• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wingnut172: A-6 Sea Stories? *thread split*

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
???

magnifyingglasswz4.jpg

You must be farsighted ... or Farsi-sighted ... it's more like:

I've paid my dues -
Time after time -
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime -
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face -
But I've come through
(And we mean to go on and on and on and on)

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world -

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
A-6 Sea Stories?

Hey all,

Just went looking for an old article by a "Allen Smith" about A-6 combat in Vietnam, and in the process found that he turned out to be a fraud...disappointing.

Anyway, does anybody have any REAL Intruder or Prowler stories? What was it like to fly? I always wanted to fly the Intruder, but was born too late...

Any stories out there?

Evan

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cron said:
Ok, so why does the A-6 radar look like a children's book? :D
That's actually a pretty good depiction of the "A" model and later VGI ... the info in NAV or ATTACK was fed off the B/N's side .... high-tech all WX ATTACK at it's finest .... we did Sesame Street reruns for sims ... :eek:

Redux

Only outside looking in as a roof pounder they came back with more damage imaginable and still able to fly. Totally smashed radomes and leading edges that looked like a saw blade after hitting trees (literally) while dodging SAMS! They weren't pretty but they were one tough somebitch. I imagine pics are available if one had access to VA-75's arcives.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
That's actually a pretty good depiction of the "A" model and later VGI ... the info in NAV or ATTACK was fed off the B/N's side .... high-tech all WX ATTACK at it's finest .... we did Sesame Street reruns for sims ... :eek:

I assume the VGI was a sort of weather radar. At first I thought it was a bomb scope, or one of the new Highway-In-The-Sky displays. Did the B/N have a similar display, I'm assuming this is before for the days of glass cockpits and the ability to have multi-function displays?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I assume the VGI was a sort of weather radar. At first I thought it was a bomb scope, or one of the new Highway-In-The-Sky displays. Did the B/N have a similar display, I'm assuming this is before for the days of glass cockpits and the ability to have multi-function displays?

VDI ... as in "Vertical Display Indicator" ... I hit the wrong key. The B/N had what you might call a more "traditional" radar screen w/cursor -- the "orange" round displays in the pix -- the pilot's (orange screen depiction, again) was a somewhat usable repeater off the B/N's main radar screen -- the B/N's always had a cover/screen on it -- couldn't see the screen w/out it in the daytime and it would light up the cockpit @ night w/out it ... :)

radarhood.jpg

From the web:
First used in the A2F Grumman Intruder (old designation for what became the A-6A), the Vertical Display Indicator (VDI) was a forerunner in equipment designed and adapted to fit the way a pilot functions. The VDI was a head-down cathode ray tube display which simulated real-world conditions, enabling a pilot to fly an aircraft during takeoff, navigation, attack maneuvering and landing modes as though in visual contact with his surroundings. This display technique is known as Contact Analog. The revolutionary :)D)“highway in the sky” concept was developed under the Army–Navy Instrumentation Program in response to a need for simplified cockpit instrumentation and all-weather flight capability. Kaiser Aircraft & Electronics (now Kaiser Electronics) built the first instrumentation system in the late 1950s. The original operational display presented ground and sky texture to the pilot with a well-defined horizon for attitude, “highway in the sky” for steering and numerous other symbols for execution of various attack maneuvers :)icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:). In the mid-seventies heading, radar altitude, vertical speed, angle-of-attack and landing needles were added to the display (I never had this mode). Both versions of the VDI provided ground contours for low-altitude terrain avoid-ance maneuvering while in Terrain Clearance mode (but is was most definitely TC in its infancy -- believe it). :)

I gotta move this stuff to another thread ... it's got nuthin' to do w/ "freedom of speech in Europe".

*edit* ... well, that certainly worked "well" .... duplicates everywhere ... fuck me.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We called them the moving "cow patties"....

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
I'd been to the Intruder Association before, although the website seems newer than I remember it being. I was just wondering if anyone here had some first hand sea stories, don't know how many Intruder pilots / BN's / ECMO's are on here... :)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Just went looking for an old article by a "Allen Smith" about A-6 combat in Vietnam, and in the process found that he turned out to be a fraud...disappointing.

More importantly, does anyone have any of Allan Smith's sea stories that he was peddling before he was outed?

I've only read the stuff that used to be on the POW Awareness Network about him.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. I'd been to the Intruder Association before, although the website seems newer than I remember it being.
2. I was just wondering if anyone here had some first hand sea stories ...
3. ... don't know how many Intruder pilots / BN's / ECMO's are on here... :)

1. The website was revamped over the past year or so -- all the "old" info is still there presented in a new(er) format -- some "new" stuff is now present, i.e., artificial reefs and such ... and it even includes pictures ripped off from former A-6 drivers without their permission(s) ... :)

2. Yes, I was wondering that as well ... I suspect there are some ... again, some of the best ARE on that website.

3. I think there's a few from each seat ... why don't you check the members list under "A-6" for starters ... ?:)