• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will a waiver from N3M make a difference to NAMI?

jleo_96

Hello!

I recently submitted my package for OCS and the upcoming Aviation and SWO Boards in the next month or so. To get to this point I had to obtain a waiver for childhood asthma, which had never been an issue for me. I played sports, and ran regularly all through my adolescent years, all with no breathing problems. It seems to vary for some people, but the Navy did not make me take a methacholine challenge test, but I read that NAMI will.

My main question is what would happen should I fail the MCT that is (seemingly) required by NAMI? Would I likely have to redesignate, or would the Navy drop me altogether? I already have a waiver from N3M for asthma, but should I fail the MCT would that override the waiver? I would LOVE to be in aviation, but if that would (most likely) put me at risk of being dropped from the Navy for failing a test, I would rather just go to OCS for SWO. First and foremost, I want to be a Naval Officer.

exNavyOffRec

Hello!

I recently submitted my package for OCS and the upcoming Aviation and SWO Boards in the next month or so. To get to this point I had to obtain a waiver for childhood asthma, which had never been an issue for me. I played sports, and ran regularly all through my adolescent years, all with no breathing problems. It seems to vary for some people, but the Navy did not make me take a methacholine challenge test, but I read that NAMI will.

My main question is what would happen should I fail the MCT that is (seemingly) required by NAMI? Would I likely have to redesignate, or would the Navy drop me altogether? I already have a waiver from N3M for asthma, but should I fail the MCT would that override the waiver? I would LOVE to be in aviation, but if that would (most likely) put me at risk of being dropped from the Navy for failing a test, I would rather just go to OCS for SWO. First and foremost, I want to be a Naval Officer.

I have seen people waived by N3M for asthma, then get a no from NAMI, but at least try and see what happens.

jleo_96

I have seen people waived by N3M for asthma, then get a no from NAMI, but at least try and see what happens.

Would I still be able to redesignate at least? It's not so much being denied by NAMI that I'm worried about, but rather the navy coming back and saying "sorry, since NAMI said no, so are we". That's why I'm hesitant to even take that risk, since there doesn't seem like there would be any problems (at least with asthma) if I just went SWO.

exNavyOffRec

Would I still be able to redesignate at least? It's not so much being denied by NAMI that I'm worried about, but rather the navy coming back and saying "sorry, since NAMI said no, so are we". That's why I'm hesitant to even take that risk, since there doesn't seem like there would be any problems (at least with asthma) if I just went SWO.

If it is at OCS most get the chance to redesignate if qualified for service, SWO is a common one to redesignate to, just go for it, otherwise you will be wondering "what if"