• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will the F35 have vertical takeoff for the navy?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
As opposed to V/STOL. I see them do VL's all the time but have yet to see a VTO. My understanding is they don't do that. F-35 guys please correct me if that's wrong.

lenninscjay

Red-headed stepchild (MH-53)
I think the F-35B's can perform VTO but it's probably more practical to STO for fuel conservation & payload reasons.

On a mobile now but I'll link a video later where Lockheed was doing the VTOL/STOVL tests.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I think the F-35B's can perform VTO but it's probably more practical to STO for fuel conservation & payload reasons.

On a mobile now but I'll link a video later where Lockheed was doing the VTOL/STOVL tests.

^^^This. VTO is possible, but the weight limits for vertical takeoff make it impractical for takeoff, but once the mission gas is used up, vertical landing is possible, in similar fashion to how the Harrier is operated. Hence, the current plan is for it to Short Take-Off Vertical Landing. Hence, the name STOVL.

To the OP, here is the basic plan:
USAF gets F35A - Conventional takeoff and landing on their cushy big runways
USMC gets F35B - STOVL, described above. Has a lift fan and rotating nozzle for low-speed flight to a hover. Intended to deploy to large "flattop" amphibious assault ships (LHDs). Yes, they have room for a short running takeoff.
Finally, Navy gets F35C - Carrier variant. Works basically like any other Navy jet for launch/recovery.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yeah I'm aware it's capable of it. I'm saying they just don't seem to do it. VTO never made tactical sense for the Harrier either, but we still did it in training rather than taxi for another STO then turn downwind for the next VL. Also the part about it taking too much gas is bullshit. It's strictly a weight issue.