• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

wings gift

hscs

pilot
Would be careful about the butt pads -- they are not flight approved per NAVAIR. They could cause issues with your back should you ever crash.

MasterBates

Please explain this back issue, and how more energy dissapation would screw you up.

From what Doc has explained to me, it is a concern for ejection seats (mostly with seat-slap) but for RW, its more energy absorbtion, and therefore good.

hscs

pilot
There was a message put out about a year ago -- not sure exact date, my memory fails me. Basically, the worry was that people are out buying seat cushions from anywhere and everywhere -- and NAVAIR hasn't looked into it.

As for why, (from what I understand -- am not a doc), the cushion would cause your body to move separately from the seat stroke -- so when the seat bottomed out -- you stood the chance of screwing up your back. Kinda the opposite deal of an ejection seat going up... In reality, I just think that the NAVAIR folks haven't really looked into the issue, so they banned them all.

In reality, I don't think they are necessary -- even with the kevlar bucket seats in the H and the S.

Pags

N/A
pilot
In reality, I don't think they are necessary -- even with the kevlar bucket seats in the H and the S.

There's nothing worse than sitting in the helo and feeling the air-filled seat pad deflate underneath you on hour .5 of a 6hr flight. From then until you get back home you're sitting on nothing but kevlar.

But, to get back to the topic of this thread: Booze.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
On two transpacs in the A6, we took bubble wrap with us and sat on it for comfort, occasionally popping bubbles to change the feel. It also provided entertainment, since it is hard to stay amused and interested over 9 hour flights. You can only talk about other guy's wives so much, and the tanking evolutions with the Air Force were all uneventful (occasionally colorful, but uneventful).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
On two transpacs .... it is hard to stay amused and interested over 9 hour flights. You can only talk about other guy's wives so much....
..... And boats, and vacations, and kids, and investments, and stewardesses (F/A's), and what's for dinner, and where are we going to meet for drinks, and what an asshole other guy is (the one who's out of the cockpit going to the head), and what assholes everyone else is ... present company excluded, of course .... :)

.... welcome to my world; the world of the transpacific international Airline Pilot. ;)

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I had the opportunity to hear about the whole seat cushion issue. There was a fast mover who sat on a seat cushion and when he ejected, it destroyed his legs because he hit the instrument console on the way out. The NAVAIR guys couldn't figure a way around it, so they said no to everyone.
Personally, I couldn't fly the Phrog without a seat cushion and it goes with me even if I have to do an FCF Ground turn.

As for a gift... whatever would make the person happy. I didn't get an aviation specific gift when I got my wings, and I was perfectly happy. It was gift enough just to have my family there to see me wing.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The High Road

I'll try and offer some "normal" recommendations:
1. A set of 24K wings. Anyone earning their wings (in any A/C) would appreciate them.
2. An aviators watch (Breitling, TAG Huer, Rolex, etc)
3. A nice, framed, multi-matted picture with pictures of every A/C he/she flew in flight school and a set of wings.
4. A good bottle of scotch and some good crystal glasses.
5. A better bottle of wine and some good wine glasses.
6. A box of "really good" cigars.