• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winged FO's Start Talking! (please)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is definitely still some of that in the strike fighter community, especially with the guys who started in Tomcats. VAQ remains the most egalitarian community for NFOs in that sense.

Brett

mid1510

There is definitely still some of that in the strike fighter community, especially with the guys who started in Tomcats. VAQ remains the most egalitarian community for NFOs in that sense.

Brett

I guess I've just always been intrigued about putting ordnance on target. I know that VAQ has an awesome mission in general, but what is the community doing on a deployment now in Afghanistan? I am reading that VFA is dropping, but there doesn't seem to be much of a mission for VAQ right now.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Why do so many NFOs have pilot-envy? I'm really looking forward to flying in whichever platform I end up in, but the thought of piloting the plane makes my stomach turn.

yakboyslim

None
Why do so many NFOs have pilot-envy? I'm really looking forward to flying in whichever platform I end up in, but the thought of piloting the plane makes my stomach turn.

I haven't personally talked to any winged NFO's with pilot-envy. As far as SNFO's with pilot envy, I think that passes.

I know for me personally I started with a little bit of pilot envy, because I think I could enjoy and excel at the stick and throttle stuff. But now that I'm getting into the thick of instruments I don't feel the envy anymore. Like Brett said, I don't think I am going to be spinning winds and doing manual pencil navigation while giving minute long lectures about every turn in the real plane, but just knowing that I am being trained for task saturation is exciting. I think most SNFO's have trouble imagining how they will be as busy as the pilot and that is where the envy comes from.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
This is a big question I have had. I have been torn between hoping to select Rhinos or Growlers. I usually end up on the Rhino side.

However, (and this is nothing against you Radical Dude), I do not want to be surrounded by people who feel they need to prove their worth (i.e. second class citizens). I also do not want to be around pilots who wish they didn't have a WSO. Maybe I would be better off trying for the Growler route.
The pressure to prove your worth in the RAG is not limited to the double-anchor side of the house. Believe me when I say all cones are second class citizens.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I've just always been intrigued about putting ordnance on target. I know that VAQ has an awesome mission in general, but what is the community doing on a deployment now in Afghanistan? I am reading that VFA is dropping, but there doesn't seem to be much of a mission for VAQ right now.
Actually the opposite is true. There's not a whole lot of bomb dropping going on in OEF these days. Conversely, there is more daily tasking for EA in OEF then all the VAQ aircraft in theater can support. That's why there are always a CVN-based VAQ squadron and an expeditionary one in Baghram at all times. Can't get into the details of the missions on this forum, but VAQ crews are supporting ground operations around the clock in Afghanistan and have been since the USN arrived on scene in 2001.

That said, if you want to drop bombs, go VFA.

Brett

mid1510

Brett hit the nail on the head. Strikes and Composite flights are very challenging and the performance bar is high. The Strike flights during advanced training is time compressed and it's where most failures occur.

As an NFO, you can bank on the fact that you have a higher likelihood of doing a disassociated sea tour. Also, the ability to fly once you go off career track is very limited.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr, can you please explain the second part of your post?

Edit: I've been told that pilots and FO's follow the same career path.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr, can you please explain the second part of your post?

Edit: I've been told that pilots and FO's follow the same career path.

Sure it's the same career path, but it takes longer for a jet pilot to go from street to fleet. A majority of pilots hit their fleet squadron as a LT and screen for LCDR during their shore tour. Depending on timing, they may or may not have to do a disassociated sea tour.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sure it's the same career path, but it takes longer for a jet pilot to go from street to fleet. A majority of pilots hit their fleet squadron as a LT and screen for LCDR during their shore tour. Depending on timing, they may or may not have to do a disassociated sea tour.

-ea6bflyr ;)

This is something that was somehow lost on me before I got to my fleet sqdn, but at least for VFA pilots, the LT's are first tour and make up the JOPA, and then the dept heads are LCDR's (or in their last month or two of being LT's) and generally on their second sea tour. Most guys/gals pick up LCDR sometime towards the end of their first shore tours, ie RAG IP/Topgun/VX/etc. Being a super JO seems to be pretty rare, though I know a couple who have done it, though just barely. It's a lot more common for WSO's to be junior JG's by the time they hit the fleet.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Lots or rah rah here for both 1310s or 1320s.

Bottom line - do the best you can, do what you want, don't leave any "what if's" or "what could have beens" on the table. Lastly, you should question seriously people who sound like they're trying to sell their career path/choices/experiences to you - it's often (not always) the sign of insecurity or regret.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Bottom line - do the best you can, do what you want, don't leave any "what if's" or "what could have beens" on the table. Lastly, you should question seriously people who sound like they're trying to sell their career path/choices/experiences to you - it's often (not always) the sign of insecurity or regret.
Good point all. LSO and I are probably two of the most fervent defenders of our respective designators in our community. He'll call me on my BS when I get on my high horse, and I'll do the same for him. That's how it's supposed to (and usually does) work in a fleet squadron and everyone seeems to get along. Looking at the general level of discussion on AW about the great battle of the designators (from as much objectivity as I can muster), there are definitely 1310s that tend to flaunt their primadonna side, but a great deal of that comes from the single seat/non-NFO platforms. In real life, it's not an issue. I can't think of a single time in my three fleet Prowler squadrons where there's ever been any friction between designators.

There also seems to be a tendency for some 1310s (or SNAs :rolleyes:) to disrespect people who have chosen NFO over Pilot. After all why in the world would you possibly want to be an NFO if you could be a pilot (like me)? This attitude is what drives some of the designator selling here by NFOs. It's the response to an (ignorant) assertion of primacy by some pilots - it's the natural response to an attack. We've shown that two people in this thread have chosen NFO over pilot and are satisfied with that choice. So, when I sell being an NFO, it's to demonstrate that it's an equally valid alternative to Pilot for those that might not want to be a pilot, but feel otherwise dissuaded based on some of the disrespect shown on here to NFOs.

LSO is right - don't have any "what if" or "could have been" thoughts. That argument works both ways. The bottom line is that people should do what they think most closely alligns with their interests and abilities, knowing that their contribution in the fleet will be on a level playing field, regardless of designator.

Brett

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
don't have any "what if" or "could have been" thoughts. That argument works both ways. The bottom line is that people should do what they think most closely alligns with their interests and abilities, knowing that their contribution in the fleet will be on a level playing field, regardless of designator.

yeah, i should have included that disclaimer. the bit of advice that I offered transcends designators (or really anything else in your professional life).

As an aside, I married a 1320 ;) and she's alright!

Pags

N/A
pilot

Good advice. If you want to be an NFO, then be an NFO and fuck anyone who gives you grief over it.