• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

why I'm seeking a commission in the US Navy essay

Ledesmachris

Hello, My name is Chris, I'm 39 yrs old. I'm prior enlisted (Active Duty) Air Force and now working full time with the reserves as an Avionics Technician. I am currently applying for a Healthcare Adminsitrator program and I was wondering if anyone could take a look at my officer application essay.
I am looking for feedback on it... and also any information on ODS.

Thanks

"Throughout my life I have always dreamed about becoming a commissioned officer. My time has finally come to make this dream a reality. With my education, nine years of military experience, and strong personal convictions, I know the time is finally right to serve my country at a higher level. I could write volumes on why I want to become a commissioned officer, but instead I’ll let a distinguished record of service to my country stand as proof of my patriotism and pride to this great nation.

At age 29, I had an unstable job and very limited education to carry me forward. With a burning desire to improve my life, I knew that I had to make a change. Then, older than most individuals I began my enlisted military career. As an avionics technician, I strove to manage my professional and personal life, developing excellent time management, team building, and interpersonal skills. Making this one of the most growing and successful experiences of my life.

Parallel to my military carrier, I have also accomplished many professional and personal goals. Obtaining a Master’s degree in Healthcare Administration is an achievement that provided me with the foundation needed to serve my country at a higher level. Now, with my education, a lifetime worth of experiences, and an outstanding set of skills, I found myself in a position where I can finally fulfill my dream and become a commissioned officer.

After carefully evaluating my options, I found in the Navy, an organization where I can utilize all my acquired abilities to their full potential and give back to the country that has given me so many opportunities. I know that in the Navy, I’ll be in company of highly motivated, skilled individuals; a team that I feel I have much to contribute to. As a commissioned officer, I’ll have the opportunity to cultivate unparalleled management and professional experiences that will prove more than useful as I expand my current set of skills.

In addition to the pride, respect, and reverence that come with being a naval officer, the Navy is clearly a symbol of patriotism and pride. Undoubtedly an organization I want to be a part of. I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve and lead as a naval officer, where I’ll be appointed with advanced responsibilities and where I can help accomplish any mission with honor, courage, and commitment."

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I like it. You should of probably posted this in the motivational statement thread.. but wth.. I'll still comment anyway. I honestly liked it all except the closing paragraph. "the Navy is clearly a symbol of patriotism and pride." I'd get rid of that. I'm sure the officers in the Navy know what the Navy stands for :) And I think you should capitalize Naval Officer.

Other than that from a fellow Air Force member, looks good. And good luck.. I'm actually reapplying for a second time this August for pilot/NFO.. I had my essay torn about endlessly by people, and rebuilt it and tweaked it many many times.. If you would like to see mine, private message me.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I'm a civilain, so I'm not familiar with Navy writing conventions, but I've inserted comments on basics.

Hello, My name is Chris, I'm 39 yrs old. I'm prior enlisted (Active Duty) Air Force and now working full time with the reserves as an Avionics Technician. I am currently applying for a Healthcare Adminsitrator program and I was wondering if anyone could take a look at my officer application essay.
I am looking for feedback on it... and also any information on ODS.

Thanks

"Throughout my life I have always dreamed about becoming a commissioned officer. My time has finally come to make this dream a reality. With my education, nine years of military experience, and strong personal convictions, I know the time is finally right to serve my country at a higher level. I could write volumes on why I want to become a commissioned officer, but instead I’ll ***For a professional piece, I'd avoid contractions and spell out "I will".****let a distinguished record of service to my country stand as proof of my patriotism and pride to this great nation.

At age 29, I had an unstable job and very limited education to carry me forward. With a burning desire to improve my life, I knew that I had to make a change. Then, I began my enlisted military career** at an age older than most individuals {the way you had this written it was very awkward. It still isn't great, but at least it is more grammatically sound}**. As an avionics technician, I strove to manage my professional and personal life, developing excellent time management, team building, and interpersonal skills. Making this one of the most growing and successful experiences of my life.**<---That is not a complete sentence.**

Parallel to my military carrier, I have also accomplished many professional and personal goals. Obtaining a Master’s degree in Healthcare Administration is an achievement that provided me with the foundation needed to serve my country at a higher level. Now, with my education, a lifetime worth of experiences, and an outstanding set of skills, I **find<--this is the proper tense to use because you referred to "now" so you need to use present tense.** myself in a position where I can finally fulfill my dream and become a commissioned officer.

After carefully evaluating my options, I found in the Navy**delete comma** an organization where I can utilize all my acquired abilities to their full potential and give back to the country that has given me so many opportunities. I know that in the Navy, I’ll be in company of highly motivated, skilled individuals**comma or --, not semicolon** a team that I feel I have much to contribute to. As a commissioned officer, I’ll have the opportunity to cultivate unparalleled management and professional experiences that will prove more than useful **I don't like "more than useful". If it is more than useful, then say what it actually is, or jsut use an adjective to show you mean "really useful", like "extremely"**, as I expand my current set of skills.

In addition to the pride, respect, and reverence that come with being a naval officer, **to me, the** Navy is clearly a symbol of patriotism and pride. Undoubtedly an organization I want to be a part of. **<--Incomplete sentence. Perhaps, "...and pride, making it an organization I want to be a part of."** I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve and lead as a naval officer, where I’ll be appointed **"Appointed with" seems awkward. "given, assigned" maybe?**, with advanced responsibilities and where I can help accomplish any mission with honor, courage, and commitment."

WhitingTJ

I'd be careful with ending sentences with prepositions and vigilant regarding incomplete sentences/fragments.

Otherwise, nice piece, and best of luck!

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
That's kind of funny, because when I got out of the Army the career services people would always give advice that was the exact opposite of that (they even had an entire sheet with comparisons). Management = Leadership, NCO/Officer = Supervisor, and so on.

But I guess you're essentially putting together a "resume" for why the Navy should hire you. So when you're getting out you want to demilitarize everything, but getting it you want to try to militarize it.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
In some of the professional development classes we took in NROTC we discussed the differences between leadership and management, so in theory the board should identify that. But management != leadership, and leadership is what the board wants.

Ledesmachris

Many Thanks

Thanks again for all the feedbacks and help!
I will definitely implement your ideas into my essay.
All the grammar corrections and the word choices will improve my message!
It really helps making it more appalling as well as stronger.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It really helps making it more appalling as well as stronger.

That sentence is definitely not appealing. Spelling errors like that in your package can mean the difference between select/non-select, just sayin'. PROOFREAD!
BzB