• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why I lat xfered to aviation...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Road- Again I am not doubting that you are repeating exactly what your CO said to you. I just find it hard to believe in the parochial environment of our Navy that is how it really went down.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
HH-60H said:
Road- Again I am not doubting that you are repeating exactly what your CO said to you. I just find it hard to believe in the parochial environment of our Navy that is how it really went down.

I'd like to have been a fly on THAT wall! :)

Serioulsy though, as much as it sux being a shoe, we need sharp people fighting their ships. If "they" make it so miserable that no one wants to stick around andmake it a career, who's left?

snizo

Supply Officer
Road Program said:
Dunno. Interesting sidebar, though...the CO of the TR came to talk to us today and said the higher-ups are telling the COs (SWOs, Subs, etc) that they need to be more like aviators.

Dear God...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
I believe it. I my director (read Dept Head) is a SWO O-6 and my overall boss is a SWO 2-star. Good guys but leadership style is definitely hands off. Never seen the 2-star up in our spaces. I compare that to another command we were working with where the 3-star (aviator) would roam the halls and talk to people. Totally different atmosphere.
Ahhhh, you're killing me. Where I come from, hands off is a GOOD thing. I don't equate this to not being concerned with your subordinates safety, welfare, or professional and personal development, however. To me, it is a freedom to do your job without someone constantly looking over your shoulder and continuously asking for an update on this or that.

SteveG75 said:
In a year-plus at the command, I have not recieved any career guidance/leadership. The command just started looking for career inputs/desires from people. Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that not one officer eligible for the last O-5 board from the command was selected.
Honestly, what kind of career guidance are looking to get from a SWO that you don't already know yourself? Your guys' (aviators') career paths are significantly differerent than ours. If the situation was reversed, I know I wouldn't want to be getting career advice from an O-6 aviator. No thank you. I have O-5 and O-6 SWO's that I communicate with for that kind of advice. Not too sure how many O-4 post XO SWO's you have there, but if they haven't done an XO tour yet, it is very very unlikely they'll make O-5...and if they are post XO, anything they've done at your command is moot anyway with regard to making the next paygrade.