• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wisdom Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I heard that if someone has wisdom teeth, NAMI will pull them before you can class up. Is that true and should I go get it done before I report? Let me know.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Goplay234, Navy Medicine pretty much requires that the wisdom teeth go away in order to get the class one dental status required for flight. If you don't deploy, and you're not flying, you may get away with keeping them for awhile. Mine were in for about 2.5 years while I was active duty, but when I started trying to get that flight physical, the trouble started. Talk to your recruiter about dental requirements for flight physicals. He may be able to give you more current info. It seems like a waste to spend your own money to get some teeth yanked. If you're already active duty, they'll do it for free, obviously. Good luck, and follow the dentist's instructions. Dry sockets SUCK!!

LTJG G.

otbrefugee

I don't know if it makes a difference in whether your wisdom teeth are impacted or they have come in, but I have my wisdom teeth (which grew in) and have a upchit for flying status. I guess it all depends.

Esign at NASC

OK so it IS possible to keep them? B/c mine are coming in just fine and it seems really stupid to yank something that'll cause no problems. And I'm a squid, I have a low tolerance to pain(whimper).

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
The info about impacted wisdom teeth is correct. If they're not impacted, they can technically stay. Get X-rays and have them evaluated. Funny thing about impacted wisdom teeth, most people don't even know it. Mine never hurt, and all my teeth grew in straight. Those first years in the Navy I had to beat the dentists back with a stick. I finally gave up when one of the oral surgeons said they'd cause lots of problems later on. The longer they stay in, the harder it is to yank 'em out. As I said above, if they are removed, follow the doc's orders. TAKE YOUR PAIN NARCS--don't try to be a tough guy/gal. It's much harder to control the pain if it gets out of control. I speak from experience...

LTJG G. MSC, USNR

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been in for 6 years and still have my wisdom teeth. They are fully in and causing no problems. But for my last 2 flight physicals, the doc has been trying to tell me to have them pulled. He said "when I'm 50, they will be a problem". I told him that when I'm 49 he can have them. My advice, don't have unecessary surgery.

Rainman

pilot
true dat true dat. .

got em

plenty of room for them. .have never really had a discussion with flight docs about them. UInavy will concur that I have a large mouth (wait, that didn't sound right) .. alright well .. I say what's on my mind--so there's that.

Have a lovely thursday.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Cool, cause I have mine. My dentist say that they are fine. Plus, I got my initial flight physical last year and I didn't get flagged then. I just got spooked by a buddy of mine who visited me while he was on leave. They pulled his. Thanks for the info. It's one less thing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.