• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why it's good to be in Naval Aviation

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I firmly believe the SHB is the highest form of artistic expression available to a Naval Aviator.
So if a properly energy-managed SHB to an OK pass at the Boat by a senior fleet pilot is a Rembrandt, what does that make the rectangle described by the average T-45 solo going “Woohoo! Fast Break Friday!!”

YOINK

“Oh shit, that’s 90 degrees of turn, and I’ve gotta truck out to the abeam still!”

levels wings

YOINK

(drops gear, drops flaps)

Picasso, or just a three-year-old finger-painting?

(Yes, this is my thirtysomething self laughing at my twentysomething SNA self and a couple classmates)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I firmly believe the SHB is the highest form of artistic expression available to a Naval Aviator.
Just FYI, it's nearly impossible to engage PLM coming out if the shit hot. Still gotta get her on speed and aboard all by yourself. That will change a little with how the upgrade is mech'd, but for now that's generally the case

Python

pilot
Contributor
Just FYI, it's nearly impossible to engage PLM coming out if the shit hot. Still gotta get her on speed and aboard all by yourself. That will change a little with how the upgrade is mech'd, but for now that's generally the case

What will the new mech be?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Instead of having to engage FPAH via the UFCD you're just automatically in RATE when the gear comes down. Right now, selecting RATE before you're on-speed can get weird. Typically if you're not on speed and in the approach turn in RATE at high gross weights you can get yourself in a spot where the jet will just keep accelerating to like 175 and never get on-speed. That should be fixed with the update, so I've heard.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Instead of having to engage FPAH via the UFCD you're just automatically in RATE when the gear comes down. Right now, selecting RATE before you're on-speed can get weird. Typically if you're not on speed and in the approach turn in RATE at high gross weights you can get yourself in a spot where the jet will just keep accelerating to like 175 and never get on-speed. That should be fixed with the update, so I've heard.

Ah yes I’ve heard about the acceleration thing. I always thought it was cumbersome to have to hit FPAH to get into rate. Glad they’re updating it the way they are. The F-35 simply has a button on the throttle to engage APC (same thing as rate) so that’s pretty simple.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Once your in RATE, one depression of the NWS button selects PATH. A second depression puts you back in RATE.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Yeah, we had some issues with flap blow up or whatever it was (as you describe) early on. I don't want to throw out numbers that are a vague memory now, but we were told there was an alpha below which you would get yourself in that scenario if you clicked in. We also did ELP all of workups and this last cruise, so the SH was pretty straight forward with PLM (lots of straight in).

Deere1450

pilot
I’ve heard from an old paddles that the only reason we have a descending approach turn is because of the F7U Cutlass. It couldn’t fly the normal 500’ pattern and turn level without going into afterburner. Don’t know how true that is, but the ancient paddles couldn’t believe we still flew a descending app turn.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I thought it just strung the pattern out behind the boat and made it hard to keep the pattern tight. Guys could end up three to four miles behind the boat and be hard to see. I only did C2X with @MIDNJAC, but overall I didn't like it.

I subsequently went to Japan and back to the standard pattern and thought the Case I was much easier to manage that way. Day straight ins for all my friends all the time certainly made it easy to get aboard, but I didn't really buy the excuse that it increased boarding rate. I think PLM increases boarding rate enough in itself.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I keep hearing people talk about it making a comeback. Last I heard it used for real was in the late 2000s timeframe. What did you think? Goods? Others?

Like wlawr said, pattern getting strung out was probably the biggest other, and of course burned slightly more gas per pass. Goods.....getting to a good start was very easy, and I also thought it was easier to nail your interval. Boarding rate went up, but I'd imagine PLM was the biggest factor there, as wlawr also mentioned.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those of us schmucks not familiar . . . ELI5 what ELP is?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those of us schmucks not familiar . . . ELI5 what ELP is?
Extended Landing Pattern. Instead of starting your approach turn at the round down, you extend downwind some distance and do a level approach turn. Never done it, so I can’t talk to the numbers, but that’s the general concept.