• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why I lat xfered to aviation...

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
So I was surfing over at sailorbob.com and saw someone's signature and it reminded of one of the reasons why I left that community. And what was the signature?

"Your reward is the absence of punishment."

Yep, loved that attitude.

Road Program

None
Dunno. Interesting sidebar, though...the CO of the TR came to talk to us today and said the higher-ups are telling the COs (SWOs, Subs, etc) that they need to be more like aviators.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Wow, that sounds believable. The higher ups who (i.e. SWO and SUB admirals) are telling people to be more like aviators.

Road - I don't doubt that is what he said to you, I just find it hard to believe that is what is being said to him (an aviator), unless it is from Aviator admirals.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
Dunno. Interesting sidebar, though...the CO of the TR came to talk to us today and said the higher-ups are telling the COs (SWOs, Subs, etc) that they need to be more like aviators.
I knew if I emailed the good admiral enough times, something would start happening.

Road Program

None
HH...he said he heard that at PCO school up in Newport. It was addressed to a collective audience and the speaker was a SWO. He (instructor at PCO) said the other communities are about 10 years behind the aviators when it comes to leadership.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Road Program said:
HH...he said he heard that at PCO school up in Newport. It was addressed to a collective audience and the speaker was a SWO. He (instructor at PCO) said the other communities are about 10 years behind the aviators when it comes to leadership.
What were some specifics?

Road Program

None
First the Adm asked the PCOs if they knew when the sailors on their ships were transferring and what their status was. All the aviator COs raised their hands. Adm said, "That's the problem. As far as leadership and being involved in your sailor's lives, the rest of the Navy is about 10 years behind the aviators."

Granted that's not a verbatum quote, but the details are correct. Basically this "lack of leadership" in some communities is making itself known in the flag ranks and they want to see less management of people and more leading of them.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Road Program said:
First the Adm asked the PCOs if they knew when the sailors on their ships were transferring and what their status was. All the aviator COs raised their hands. Adm said, "That's the problem. As far as leadership and being involved in your sailor's lives, the rest of the Navy is about 10 years behind the aviators."

Granted that's not a verbatum quote, but the details are correct. Basically this "lack of leadership" in some communities is making itself known in the flag ranks and they want to see less management of people and more leading of them.
I believe it. I my director (read Dept Head) is a SWO O-6 and my overall boss is a SWO 2-star. Good guys but leadership style is definitely hands off. Never seen the 2-star up in our spaces. I compare that to another command we were working with where the 3-star (aviator) would roam the halls and talk to people. Totally different atmosphere.

In a year-plus at the command, I have not recieved any career guidance/leadership. The command just started looking for career inputs/desires from people. Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that not one officer eligible for the last O-5 board from the command was selected.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
IT all breaks down to this "intrusive Leadership" that we have been hearing so much of lately. Heck I have even stated hearing it from my department head now. Its all about getting an idea of were you sailors lives are at and showing them that they are more then just asset to the navy. But to qualify my previous statement yes I think there is defiantly a portion of the SWO community that believes in that style of leadership. That is you kick people’s rear ends enough they will do what you want them to. However I also think that the community is changing and that idea is slowly going by the wayside. Is it becoming almost aviator like? Well I wouldn't go that far I don’t see the higher up instituting crew rest for SWO's any time soon. But that attitude is changing however slowly.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
It was addressed to a collective audience and the speaker was a SWO. He (instructor at PCO) said the other communities are about 10 years behind the aviators when it comes to leadership.

First the Adm asked the PCOs if they knew when the sailors on their ships were transferring and what their status was.
We don't have any Admirals that are instructors at the PCO course, or on the SWOS staff at all for that matter. When an Admiral comes to SWOS, it tends to be a big deal.

Road Program said:
...if they knew when the sailors on their ships were transferring and what their status was. All the aviator COs raised their hands. Adm said, "That's the problem. As far as leadership and being involved in your sailor's lives, the rest of the Navy is about 10 years behind the aviators."
I have absolutely no idea what this means. It's a problem that a bunch of PCO's (Prospective Commanding Officers) don't know when the sailors, on the ship they've yet to check aboard, are transferring? As a prospective DH, I hope my CO is worrying about bigger things than that.

Road Program said:
Basically this "lack of leadership" in some communities is making itself known in the flag ranks and they want to see less management of people and more leading of them.
It's the Flags that came up with "Intrusive Leadeship" which is just another tool (or name) for micromanagement. Road, you just came from the fleet not too long ago so you should be very familiar with this problem.