• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women's OCS medical screen

Future SWO?

Final Select SWO 1/25 OCS date 6/14/08
I was wondering if I need to schedule a gyno visit before OCS, or if that will happen during Medical when I get there? Sorry if this seems really personal, but I don't want to put it off thinking that it will happen there, and then not get it done for several months. Thanks, and sorry to all the men out there who are probally grossed out!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Seems logical that it will happen when you get there....perhaps some of the females on this site can provide better gouge.

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
Hi. I'm a girl. I went through OCS. I had an aviation physical done before I went to OCS and they did a PAP then. Had I not had it, I would have done it during the medical screening. For the females, it had to be a seperate appointment that was scheduled after your check-in physical, which is a bonus because that means you may miss a few hours of class or drill, so look on the bright side. Of all the things in the world, I'd rather have an OB/GYN exam over drilling or some class like maneuvering boards. Also, you can specifically request an exam in order to get refills on BCPs.

Good luck, and when you get there, remember to run as fast and yell as loud as you can.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Of all the things in the world, I'd rather have an OB/GYN exam over drilling or some class like maneuvering boards.

I can definitely say that the same isn't true of a testicular cancer screen.

Apparently some docs have better hands than others.

MasterBates

I did not mind when VT-28s flight doc checked me when I had my physical last year..

Not looking forward to this years one.. (No female docs in Krock)

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Hi. I'm a girl....

OK. Stop me if you've heard this one.

A blonde's house is on fire and she calls the fire department. "Help me, my house is on fire" the blonde woman says.

The fireman says, "Ok ma'am stay calm...how do we get to your house?"

Blonde: "Duh...Big Red Truck"

:) Just because you seem to be very proud of your hair color.

unrealpolitik

FlyFastNow

Thanks for the insight-- I'm not the original poster but this is in the realm of questions I have before OCS.. Please answer if you can?

1. What medications (if any) are females allowed to bring to OCS? I'd imagine you shouldn't bring any if you can help it (I have no major illness to speak of, thankfully) but I have severe menstrual cramps for two days of the month that basically strip me of appetite and mobility unless I'm on pills-- normal over the counter pain reliever. Should I smuggle? Should I just medicate myself with hormones prior to OCS so that I can fuckover/control my cycle or will that be "caught" by the docs there? Is there any warning about such things at OCS? Not steriods per se, but non-essential hormone pills...

2. I am currently on an oral contraceptive but am thinking about switching to a pill-less method (probably injection since it lasts longer) just to cut down on hassle and medications overall-- is ANYTHING like this covered by the medical process there? Or should I get this started before I leave?

3. Are the new vaccines (example: gardasil) covered at all by the gynos there? or should I get that over with ahead of OCS as well?

I'm still waiting on my final select date.. so I think I have some time to get most medical affairs in order..hopefully a month. I Also work with my mother in a medical clinic in the meantime so these questions are what I think about the most. All my family and friends in the service are males so I have no where else to turn to for questions.

Not to sound like a needy bitch or anything, but I'm curious also-- are there any kind of support groups/gouge dumps or forums as a "sister" to this Air Warriors place where I can ask more exclusively-female questions about being in the service? As I said I've only ever had male family and friends in the Navy (though my mother is Air Force reserve.. but it's difficult to talk to her about some of these issues

Thanks in advance for the help-- anything at all.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
FlyFastNow

Thanks for the insight-- I'm not the original poster but this is in the realm of questions I have before OCS.. Please answer if you can?

1. What medications (if any) are females allowed to bring to OCS? I'd imagine you shouldn't bring any if you can help it (I have no major illness to speak of, thankfully) but I have severe menstrual cramps for two days of the month that basically strip me of appetite and mobility unless I'm on pills-- normal over the counter pain reliever. Should I smuggle? Should I just medicate myself with hormones prior to OCS so that I can fuckover/control my cycle or will that be "caught" by the docs there? Is there any warning about such things at OCS? Not steriods per se, but non-essential hormone pills...

2. I am currently on an oral contraceptive but am thinking about switching to a pill-less method (probably injection since it lasts longer) just to cut down on hassle and medications overall-- is ANYTHING like this covered by the medical process there? Or should I get this started before I leave?

3. Are the new vaccines (example: gardasil) covered at all by the gynos there? or should I get that over with ahead of OCS as well?

I'm still waiting on my final select date.. so I think I have some time to get most medical affairs in order..hopefully a month. I Also work with my mother in a medical clinic in the meantime so these questions are what I think about the most. All my family and friends in the service are males so I have no where else to turn to for questions.

Not to sound like a needy bitch or anything, but I'm curious also-- are there any kind of support groups/gouge dumps or forums as a "sister" to this Air Warriors place where I can ask more exclusively-female questions about being in the service? As I said I've only ever had male family and friends in the Navy (though my mother is Air Force reserve.. but it's difficult to talk to her about some of these issues

Thanks in advance for the help-- anything at all.
speaking from experience as someone who's girlfriend went on the shot and has had friend's girlfriends go on the birth control shot ... DO NOT DO IT!

the only bonus is that you stop your periods, but the major unfortunate side effect is that you go batshit crazy.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Because I love pretending to be a doctor and giving out medical advice to strangers on the internet, I'll suggest that it sounds like an IUD might be perfect for you. That's about as low maintenance as it gets. Don't have one myself but all my many friends who do love them.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
chick centric site..

Strangely enough, I found out about the fighter chick site on AW - www.fighterchicks.com. There's some pretty good gouge about the female flight suit, pee'ing in the jet, having kids and staying on active duty/flight status. It's mostly Air Force women, but a few in the sea going services too.

In general, you should probably get your medications straightened out before you get to OCS so your body has time to acclimate to them and you can ensure that they are the best ones for you. (especially the ones that alter your hormone levels, emotions, etc)

Best -
Rugger

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
I'm back. If you want to just PM me all of your personal questions, you can. I will give you my email address and/or phone number. I had all these questions before I left and found someone on this site to answer them, but we also met up before I went and we hung out and I got to speak with her in person.

I will answer some of your questions quick because I have to study, but you can PM me and I'll give you more details later.

You can bring meds to OCS. In addition to BCPs, I brought probably some excedrin or something for when I got sore (you WILL be sore). I hid them, just like I hid my cell phone. Drill instructors will go through your shit searching for stuff if you don't remember to lock it up. I will tell you where to hide it if you PM me. I know DIs read this website and I don't want to screw anyone over. You can take your BCPs "all the way through" so that you don't take the week of placebo pills and you won't get your period. Consider that if you know you will be getting your period the first two weeks. If not, its not a big deal after that.

The navy will put you on whichever BC option you want. They have IUDs. The have the shot. They have Seasonale. They have the patch. Just talk about it w/your doc when you check in. Also, the navy does have Guardasil-- I got it. I don't know for sure, but they MAY be hesitant to give it to you while at OCS because its very time-sensitive... meaning if you don't know you get one shot, then you have to go back exactly three months (if I remember correctly) later and get the second one, and then the third one is the same. You might just need to get it when you're at your duty station, to make sure you don't forget the second and third ones. Ask the doc... otherwise, the navy will give it to you if you ask, but your ob/gyn should ask you if you want it.

Hope this helps. Gotta study now. PM me and I'll give you more details or you can ask more questions if you think of them. I had a lot too, so don't be shy.

unrealpolitik

speaking from experience as someone who's girlfriend went on the shot and has had friend's girlfriends go on the birth control shot ... DO NOT DO IT!

the only bonus is that you stop your periods, but the major unfortunate side effect is that you go batshit crazy.

thanks, I appreciate the warning and will be overcautious about starting the shot; but I'm neither your girlfriend nor her friends..each woman reacts differently anyway. I'm not dumb enough take it without feeling the side-effects firsthand.

Because I love pretending to be a doctor and giving out medical advice to strangers on the internet, I'll suggest that it sounds like an IUD might be perfect for you. That's about as low maintenance as it gets. Don't have one myself but all my many friends who do love them.

Thanks Vill, I've considered a lot of the options..and it seems like an IUD does rank high on my list of alternate options. These days I'm just comparing costs and whether or not it will affect my physical activities. If IUD only causes cramping right after insertion and has minimal to no hormonal effects.. I may choose it.

Rugger
Thanks! I bookmarked the site for further browsing. And double thanks for the reminder about time-lapse side effects. It looks like I'll go ahead and get my medical affairs in order. Even if I weren't about to leave, I figure I'm old enough to get this taken care of.

FlyFastNow
Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule! I'll go ahead and shoot off a PM.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Thanks Vill, I've considered a lot of the options..and it seems like an IUD does rank high on my list of alternate options. These days I'm just comparing costs and whether or not it will affect my physical activities. If IUD only causes cramping right after insertion and has minimal to no hormonal effects.. I may choose it.

There is both a hormonal and non-hormonal IUD. Even the former has only a tiny amount of hormones, so either way, you will have less artifical hormone in your body than you would with the pill, shot, etc.