• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why "The Big Suck?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisAg05

Why exactly is TBS referred to as The Big Suck? I was looking at the weekly schedule and the stuff we learn/do seems really interesting. Is it just the environment you learn it in or what?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
The long days start to grow on you. On-deck-time averaged at about 0500-0530 and secure time averaged 1930-2000. What gets annoying is that the first class usually doesn't start until 0730 or 0800 and the last class ends around 1600 or 1700. There is a lot of dead time. It's hard to find time to PT, our Plt PT'd maybe once a week, other than the timed/graded events, Hence "The Body Softner".
You're definitely treated better than Candidates but sometimes you'll feel like one. Even the Enlisted personel get on to the Lt's, and rightfully so, because unexperienced Lt's have live rounds and that always makes for tension.
Sometimes it gets frustrating when another Lt is a billet holder and he/she is tooling everything up. It's hard to not jump in there and take over, but you know you have to do what he/she says and help them out as much as you can.

It wasn't too bad, I made some great friends, and definitely learned a lot. There were some fun times to, don't get me wrong........I'm having a hard time remembering what they were........

It was probably more frustrating for my wife, she never knew when or if I was coming home and she wanted to have supper ready for me but she and the kid had to eat at sometime.... That and our company was pretty bad about keeping the wives updated/informed compared to the other companies.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
E5B Hit the nail on the head. The long days really grow on you. As he said, your last event will often end at 1700, but you won't be secured until 2000! What will be the cause for the delay? The student company staff, the real company staff, the staff platoon commanders, who knows, but the "wait for word" is a long time TBS tradition that you too will experience.

Also, the staff will nit-pick you to death. If you are in the field with unpolished boots on day 4 of a FEX, you will get your ass chewed. If you are a billet holder, and one of your Marines doesn't have his boots polished on day 4 of a FEX, you will get your ass chewed. If you are a billet holder on a FEX, you spend all night preparing your order, you kick ass establishing a platoon defense, and then it is revealed that one of your Marines didn't drink water this morning, even when they told you they did, you will still get your ass chewed. That's what makes TBS the big suck.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Thousands Being Stupid (and a few more)

The Bummer Summer (if your class/Co. runs through the summer) :icon_rage

Time Between Saturdays (Take Saturday off. Get the hell away from Quantico and TBS with your family or friends. Because come Sunday, you're prepping for the next day and/or week). ;)

Taxes Being Squandered (Need I provide an explanation?) :eek:

Toddlers Being Saluted (Being boot leftenants, you will be the laughing stock of the enlisted staff. But not to worry, they won't laugh at you in public!) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.