• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wisdom Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonsparx

And if so, can you get commissioned with your wisdom teeth in, and have them taken out on the Navy's dime?

Paul Burke

I don't know if it's necesary to have them removed before API however, you will want to get them taken out well before OCS. Once they start giving you problems the Navy will take them out and they do not use gas. They give you a local and rip those suckers right out. But if you are one of those types that likes the whole pain thing then don't worry about it.

vballindaytona

I got mine taken out at wilford hall medical center on lackland AFB in TX when i was a dependant. they used gas, and did the absolute best job i could have imagined possible. got all four taken out at once, don't remember a thing, and only took 3 days to recover. 2 months to schedule the appt though.
jonathan

Gator

In order to be accepted for MSG duty in the Marines you must have your wisdom teeth removed. Just my luck. I got all four of mine removed at once and it wasn't that bad. The only thing that bothered me was that I was awake the whole time. I thought that they were going to dislocate my jaw trying to pull them out. They ended up having to break my bottom ones into pieces to get them out. Over all it wasn't a bad experience, but I wouldn't want to get them out while in OCS.

Ghish

What if you don't have problems with your wisdom teeth. My dentist said that my wisdom teeth have grown in straight and will not give me any trouble. Will the military still want me to remove them?

Gator

I had no problems with my wisdom teeth when the military took them out. I had to have mine removed because of the duty that I was accepted for. The Corps did want to worry about me having problems with my wisdom teeth down the road when I was stationed in some third world country where a dentist can not be found.

dawgfighter

quote:
I had four teeth removed during the whole "orthodontics to give Michael a pretty smile" era, so I had EXTRA plenty room when my wisdom teeth came in, I wonder if they'll take that into consideration

Micheal,

I've been there and done that with teeth extractions. I've had a total of eight pulled so my mouth could look "magazine" pretty after my ortho experience. BTW, it was an experience that SHOULD have lasted 24 mos. but ended up 5 yrs. The orthodontist lied!!!

Erin

Edited by - dawgfighter on 03/27/2002 14:57:13

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I had my wisdom teeth taken in out while I was in the RAG. No gas, just a local. 4 hours later while the doctor literally had his knee in my chest, he ripped the last one out. 4 days later, I had two impacted sockets. After 3 weeks off, I was back on flight status. No problem. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Mahler

Ouch, that doesn't sound like much fun. Of course, you could just be one of the lucky few who's wisdom teeth fit and don't need to be removed

James

Jeff29

Science Project
One reason that the Navy likes to take them out is that most people have a hard time cleaning them, and they will eventually cause you problems.

Another consideration is OCS. If you show up to OCS and they decide that they need to yank your teeth, you get rolled back to the next class - not fun.

Mahler

I was lucky enough to go to ACES back when they had it, and during the physical, the dentist didn't say anything about my wisdom teeth. Hopefully they won't say anything when I head back there in a few weeks

James

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in API and I still have my wisdom teeth. Whether or not you have to have them taken out will be determined at the NOMI physical at the beginning of OCS. They will classify you (I, II or III), and that will determine whether or not you need dental work done before you can continue. Several people in my OCS class were told they needed to have their teeth removed, but they could wait until between OCS and API. I was told that I needed to have mine removed during the NOMI physicfcal, but when I went back to schedule between OCS and API, they said I wouldn't have to get them taken out until at least my next duty station, end of story.

Dave Shutter

Hey Sam, how's it been...

On the other side of the fence...the Army dentists took one look at me and said "they gotta go!" I spent four hours in a chair, got 28 shots (most in the roof of my mouth) had one tooth taken out whole and the other three drilled into little pieces and picked out a bit at a time. There's still a little bit down in the left side of my jaw that I feel from time to time. Did I mention my dentist was a fellow E-4 who constantly referred to his manual to make sure he was pulling the right teeth and holding his instruments the right way. I got a bottle of bright red happy pills though, TYLOX, (concentrated coedine!) and spent the next week telling strangers how much I loved them and magically avoided getting dry sockets since I lit up as soon as I got back to my room.

All in all it depends on your teeth. It's generall standard practice to pull funky looking ones just to get them out of the way but it seems the Navy isn't as dead set on it as the Army was, after all, in the future out on a ship you'll have dentists where you may not out in a fox hole.

Mahler

I got a catagory II dental because he said I had a few teeth that need filling. I have to take care of that before I head back down for OCS.

Actually, I only have my top two wisdom teeth left. When I was little, I went in for a routine exam and on the x-ray they found my bottom wisdom teeth beginning to form. They were still just little jelliton(sp?) pockets in my gums, so all they had to do was make a small insicion and remove them with a pair of tweezers. Because of that, I never had bottom wisdom teeth grow in, and it made room for my top ones so they now fit with no problem. I lucked out on that one.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.