• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women's OCS medical screen

unrealpolitik

FRAKKING &A%WDIUDF

I got my first dose of guardasil today and warning to take it easy on the upper body exercises for at least a day. Now, I grew up in a medical clinic and am used to shots and needles so usually it's no big deal for me... but this shot HURTS for a good long while, especially if your arm muscles are still in healing or have been through some rough trainings..

just saying.

my next shot will be in mid june... during OCS. I hope it's not that bad physically afterwards the second time.. or that it's taken in to consideration.

WIDGET

Future SWO, I went to OCS in Sep '07. They gave my a PAP along with all the other medical screening on Day 2. It was just one more thing to do ... ears, eyes, pap, x-rays. From what I remember, the girls that were up-to-date didn't have to do it.
You're classing up in 3 days?!?!

Future SWO?

Final Select SWO 1/25 OCS date 6/14/08
Yep, classing up soon and I couldn't be more excited. Thanks for the head's up on the med indoc. Wish me luck.

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
FlyFastNow

Thanks for the insight-- I'm not the original poster but this is in the realm of questions I have before OCS.. Please answer if you can?

1. What medications (if any) are females allowed to bring to OCS? I'd imagine you shouldn't bring any if you can help it (I have no major illness to speak of, thankfully) but I have severe menstrual cramps for two days of the month that basically strip me of appetite and mobility unless I'm on pills-- normal over the counter pain reliever. Should I smuggle? Should I just medicate myself with hormones prior to OCS so that I can fuckover/control my cycle or will that be "caught" by the docs there? Is there any warning about such things at OCS? Not steriods per se, but non-essential hormone pills...

2. I am currently on an oral contraceptive but am thinking about switching to a pill-less method (probably injection since it lasts longer) just to cut down on hassle and medications overall-- is ANYTHING like this covered by the medical process there? Or should I get this started before I leave?

3. Are the new vaccines (example: gardasil) covered at all by the gynos there? or should I get that over with ahead of OCS as well?

I'm still waiting on my final select date.. so I think I have some time to get most medical affairs in order..hopefully a month. I Also work with my mother in a medical clinic in the meantime so these questions are what I think about the most. All my family and friends in the service are males so I have no where else to turn to for questions.

Not to sound like a needy bitch or anything, but I'm curious also-- are there any kind of support groups/gouge dumps or forums as a "sister" to this Air Warriors place where I can ask more exclusively-female questions about being in the service? As I said I've only ever had male family and friends in the Navy (though my mother is Air Force reserve.. but it's difficult to talk to her about some of these issues

Thanks in advance for the help-- anything at all.

Medications are not techincally allowed at OCS. HOWEVER, I do know of people that smuggled things like Advil in... helps big time with cramps, and indoc-week soreness. :) You'd have to ask a Newport OCSer about that, but we got stuff in at ODS and boy did it help.

I will say, if you are on the BCP - bring it. If you're on any mood/anti-anxiety drugs that have been waivered - bring them. Do NOT leave those things behind. The Newport sick-call/pharm system is very inefficient and I saw lots of problems related to those two things. Bring your pills and the prescription for them (very important), or any medical documentation behind them. The Navy will not give you a new presription (and it will be considered so because you're new) without an exam.

As for the OB exam, when I applied for the Navy that was one of the things I had to get done. If there is one on file within the last year, they will not examine you there, rather leave it up to your annual physical when you hit your next command. Pre-screening is considered to be our responsibility before we get there.

As for the depo-provera (the BC shot) - in my non-medical, personal opinion, there are better options and I do not encourage it to my friends when asked. I have seen lots of complications related to depo ie: blood clots, osteoporosis, weight gain >10lbs... There's a reason that as medical professionals, we have to have a special consent signed and documented before administering it. If you're concerned about BCPs and training - which is completely legitimate of a concern - talk to your OB about the NuvaRing. It's much more "off-your-mind" and easier to manage during training (Remember that there is an increased risk of pregnancy the first month or so after you switch BC methods and antibiotics can affect their efficacy). You can also look into Implanon, which is newer, but also non-oral. I would not reccommend the BC patch for a training environment.

As for the Gardasil, I can't say definitively that you can get it at OCS, BUT don't worry. When you get to your station after training, they will give it to you without hassle - even for aviators Gardasil. Most of the time, it's a matter of going to the Vaccination clinic at your local friendly base clinic or hospital, and asking for Gardasil. Aviation side, you'd have to go through your Flight Doc. Unless you're about to hit the age limit, I'd say wait. The Navy will give you Gardasil for free, where if you get it now, you'll have to pay out of pocket and that can run $100+. Plus, it's a three shot series.

Well, hope this helps. :)