• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why is the Marine Corps short on Pilots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_bossart

Why is the Marine Corps short of pilots. Is it because more got out after the war than they expected, or was there an error in not accepting enough air contracts? I wonder if there will still be a shortage of pilots for us guys/gals that are only getting ready to go to TBS in November or if by the time we get to P'Cola there will be a glut of pilots? Correct me if I'm wrong but all of the PLC Lt's with air contracts got pushed back to November for TBS (like me), so will this cause an abnormally high amount of air contracts to be at P'Cola next summer?

d_bossart

ok, so they just didnt accept enough air contracts 3-4 years ago. Is this a trend that will continue for another year or so, or will the Navy switch-over fix the problem permanently? Another words, since we are still basically at war, will the shortage continue or will trasfering Navy pilots over fix it? I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm going to TBS in Nov and just trying to judge what the situation will be next summer at P'Cola (if predicting the situation is even possible). Thanks PatMac

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
d_bossart said:
fix the problem permanently...
just trying to judge what the situation will be...

hahahahahaha. *dead*

edit: 1) no, 2) don't even try to guess what the deal is for tomorrow.

GTIGirlVR6

Has anyone heard how and who they are training for the new 22's coming out? Does that have anything to do with the huge increase in pilots? Im sure by the time I get there (hoping PLC 07) there will just be too many pilots and no flying for me :(

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
GTI, as far as the 22 training goes the senior marines in the VT's in Whiting say it will be a while before they start a winging pipeline in that area. The craft still has a bunch of work to go through and they still have to train all the senior guys who are transferring to that now budding community. If you are hoping for PLC 07 then it will be a while before you get up here and maybe things will change by then, when it is said it will be a combo of helo and maritime schools. And as far as the increase or decrease or whatever of pilots, it will iron itself out as the big wig guessers do their yearly thing and there will be plenty of flying for all in the future. Of course, this is only what I am told...

Physicx

Banned
Well the Marine I talked to said that the Marines is the worse place to fly.He said go Navy,AF,or CG.He said the flying is great but the people mangaging your career are all morons.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
well that could be one disgruntled pilot's experience. right now, from a student's point of view. marine aviation is the place to be. all the pipelines need guys so you are open to choose jets, c130s or helos. plus they are pushing marines through fast. navy guys are all backed up and waiting quite a bit plus if you want certain communities such as jets you better be a god in the t-34.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
But then again you can have crappy monitors and get stuck with the crappy duties....that i have no experience with...its all gaming the game i guess

my MOI (46 pilot) said the reason for all the pilot slots is that the Marine Corps is expanding, unlike the Navy which is cutting people left and right (heard 80 SNA/SNFO slots closed). plus, the deployment cycle is brutal, running pilots on for 6, off for 6, so that some pilots have already gotten in 5 or 6 tours before they go shore duty. it's wearing them out and i assume a bunch are sick of it and get out where their time's up.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
how long could this expansion be expected to last for (at least in relation to the navy being at the opposite of this slinky effect)?

Crowbar

None
Actually, according to the Marine Corps Pilot Training Requirements as delineated in the 10 yr aviation plan, the numbers stay pretty steady. The biggest jump is a whopping increase of 10 (from this year's numbers) to 321 total pilots in FY08. It looks like this:
FY/# Pilots
04/311
05/313
06/316
07/319
08/321
09/319
10/314

FY/# NFO
04/36
05/46
06/40
07/36
08/36
09/36
10/36

So I'm guessing expansion ain't the reason. Nor is shore duty, seeing as I've never heard a Marine talk about "shore duty" except while mocking SWO's.
Granted, I don't work in manpower, so I don't know how much higher these numbers are than those in the past. Maybe some old timers who have more experience in the manpower field could help me out here, but it may just seem like lots of people are getting guarantees when in fact it's about at a normal rate.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Primary in Corpus will start Marine selections for the V-22 on December 16th. Nice Christmas present for some, bad Hanuka gift for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.