• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why Helo Dunker training is good....

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
1. Why didn't they shut the engines down?

2. One of the instructors when my API class did the dunker/life raft stuff has swam out of 3 phrogs.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Scary. How disoriented are you when the helo dunker flips over? Any tips on surviving Mr. Dunker?

KBayDog

Fezz CB said:
Any tips on surviving Mr. Dunker?

Yeah.

Listen to the instructors.

It's really no big deal if you use common sense: Always know where you are in relation to your exit; keep your hands on a reference point at all times; and don't panic.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Sure looks like they tried to lift off again, but just couldn't quite make it. It looks like it had some kind of floatation deployed though... might have been better to just shut 'er down and egress right then and there.

@ Fezz dunker: Just don't release your seatbelt too soon or you'll wish you hadn't.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Floated for a long time. For you helo guys, do helos sink pretty quick? i've always been told they do.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
Floated for a long time. For you helo guys, do helos sink pretty quick? i've always been told they do.

It depends on the kind of helo. An H-3, with its boat hull, won't sink assuming it remains upright. An H-60 (without flotation) not so much. Helos do like to flip over, just like the helo dunker, because of the top heavy nature of a helicopter. I have heard that 60's will float upside down for a short while if there is air in the fuel tanks, but I don't know how true that is.

macattack

HH-60H said:
It depends on the kind of helo. An H-3, with its boat hull, won't sink assuming it remains upright. An H-60 (without flotation) not so much. Helos do like to flip over, just like the helo dunker, because of the top heavy nature of a helicopter. I have heard that 60's will float upside down for a short while if there is air in the fuel tanks, but I don't know how true that is.

Well generally one shouldn't have to stick around to find out. :icon_wink

I'm no helo expert (obviously), but is it possible that this was just a training maneuver gone bad? Such as the waves provided to be too choppy for him to judge the angle of attack upon lifting off...please someone with more knowledge step in so I don't make myself look more stupid. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
macattack said:
Well generally one shouldn't have to stick around to find out. :icon_wink

I'm no helo expert (obviously), but is it possible that this was just a training maneuver gone bad? Such as the waves provided to be too choppy for him to judge the angle of attack upon lifting off...please someone with more knowledge step in so I don't make myself look more stupid. :D

AOA? WTF are you talking about?

Brett

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

You studs and nuggets in the HT's/FRS take note - Looks like the aircraft (Mi-14 by the way) went single engine and was unable to maintain single engine (OEI) level flight - you could see cleearly the pilot had deployed the flotation gear (although the Mi-14 has a waterborne hull like the H-3).

It then looks like the pilot attempted a water take off - something nearly impossible. We used to try it in the H-46 simulator all the time - usually involves setting the one good engine to somewhere above "military" rated power - or "topping" and using every available piece of horsepower to get the aircraft above translational lift and flying out of the water.

Clearly this pilots training and technique were lacking - way too much forward cyclic - looks like from the rotors coning he was brute forcing it too. Again, bad technique and training.

I did actually do a single engine takeoff from a lake while in the Rag at North Island - it was part of the syllabus back then and even on calm conditions it was a b!tch. Overcoming the friction of the water takes an enormous amount of energy - and you are already overtemping or over torqueing the hell out of your good engine. But that's why the OEM build in conservative safety margins on those normal operating limits!

Pags

N/A
pilot
yeah, looks like he started drooping turns and had to ditch it. Why in god's name he tried to fly it out I have no clue. kinda reminds me of my SAR sim.