• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wiley X Fingerless Gloves discount?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
$69.95 at Wings. $5.95 shipping. Cheapest I've found thus far, green is all he has in stock - and tan are coming in the next ~2 weeks. Our Flight E guys aren't really willing to order them... Won't have to take my gloves off to pull out the iPad/EFB and use it...

Wifey has (cold weather) gloves that have some type of material in the thumb and forefinger tip that allows you to use them with an iPad. I would imagine that as the iPad becomes more popular in the cockpit someone will do something similar with flight gloves.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool...if you're happy with losing your fingers in a fire/mishap in your aircraft".

Just last week on another thread, it was mentioned that with some of our JOs, flying sans flight gloves was more or less routine. Kinda taken aback, I asked if flying with gloves was no longer required. That question was not answered but kinda 'blown off'. One of the responses was something like...I've heard of 2 ejections by pilots without gloves, with no problems...duh (good thing they weren't on fire)!:eek:
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Flight gloves are required by 3710 for anything involved in carrier ops. They can be waived by the CO of fixed wing bubs not involved in carrier ops. What guys choose to do when no one's watching....

Warpig pilots take off and land with their gloves on; a few choose to wear them in flight. I don't. I keep them on the glare shield or in my vest front pocket when I'm in the seat.

phrogpilot73

Cool...if you're happy with losing your fingers in a fire/mishap in your aircraft.
Just last week on another thread, it was mentioned that with some of our JOs, flying sans flight gloves was more or less routine. Kinda taken aback, I asked if flying with gloves was no longer required. That question was not answered but kinda 'blown off'. One of the responses was something like...I've heard of 2 ejections by pilots without gloves, with no problems...duh (good thing they weren't on fire)!:eek:
Not to be flippant, but the gloves we are talking about have a NAVAIR flight clearance. Not an Interim Flight Clearance, but a TINS flight clearance.

I fly with gloves all the time, after talking to a buddy of mine that landed a CH-46E when it was on fire (after having been shot down over Fallujah, and he landed it with no AFCS, no electrical power, and his goggles were blooming out because of the fire engulfing his aircraft). He was flying without gloves that day and got 2nd/3rd degree burns on his hands that day...

Of course, I have another buddy that was involved in a mishap that killed the guys in back. He was wearing his NAVAIR approved flight gloves, and lost his ring finger/pinky finger on his right hand. Gloves really can't do much when it comes to an overhead panel landing on your hand in a mishap. FWIW - he actually got a waiver from NAMI and started flying the Phrog again, just recently retired after flying with HMX.

Gloves aren't bullet proof, and if NAVAIR is going to approve gloves with finger tips on the first two fingers and thumbs missing, I'm going to get them.

jtmedli

pilot
$69.95 at Wings. $5.95 shipping. Cheapest I've found thus far, green is all he has in stock - and tan are coming in the next ~2 weeks. Our Flight E guys aren't really willing to order them... Won't have to take my gloves off to pull out the iPad/EFB and use it...

If you call Wiley X, they'll sell them to you for more like 50$.

ALSO, the NEX on NASP had the wiley X gloves WITH fingers for like 20+$ or so when I was in API. If you want those, it's a great deal.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gloves aren't bullet proof, and if NAVAIR is going to approve gloves with finger tips on the first two fingers and thumbs missing, I'm going to get them.

My original question was not about NAVAIR approved gloves (fingerless or not), but about the danger of flying without ANY gloves. I was in a cockpit with a ruptured main fuel line fire burning directly beneath the cockpit. Four things I had to do before punching involved using my hands: pulling the emerg. generator & ord. jettison T-handles, ECS switch to ram air to purge cockpit smoke, and actually pulling the ejection handle, plus flying the A/C. I'm not sure I could have done any or all of these actions with badly burned hands. Nope, they won't stop bullets & weren't designed to.;)
BzB

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

Ouch. Sorry. Getting old/er sucks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thread resurrection...

If you call Wiley X, they'll sell them to you for more like 50$.

ALSO, the NEX on NASP had the wiley X gloves WITH fingers for like 20+$ or so when I was in API. If you want those, it's a great deal.

I just got off the phone with Wiley X after speaking with their "Military" division and was told I would have to order 4 pairs (can mix and match) in order to get the discount. I asked if this was new since I heard a bunch of guys who had bought them (albeit a year ago) got the discounted price. She said no, this was strict policy for some time. Kind of annoyed, as I'm sure the chances of ordering some through supply are nil.

I've flown with students who have them and bought them recently on their own dime for the rebated price, as well, so not sure what I'm missing. Anyone done this recently to debunk what I was told?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thread resurrection...
I just got off the phone with Wiley X after speaking with their "Military" division and was told I would have to order 4 pairs (can mix and match) in order to get the discount. I asked if this was new since I heard a bunch of guys who had bought them (albeit a year ago) got the discounted price. She said no, this was strict policy for some time. Kind of annoyed, as I'm sure the chances of ordering some through supply are nil.

I've flown with students who have them and bought them recently on their own dime for the rebated price, as well, so not sure what I'm missing. Anyone done this recently to debunk what I was told?

Maybe the reason they want you to buy 4 is so they'll last a whole year. After flying with the issue Wiley X gloves- they become trashed after about 3 months use- tops. I would have been pissed if they weren't issued to me. There are new ones floating around whiting that work a lot better, I forget what they're called though. Maybe someone who got them before sequestration hit can chime in.

jtmedli

pilot
Thread resurrection...

Hmm that's discouraging. I bought 2 pairs when I ordered mine back in primary. One pair finally developed holes 300hours of flight time later and the other is still holding on. It may be time to place another order. Amazon occasionally has blow-out deals on stuff like that. I bought a couple pairs of the camelbak flight gloves off of there for like 25$ a pair (normally 100$-ish).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe the reason they want you to buy 4 is so they'll last a whole year. After flying with the issue Wiley X gloves- they become trashed after about 3 months use- tops. I would have been pissed if they weren't issued to me. There are new ones floating around whiting that work a lot better, I forget what they're called though. Maybe someone who got them before sequestration hit can chime in.

Keep your eyes and ears open, if you don't mind. I'm in the market. With the addition of a trackball in the aircraft (and smaller keysets), I'm looking for less "conventional" means for gloves.

They still have to be better than the tan AF gloves I have that I got from another IP when I was at Whiting. If I ever crash, I'll have an endless supply of cordage because they constantly unravel everywhere.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zippy, how long have you had yours? I had the same issue with my first issued Wiley X pair, but when I got a new pair six months ago, they seemed to hold up much better. I'd heard that they had redesigned them slightly to improve the durability.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Zippy, how long have you had yours? I had the same issue with my first issued Wiley X pair, but when I got a new pair six months ago, they seemed to hold up much better. I'd heard that they had redesigned them slightly to improve the durability.

I got them almost 2 years ago or so I think. I don't exactly remember, one of my dogs ate one my my other sets and the ones i had for years fell apart. I think I got an early addition of them because they didn't last a huge amount of time before I and other guys started looking for replacements. We found out leaving them out in the sunlight during O/Is were a bad thing for their longevity.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Do they have any sort of warranty on their gloves? Or are they expected to fall to shit in less than six months?

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I teach a ground school glass at Whiting and just about every time as a class they discuss their glove order. Pretty sure that's how they work the whole more than 4 pairs per order.

I also have seen the other brand of gloves once. They did seem much sturdier but I don't remember the manufacturer either. Also, a while back our AMSO(Cookie) said he was working with Wiley X because the quality was so shitty on the gloves and they were going to make some changes. Maybe that's paying off. Will ask him if I see him around.