• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why do you want to be a USN Officer? (long winded ramble)

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Are you looking for free answers to your motivational statement? You could have just asked for them...

I don't like camping, so that rules out the Marines and the Army. My brother joined the AF to "see the world" and has spent the last 3 years in Minot,ND so that leaves the Navy. . . and I like water so it was a win-win situation.

Oh yeah and the main reason is because Navy Aviators are hot, what better place to pick one up than in the Navy?

I've already gotten my select letter and have just recently sworn into BDCP. I was just asking a half-serious question.

Jackass said:
Uh wrong. I for one am broke ass poor. And as a matter of fact, a majority of ROTC kids I know on scholarship are there for the money.

Money might be tight for you, but on the whole, I think it's a safe bet to say that almost nobody going to college is in poverty or they probably wouldn't be there in the first place. There is a big difference between lower middle-class and working class.

Similarly, it also wasn't my intention to presume that everyone in college is rich and exudes money. Instead, I really just meant to say that I doubt anybody was in college by way of food-stamps and seeking a commission because they had no other alternatives.

How about you telling us why you're asking the question if you're SWO/IP?

What's that supposed to mean? I'm not entirely sure I follow. If you're somehow making the assumption that just by my being on AW I was interested in SNA/NFO but somehow ended up with SWO/IP then you're horribly mistaken. That, or I completely misunderstood you. If that is the case then, well, sorry.

I didn't really think this thread was going to get any sort of negative reaction - it's not like I was talking politics. I was just curious to see why the various members of the boards wanted a commission in the Navy. Sorry if I put a mental strain on anyone.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've already gotten my select letter and have just recently sworn into BDCP. I was just asking a half-serious question - are you really that perplexed by it?

By what???.....Hey look a shiny object.... :D

SDMike619

I feel that supply school in Athens will provide me with a lot of knowledge and skills that will help me later on in my "civilian" career. Traveling the world is also a cliche reason, but I have not been further than Tijuana. My dad was in the military for 30+ years and has been a huge influence in my life. He thought supply school would be a good thing for me with my finance/accounting background. It sounds a lot better than doing auditing work in a cubicle.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I feel that supply school in Athens will provide me with a lot of knowledge and skills that will help me later on in my "civilian" career. Traveling the world is also a cliche reason, but I have not been further than Tijuana. My dad was in the military for 30+ years and has been a huge influence in my life. He thought supply school would be a good thing for me with my finance/accounting background. It sounds a lot better than doing auditing work in a cubicle.

This is the kind of answer I was looking for, heyjoe.

Thanks for this man - that's good stuff. I especially agree with the bit about it sounding a lot better than doing auditing work in a cubicle (the 9-5 suit-and-tie monotony has never appealed to me).

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Wait until you stand the mid-watch.....that will be monotony redefined.

While that may be true, the main difference to me is job satisfaction. There is a big difference being bored to tears in a mundane civilian office-type job versus standing mid-watch and being bored to tears in uniform serving your country and doing something that - however slight it may be - matters.

donsauga

mOtbaillie you would be suprised at the number of kids who go to rotc or seek a commission for money. it would be foolish to think otherwise. why do you think the rate is so high for kids who do their alloted years and then join the civilian world? it seems like you may not realize that the military is a melting pot, which means you could have a kid who lived off of food stamps and got kicks off of natty ice, and those who ate of a silver spoon. sorry this is so long, but damn how could you be so dumb to not think some people seek a commission for the money... just saying

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
mOtbaillie you would be suprised at the number of kids who go to rotc or seek a commission for money. it would be foolish to think otherwise. why do you think the rate is so high for kids who do their alloted years and then join the civilian world? it seems like you may not realize that the military is a melting pot, which means you could have a kid who lived off of food stamps and got kicks off of natty ice, and those who ate of a silver spoon. sorry this is so long, but damn how could you be so dumb to not think some people seek a commission for the money... just saying

Right, but it's also a lot harder to get a full-ride ROTC scholarship than just the partial 2-year scholarship, correct? All I'm saying is that it is much more rare to find working-class people in college because of the sheer cost and not everybody is aware of a lot of scholarship options out there, hence the the partial rationale behind why a lot of working class youth rule out college all-together.

Sure, there are people who commission just for the money - I'll concede that much and maybe I was too quick in my writing to pontificate a bit more thoroughly. I was just trying to make the point that MOST people commissioning are doing it because they want to, not because they have no other options.

I was really just trying to make a happy-feelgood post that ended up being shat on by a couple people who wanted to bitch and nit-pick semantics.

donsauga

sorry, geez i understand what ur saying, but maybe ur being the nit-picky you know what. i read ur profile and you seem pretty cool so chill, and understand that you are not always right...lol, but it is a great quality of being an officer. and the reason i want to be a usmc officer is because i want to work in an enviornment in which people depend on you, and you depend on them, where you do something that affects hundreds but is a routine tasks for you, want to protect a country and be all i can be lol, and i want to fly kick ass jets, and if not that, then jag corp, which really isn't that lame.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
sorry, geez i understand what ur saying, but maybe ur being the nit-picky you know what. i read ur profile and you seem pretty cool so chill, and understand that you are not always right...lol, but it is a great quality of being an officer. and the reason i want to be a usmc officer is because i want to work in an enviornment in which people depend on you, and you depend on them, where you do something that affects hundreds but is a routine tasks for you, want to protect a country and be all i can be lol, and i want to fly kick ass jets, and if not that, then jag corp, which really isn't that lame.

I'm glad you answered the question and I appreciate that. Sorry for being so defensive - I didn't intend to come off that way, I actually wasn't referring to you when I mentioned the bit about people bitching and being nit-picky. I just hate creating a thread only to see it get shit on by people who are basically just trolling and not contributing anything useful. That's cool that you've got goals and a good idea of what you want to accomplish - good stuff.