• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wondering how bad I've messed up...

ag74683

I just found out about this BDCP program and I am very interested. I have a few questions about some personal things which may/may not hold me back.

I looked at joining the Navy instead of going to college, but I decided to shoot for a degree and then go in as an Officer. My dad retired from the Naval Reserve a few years back as a Lt. Cmdr. and said this was the best option rather than going in as Enlisted.

anyways, on to my problems. I read the sticky at the top so Im basing them around that..

1: Extracurricular Activites - I don't do much with clubs and such, BUT I am in a Fraternity. Does that look good or bad? We used to volunteer and clean up our road, but unfortunately our chapter got shut down because we could not get our numbers up. I was also in Civil Air Patrol for a short time. How's this look?

3: Don't get minors. - Unfortunately, unlike Tom, I did choose to drink underage, and I did get caught. I had an underaged drinking ticket, but I went with the Community Service Deferral and got it dropped. Will this affect my chances?

another thing. My current major is undeclared, I tried various pathways and have found nothing very challenging for me. I had a 3.1 GPA last semester, but due to stupid mistakes, I dropped to a 2.8. I can get it back to 3.1, probably past that, no problem. I plan on declaring this November as a Biology/Ecology Major with a concentration in Geography and Landscape Ecology. Does this count as a technical major?

I took the ADSVAB (at least the one the Recruiter gives you..) when I was looking at enlisting before college, and apparently scored good enough for the recruiter to push Nuclear Engineering school on me. However, I question whether this was because of my score, or because they receive extra money for enlisting someone in that program.

What pathways are available with the BDCP program? I would like to do something within the Submarine community.

EDIT* I know this forum is biased towards Aviators, I just figured Id ask my questions here because you guys seem to know what your talking about. Id love to fly, but because of my vision I cant and dont plan on getting Lasik any time soon

Thanks for any help! I will be talking to my recruiter again either tomorrow or Wednesday.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
3: Don't get minors. - Unfortunately, unlike Tom, I did choose to drink underage, and I did get caught. I had an underaged drinking ticket, but I went with the Community Service Deferral and got it dropped. Will this affect my chances?

I had the exact same thing and told the Navy all about it during my application for NROTC, and I still got my scholarship. Though I did have pretty good grades and extracurriculars in high school. Not sure how more restrictive the BDCP folks might be, but I would imagine they are similar.

nugget81

pilot
Well from the tone of your post, you don't sound ready to apply yet but are willing to work towards getting a commission. Your extra curriculars are good. If you think you need more of them, then join more clubs next semester.

As for your MIP ticket, you need to be honest about it and explain what you learned from it. Naval Officers are not infallible, and the Navy knows that. However, the Navy expects you to learn from your mistakes the first time and move forward.

Next, your GPA is lower than what you admit you can do. Raise it up. You'd be surprised what a 4.0 one semester will do to a 2.8. You'll need a declared major and it doesn't really matter if it considered "technical" or not.

Finally, you need to get in touch with an Officer Recruiter. I realize you worked with an enlisted recruiter before, but stay away from him. You will need to prepare a lot for your application and it will take a considerable amount of time (mine took almost 9 months from starting the paperwork to swearing in.) If you want it bad enough, then go get it! Good Luck!

ag74683

thanks guys!

Where do you find an Officer Recruiter?

Would he/she be in the same location as the enlisted guy?

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
For subs you are looking at the NUPOC program, which is similar to BDCP except that you get E-6 instead of E-3, a signing bonus, and you need a year of calculus and a year of calc-based physics. You also don't need the ASTB. Talk to an officer recruiter about it, he'll probably be pretty happy to get a prospective nuke.

Biology/ecology is not a technical major, but you don't need one as long as you satisfy the calculus and physics requirements. GPA looks low as well, you'll probably need improvement in that area.

Do not go to an enlisted recruiter if you want to be an officer. Go here and type in your zip code.

ag74683

With the NUPOC program, do you need the Calculus and Physics to actually qualify to get it, or do you just have to take it?

Another question. The number to call the Officer recruiter gives me a number nearly 3+ hours from my home. Do I actually have to drive to see him/her, or are there other officer recruiters in my area?

schwarti

Contributor
You don't need to physically meet your recruiter - I swore in a few months ago and still haven't "met" mine. If it comes down to it, you can go to an enlisted recruiter for your PRT and all of that stuff. If you can get one closer to you, great - if not, be prepared to be faxing/scanning/priority mailing a lot of stuff back and forth.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Another question. The number to call the Officer recruiter gives me a number nearly 3+ hours from my home. Do I actually have to drive to see him/her, or are there other officer recruiters in my area?

Probably depends on the recruiter, how desperate he is to make quota, and how strong your packet is. The local Officer Recruiter is in Richmond (we live in Virginia Beach, 2.5 hours away). My son never met the guy; he did everything over the phone, e-mail, and internet, and it turned out fine. You can ask him if he's going to make any trips to somewhere closer to you, and coordinate to meet him there. If the recruiter will also be conducting the interview, you will obviously want / need to meet him face-to-face. Besides, it's not every day you get to take a trip to the Big City from Hikree, North Cakilakee :).

ag74683

Another question...

It looks like the only way to become an Officer on a sub is to be a nuke?

Honestly I know my limits mathematically, and I can say I doubt Id be able to cut it as a Nuclear Propulsion Officer. I see on the Navy website that Nuke Power and Submarine are listed as two separate entities, so I am guessing that this is not the case?

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Another question...

It looks like the only way to become an Officer on a sub is to be a nuke?

Honestly I know my limits mathematically, and I can say I doubt Id be able to cut it as a Nuclear Propulsion Officer. I see on the Navy website that Nuke Power and Submarine are listed as two separate entities, so I am guessing that this is not the case?

You can be a Nuke Power (surface) or a Nuke Power (submarines). Surface nukes work the reactors on the nuke carriers, and will command a small combatant (FFG or DDg perhaps) if they command screen, then go back to be the Reactor Officer post-command. Submarime nukeswill stay in boats the whole time they are at sea unless they are on the strike group staff.

All officers on submarines are Nukes, except the Supply Guy, and even he has to do some nuke study, I believe, to get those coveted submarine pork chop wings.

ag74683

You can be a Nuke Power (surface) or a Nuke Power (submarines). Surface nukes work the reactors on the nuke carriers, and will command a small combatant (FFG or DDg perhaps) if they command screen, then go back to be the Reactor Officer post-command. Submarime nukeswill stay in boats the whole time they are at sea unless they are on the strike group staff.

All officers on submarines are Nukes, except the Supply Guy, and even he has to do some nuke study, I believe, to get those coveted submarine pork chop wings.

I read up a bit more, and it looks like I need to start studying some math :icon_wink

ag74683

Well I called the recruiter.

I guess I need a full year of Calculus and Physics. Thats fine, but I dont have the prerequisites for Calc, and wont be able to finish the full year until Spring 09.

So I really doubt I can manage to do this program, being that I probably graduate 2010-2011...I dont really know right now.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Times are changing. They are using LDOs on subs more and more. We had a non-nuke WEPs right before I left. I don't know if it was a trial run or what. Same ship we had an LDO qual EOOW (he said he was the first to do that on a sub. Not sure of the validity of that.)

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Times are changing. They are using LDOs on subs more and more. We had a non-nuke WEPs right before I left. I don't know if it was a trial run or what. Same ship we had an LDO qual EOOW (he said he was the first to do that on a sub. Not sure of the validity of that.)

Thanks for the tutorial, Nuke. Would I be correct in assuming the Sub LDOs were originally from the enlisted submarine community (and thus nuclear trained to some extent), or could they have been grown elsewhere? WEPS was a commissioned officer, not LDO, correct? If that were the case, where would WEPS go for future assignments if he wanted to stick around?