• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why I'm not Air Force...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Was that supposed to be funny ? Maybe it tells us how little fun they really have over there? I guess they were A-10 drivers. The only line that almost reached comedy was when the guy ripped a 2-sec. burst of 30MM cannon fire and then said he really hated his job (meaning, of course, that he really loves blowing things up).

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a whole different world over there. Always has been, probably always will be.

jtmedli

pilot
Was that supposed to be funny ? Maybe it tells us how little fun they really have over there? I guess they were A-10 drivers. The only line that almost reached comedy was when the guy ripped a 2-sec. burst of 30MM cannon fire and then said he really hated his job (meaning, of course, that he really loves blowing things up).

That got me too. The rest of it just made me glad I got out of AFROTC when I did.

blackbart22

pilot
In the Air Farce they tell you what you can do and everything else is forbidden. In the Navy they tell you what you can't do and anything else is allowed (at least once). Example: The admiral looks out his window one morning and sees two AD-5W Guppys line up on the mat and make a section takeoff. He says section takeoff are dangerous and Guppys have no reason to make them. He sends a memo to VAW-11 outlawing Guppy section takeoffs. A few days later he sees three Guppys line up on the mat and take off together. He blows a gasket and yells at his aid to get those guys. The aid tactfully reminds the admiral that three aircraft are a division, not a section. He sends out a memo forbidding multi-aircraft takeoffs by Guppys. Nothing happened to the division takeoff guys. Matter of fact, they were heros to us ensigns. Nowadays - probably drawn and quartered.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
In the Air Farce they tell you what you can do and everything else is forbidden. In the Navy they tell you what you can't do and anything else is allowed (at least once).

Bunch of us OC's at Newport visited NAS Quonset Point in the Fall of '65 (right after the big East Coast blackout) - home of the mighty USS Lake Champlain, the last straight-deck carrier in the Navy. We also visited VAW-11 and a VSF A-4 squadron. Probably not presumptious to say that tactical EW in the Navy was in its infancy at the time (viz., VQ was decades ahead of VAW ops at the time). A mere 47 years ago.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I thought it was pretty funny. They talk about most of the same stuff as us. "I love DTS." "Oh, good! The threat of the day." (Major says)"Nice job LPA!"

This could have been made by any squadron out there and it would have been almost exactly the same.