• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why does the U.S. use Russian helos??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

Hey, just wondering, but I read that the UH-60 Blackhawk and the MH-60S Knighthawk, which is to replace the Marine Corps Sea Knight helicopters, are made by Sikorsky. Isn't Sikorsky a Russian corporation?

I am just wondering, because I mean why would the U.S. buy military equipment like helicopters from a Russian company? Isn't all that stuff supposed to be homemade?

Or is it that only transport helicopters are outsourced, but things like attack helicopters are homebuilt?

No. Sikorsky is a proud Russian immigrant who started designing helicopters for us over here. Meaning it's homemade.

And the H-60 has replaced USN H-46s, not USMC.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think you should clarify--they put the helos INSIDE the AN-124 transport airplane to take them long distances. Use of transports under contract isn't uncommon, especially for passengers, but also for large cargo. If it's a non-tactical mission, why use expensive and overused military airlift? Believe me, the USAF airlift guys are the hardest working bubbas in aviation right now as it is. If you want to argue that we need to buy more transports, fine, but don't dime on the USAF on this one.

PS Troop-carrying helicopters are called "assault support" aircraft, not "transport."

Acoustix99

pilot
I sometimes feel that google could easily eliminate most stupid questions posed in the world today, if only people would figure out how to use it. The fact that some can't is frightening in and of itself.

Clux4

Banned
Are you saying the google is the most valuable thing on the net? Does google have the answer to this question? :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clux4 said:
Are you saying the google is the most valuable thing on the net? Does google have the answer to this question? :D

Oooooh nice one!

Status
Not open for further replies.