• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why is this so hard?

usmcjhwk

I am going to try and not rant, but I'm in a very frustrating situation...

I am a prior service Marine trying to get to Navy OCS. I was in the Reserves for 6 years, but deployed twice to Iraq.

I was Pro-Rec'd on this year's April boards for NFO and SWO.

Last week I hear that I will not be receiving my Final Select letter for NFO, which is my first choice, because I am turning 28 at the end of July.

My Frustration: I completed my application for Commission in the middle of January and did make it to the boards until April. My OR has known my age since day 1.

How do I get past the OR screening, the Boards, and get Professionally Recommended, and then a month later be told I am too old?

So, I started doing some research, I find OPNAV 1420.1A, from 2003, stating that the Age limit for NFO is 30, waiverable to 32 with prior service. The Age limit, according to this OPNAV, for SNA is 27 and waiverable to 29.

I want to fight tooth and nail for the NFO sport that I was pro-rec'd for, am I looking at the wrong OPNAV, am I just the victim of my OR's SWO quota?

Any input would be great, I am scheduled for OCS on Aug. 9th.

Thanks in Advance...

Fastmover007

pilot
USMCJHWK, that sounds accurate. I just graduated TBS, and there were pilots as old as 28 going through the program. I too am close to the age to fly (26), so I was on top of the age reqs. I read,"SNAs must accept their commission before the age of 27 1/2," and NFOs were 30, i believe.
28 seems acceptable, unless new stanards came out since FY09 (Oct.).
I will check out some sites to see what I find.

usmcjhwk

USMCJHWK, that sounds accurate. I just graduated TBS, and there were pilots as old as 28 going through the program. I too am close to the age to fly (26), so I was on top of the age reqs. I read,"SNAs must accept their commission before the age of 27 1/2," and NFOs were 30, i believe.
28 seems acceptable, unless new stanards came out since FY09 (Oct.).
I will check out some sites to see what I find.

I would really appreciate your help, I certainly don't want to 2nd guess a senior enlisted, but I don't want to be kept from my dream if I can do anything about it.

Thank you so much for your help Fastmover

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I would really appreciate your help, I certainly don't want to 2nd guess a senior enlisted, but I don't want to be kept from my dream if I can do anything about it.

Thank you so much for your help Fastmover

You can second guess whoever it is between you and what you want to do...as long as it is done tactfully. I am pretty sure the age is 30 as well; something doesn't smell right here...I would find the proper documentation and bring it in to back you up, sans any SWO accusations...

And one other thing, why the fuck is your OR enlisted?

usmcjhwk

You can second guess whoever it is between you and what you want to do...as long as it is done tactfully. I am pretty sure the age is 30 as well; something doesn't smell right here...I would find the proper documentation and bring it in to back you up, sans any SWO accusations...

He is a Senior Chief. I wish I had a good answer for you, but I guess that's the best we can get in Kansas.

I agree that something is fishy. I can't believe that I went through five months of the process, and didn't hear anything until I started to get concerned because my Final Select letter was taking so long.

You would think an age "issue" would have been caught within about 5 minutes.

And, I can't believe that the Board at CNRC would Pro-Rec me knowing my age. Something is definitely fishy, but I can't seem to get anywhere when I speak to him.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

When I began the application process I was assigned a Chief for an OR. He was a dirtbag that was about to transfer so he didn't give a shit about anything. He was constantly losing my paperwork and not returning my phone calls. After getting the run around for about a month and a half, I talked to a LT. who was the head OR at the NRD and he started working on my package. Once he took over my package moved right along.

usmcjhwk

When I began the application process I was assigned a Chief for an OR. He was a dirtbag that was about to transfer so he didn't give a shit about anything. He was constantly losing my paperwork and not returning my phone calls. After getting the run around for about a month and a half, I talked to a LT. who was the head OR at the NRD and he started working on my package. Once he took over my package moved right along.

Well, it sounds like I am going to be going climbing, up the chain of command that is!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am going to try and not rant, but I'm in a very frustrating situation...

I am a prior service Marine trying to get to Navy OCS. I was in the Reserves for 6 years, but deployed twice to Iraq.

I was Pro-Rec'd on this year's April boards for NFO and SWO.

Last week I hear that I will not be receiving my Final Select letter for NFO, which is my first choice, because I am turning 28 at the end of July.

My Frustration: I completed my application for Commission in the middle of January and did make it to the boards until April. My OR has known my age since day 1.

How do I get past the OR screening, the Boards, and get Professionally Recommended, and then a month later be told I am too old?

So, I started doing some research, I find OPNAV 1420.1A, from 2003, stating that the Age limit for NFO is 30, waiverable to 32 with prior service. The Age limit, according to this OPNAV, for SNA is 27 and waiverable to 29.

I want to fight tooth and nail for the NFO sport that I was pro-rec'd for, am I looking at the wrong OPNAV, am I just the victim of my OR's SWO quota?

Any input would be great, I am scheduled for OCS on Aug. 9th.

Thanks in Advance...

I would tell him what you found and then ask him why it doesn't apply to your situation. He simply might not realize the regs, so don't let someone's incompetence give your career direction. Maybe there is some reason you don't qualify. Ask him to explain it to you.

If you need it, your district is St. Louis. They handle Kansas.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/stlouis/

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor

Chap 8 (STA-21) had some differing age limits from what the programs website stated (the opnav was less conservative) and when questioned and personal experience they are currently going with the more conservative numbers which also appear in a MILPERS (don't recall the number but I'm sure Google could find it eventually).

Basically my impression is that its easier to rev the MILPERS and a website than the OPNAV instruction. So even if it says one thing there they might be operating under something else which supercedes it. But like others have said look it up and find out what the real answer is. Besides, nobody cares as much about your application as you do.