• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Windsurfing?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So here's my Way The Hell Outta Left Field question for the day: anyone around here know anything about windsurfing? Specifically, what kind of cash I'd be laying out for a good-but-not-top-of-the-line board.

The two places I'm likely to be for the next 10 years (P'cola and Corpus) are both supposed to be good spots for windsurfing, and I was looking for a good waterborne hobby that's cheaper than a boat.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
So here's my Way The Hell Outta Left Field question for the day: anyone around here know anything about windsurfing? Specifically, what kind of cash I'd be laying out for a good-but-not-top-of-the-line board.

The two places I'm likely to be for the next 10 years (P'cola and Corpus) are both supposed to be good spots for windsurfing, and I was looking for a good waterborne hobby that's cheaper than a boat.

My dad has been doing it now for about 10 years. He picked it up late in life and is in love with it (now 63). I think his first setup he got used off of ebay for only $400-500 and now he is on some much better equipment that is a few thousand. Tried it out once when I was visiting and I spent most of the day hauling the mast up, losing my balance, falling off the board, climbing back on, and repeating. Tons of fun and good arm workout.

I think it depends on a lot of sports that require "equipment." If you want to get in cheap and see if you like it rent first, then buy used, and later on upgrade if you stick with it. I see guys all the time buy brand new dive gear out here in Hawaii and then end up going like once or twice. Silly if you ask me.

phrogpilot73

I think it depends on a lot of sports that require "equipment." If you want to get in cheap and see if you like it rent first, then buy used, and later on upgrade if you stick with it. I see guys all the time buy brand new dive gear out here in Hawaii and then end up going like once or twice. Silly if you ask me.
Great advice... I got my open water and fell in love with it, although never really had time to dive much when I was a young guy going through the pipeline. Met my wife who loves to dive, and had her own gear - all of a sudden I was ready to buy mine, but I wouldn't have bought it earlier. Some people love diving, some don't. Our theory is that there are two types of people that enjoy watersports - Ones that enjoy it above water (surfing, windsurfing, etc...) and those that enjoy it under water. My wife and I are in the second category, and haven't met many people that truly are in both.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Great advice... I got my open water and fell in love with it, although never really had time to dive much when I was a young guy going through the pipeline. Met my wife who loves to dive, and had her own gear - all of a sudden I was ready to buy mine, but I wouldn't have bought it earlier. Some people love diving, some don't. Our theory is that there are two types of people that enjoy watersports - Ones that enjoy it above water (surfing, windsurfing, etc...) and those that enjoy it under water. My wife and I are in the second category, and haven't met many people that truly are in both.

I have to completely destroy your theory and be that guy that loves both. Course there are few things I don't like to get out and do...I guess thats why I don't have enough time to sit inside and play WoW. The conflict for me was doing all my flight training out here in Hawaii. You have to be careful when you are combining a lot of flying and diving regularly.

Oh yeah wasn't this about windsurfing?

annaisdivine

(if you’re not into Chamillionaire, then just turn the volume down on this one)

(totally unrelated, but this looks sweet)