• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

winter select vs spring/summer select

Doer

Is there any truth the rumor that there are "historically" or "traditionally" less jet spots open for guys selecting in the spring and summer as compared to those selecting in Winter? In short, is there a disadvantage, based on recent years, in finishing primary in April or May as opposed to December or January?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
No, but those rumors will always be there and there will be "a guy" who "should" have gotten jets but because he selected at this time he got screwed and ended up with his second choice.
Stand by for that guy to post a reply.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Or a dude who finished helo advanced with a 33 or so NSS and still says the Navy screwed him out of getting jets. Still trying to figure that one out...

Edit: And no that wasn't me.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Really what does it matter? You really don't have any choice at all when you finish Primary, so there is really no use worrying about it.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
There is truth that selections come in waves...as does everything else in the military. But saying when who will have what is a pretty complicated thing. I was actually suprised at how much effort is put into forcasting what slots will be needed when. Even so, I haven't found anyone who has a good "rythm method" (I knew 7th grade health class birth control methods would come in handy here one day) to determine it.

Good luck, though.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
There is truth that selections come in waves...as does everything else in the military. But saying when who will have what is a pretty complicated thing. I was actually suprised at how much effort is put into forcasting what slots will be needed when. Even so, I haven't found anyone who has a good "rythm method" (I knew 7th grade health class birth control methods would come in handy here one day) to determine it.

Good luck, though.

I also heard that if a jet slot is open the class after you, but not your class and you're competetive, you might be rolled back if you're looked favorably upon by the CO, instructors, whoever. Just a rumor.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I heard a rumor that if you knock on the CO's door during your first week at Primary and tell him how much you want to fly jets and nothing else, he might slip a note in your training jacket for the instructors to boost your grades to make you more competitive for jets. If you graduate with over a 60 NSS, they'll actually open another jet slot to accomodate you if the slots fill up.

snake020

Contributor
The A-pool guys were telling me a reliable source passed on the reliable scuttlebutt that if you show up to primary everyday with a 1:48 scale model of the Hornet, they'll usually find a way to slot you for jets, with even more bonus points if you get ones that have Boeing decals instead of the old McDonnell Douglas ones. True story.