• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

women aviators

country_goal

I am a junior in college and applying for PLC this summer. I've been told that I should not persue the Marines since it is more male oriented than the other branches and that women in the Marines is strongly discouraged, aviation or not. Is this just a myth or is there some resentment toward women aviators in the Marines? or for all the branches for that matter? Any advice, comments, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Yes, that is just a myth and a load of crap...I would say ignore whoever is feeding you that crap and do what you want to do...if you want to become a Marine then go for it no matter what...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Concur w/ jam.... I know a ton of female Marines who absolutely enjoy being a Marine and some who don't.

Being in the military (regardless of branch) is what you make of it, and your gender can or can't play a large role in it, its up to you. That's what I've seen in my limited experience in and around the Navy.

Set your goals and go for them. If that means becoming a Marine, then become a Marine.

G'Luck.

riley

Male oriented?... well, the Marine Corps has the smallest percentage of women out of all the services. But don't let that be the reason to talk you out of it.

You may encounter some resentment from people if you can't carry your own weight. I resented very much the women who couldn't hump their own pack or fell out of runs. But then you'll see dudes having problems too and I resented them as well. My advice, go for what you want, train properly so there is no question that you belong. You will do fine. The intelligent will judge you based on your capabilities, the ignorant based on what is betwen your legs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Who is telling you these things? Seems like they have their own agenda. Otherwise, everyone else has hit the high points.

country_goal

I'm glad to hear it is just a myth. My parents are uncomfortable with me joing the military, let alone the Marines, that they had my pastor call to try to talk me out of it. He was in the Army for lik 8 years and was telling me all this, and that if I really wanted to fly to go AF or Navy. I resented that and the implication that women shouldn't go into the Marines. Thanks for the tips and support.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a junior in college and applying for PLC this summer. I've been told that I should not persue the Marines since it is more male oriented than the other branches and that women in the Marines is strongly discouraged, aviation or not.
Who's spouting this bs to you? Parents maybe? Boyfriend?

ok...disregard

BT

country_goal said:
I'm glad to hear it is just a myth. My parents are uncomfortable with me joing the military, let alone the Marines, that they had my pastor call to try to talk me out of it. He was in the Army for lik 8 years and was telling me all this, and that if I really wanted to fly to go AF or Navy. I resented that and the implication that women shouldn't go into the Marines. Thanks for the tips and support.
Maybe you should tell the Pastor that if he really wanted to be a Christian, he should have been a Roman Catholic.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

He is from a different time and a different military ...let alone the obvious...he was in the ARMY not the Marines.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
let women fly? I wasn't even aware we let them vote!

j/k

Here's a Navy male's view...

I think no matter which any branch of the service you join there is going to be a different view/standard for women. My squadron has some mighty fine female aviators, both NFO and Pilot. I'm more than happy to fly with any of them. Our best NFO is a woman (who, it’s been reported, has Jedi powers).

That said, there are some women who TOTALLY bring the rest down in the eyes of their male peers. There are those who use flirting or "feminine wiles" to get their way - but they are no different from the guys who kiss ass in their own way. The problem is, when a guy does it, he's a kiss ass, when a woman does it, there are those who will say, "that's why there shouldn't be women in the military."

This is an old attitude and it is changing. However, the military is still very much male orientated. I don't want to dissuade you from joining, quite on the contrary, we need more women in the service, to show that they can get the job done just as well as a male. But no matter what anyone says, there is a double standard - but only by women joining the military and performing at the same standard set for males can that double standard evanesce.

I hope you join the Marines and become a Naval Aviator. The Marines are a fine bunch of men and women, if you have the drive, the determination to become a Marine, i applaud you - i took the easy way out and joined the navy :icon_tong

Good luck!