has nothing to do with carrying cargo, but rather what the aircraft is aerodynamically capable of. Rated at a required +4.4 to -1.76 g's they are generally capable of tame aerobatics (lazy eights, chandelles, etc.) and spins. Aircraft such as the Cessna 172R can be flown in either the Normal or Utility category depending on their loading. Most cargo aircraft are not classified in the Utility category at all. So now if anyone else gets this question...:D Oh, great job on your test!

red_ryder

None
THAT stuff was on your ASTB? Wow, mine was a LOT less in-depth than the one you took, you must have had form 6. :D