• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why we jump on mishap threads so quickly here on AW...

Zissou

Banned
That even poses some problems. What if Bob calls his wife and says he's fine. Bob's wife hangs out w/ Joe's wife and they've talked after seeing there was a mishap on TV. Joe's wife hasn't heard from Joe yet, but Bob's wife has heard from Bob. 4 hours later, Joe comes home to find his wife on the ceiling freaking out because he didn't call.

Brother, that is how 99% of these incidents happen in my experience. Some dude didnt want his wife to worry, she called her friend who hadnt heard from her man... God damn disaster.

Brief em all. No news until there is official news.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Vill,

I'm not a member of the aviation community and have no idea what their standing orders are. So I cant speak to their rules.

Specific to my world:

I know aviation , but what is your world...EOD, CEC, supply...?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Nice comments Zissou...pretty much sums it up.

Couldn't help but notice the location...sounds like SOCOM to me.

By the way...Zissou...as in
life-aquatic-with-steve-zissou-7.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
What are the rules, if you don't mind me asking? In a homeguard situation, can you call home and say, "if you are watching the news, it wasn't me" or is even that off limits?
Grey territory but I would surmise that a call home asking about what we were having for dinner without letting them know of any mishap would be best. The last mishap here in Meridian, my wife found out about it before I did.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What are the rules, if you don't mind me asking? In a homeguard situation, can you call home and say, "if you are watching the news, it wasn't me" or is even that off limits?

like others said, you shouldn't. it starts the deduction ball rolling and you don't want people to find out by a lack of a text message. plus, you don't want to get the rumor mill started before people know what actually happened.

even in a homeguard situation, the squadron would be a zoo, at best, just trying to determine the status of the crew.

granted, i heard in a recent class A that after the pilot ejected safely, his first call went to his wife, the second to the command.

BackOrdered

Contributor
By now most of you heard a midshipman died suddenly at the Naval Academy on Monday morning. See: https://www.usna.com/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?RSS=acad&pid=5136

The EarlyBird reported the following:
http://ebird.afis.mil/ebfiles/e20080507598983.html

This is never how a family should learn of something like this.

I get into arguments with my younger sister about this all the time. According to her, there is no harm as the one breaking the news has no idea whether or not the other party knows. My thing is who the hell are you to take it upon yourself to break news like that if you know it is within the realm of possibilities that the people most hurt by the tragedy doesn't know yet and perhaps you aren't the best person to tell them. Especially through a damned email.

*Takes a deep breath*

Seriously, people have the rest of forever to acknowledge people are dead and are never coming back, yet people want to break the news as quick and petty as possible. This really pisses me off.

The family IS notified ASAP....in person.

Yet so many are willing to deny people that much.