• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why do the Marines want me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyOCS

OK, need some general info. About three weeks ago I strolled into the Marine OSO asking about my options for applying for NFO. They said that they have a slot open and its mine if I do well on the ASTB and PT. However my GPA is a whole 2.3. How is that competitive? The OSO said it didnt really matter and I still have a good shot at being selected. Am I being jerked around? I am taking the ASTB on the 22nd of this month and finalizing my package and still going to give it hell. Do the recruiters have "slots" that they must fill? Thanks.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Unless your a 300 PFTer, I don't see why an OSO would say that the slot is "yours". The OSO's all have missions and goals, but they are extremely small given that selection is so freakin hard these days. It's pretty safe to say that no OSO in the country is having a hard time finding the willing number of applicants.

The OSO is telling you the truth when he says that the GPA isn't that important. If your college grades leave something to be desired, but you kick ass on the ASTB and PFT, they will forget about the GPA. On the other hand, you can walk around with a 3.8 and not get selected if you can't PT.

NavyOCS

The thing I have going for me are:
Good letters of Req.
lots of extra curric. activities and mainly
about a 270-275 PFT. They said the run time is a big part.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
He probably means that he will let you apply. That doesn't mean the board will select you.
I think I can safely say I have a good package, and I'm still sweating it.

reapergm

BriSimm007 - Im in the same boat, with about the same GPA. Are you east or west coast? I applied for 184 as an NFO, but was not selected due to "lack of availability". My OSO also said that no NFO slots were opening up to the east coast. Hey also said with my GPA, its going to be hard without the 300pft,.... well, atleast, no gaurantees. Just keep workin on the PFT and study for that ASTB. Good luck man.

NavyOCS

yeah man. Im in south Texas. According to the OSO the average GPA in this area is 2.0. So, I am technically above. What do you mean you appliedm 184 as NFO. I do know I am stessin right about now. With finals untill the 17th and then my ASTB and PFT on the 22nd.
banghead_125.gif
Crap, what am I doin online, I need to study man!

reapergm

Well, I did just that. There were the 2 aviation application options - Air Pilot, and Air, NFO. I couldnt go for the pilot slot with my eyes, so I went for an NFO slot. Either that or ground, which is even more competitive. Dont stress the PFT and ASTB more than finals. You can retake both. Just keep those grades up! (Easier said than done, I know.. but youre PFT will be retested over and over.)

airwinger

pilot
Hmm I went to Florida the OSO there is Capt R an artillery officer who was very conscientous and professional. I think I'd be happier with people who took time to talk to me rather than treat me as a quota. I tried talking to the AF, with 4 years service, superb AFOQT, honors engineering degree, flight time, and they tried to shove me into a technical officer slot. Capt R asked me what I wanted then worked hard to make sure I got it.

Now my two cents about USMC vs Navy and AF is that for the latter when you get selected to go, the process is so rigorous they have a pretty good shot of getting you winged. I think AF attrition was something like 7% overall(OTS->squadron) Navy slightly higher but not much.

Now with us, we know some happy lads are going to fall by the way side, with 50% lost between OCS and TBS and then between 10-30% after that. So they generally over recruit and in truth if all the guys offered air contracts made it all the way through, there'd be some very embarrassed staff officers over at Manpower in HQMC. Also we do accept the fact that many people want to fly Marine Corps(esp jets), but very few are willing to pay the high price(in sweat and pain) to get there.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
hey..one of the guys that got selected for SNA in 185 had a GPA of 2.1...and a PT of 285, with a decent ASTB...he got selected...so I would just PT my butt off, but don't worry about stuff

NavyOCS

The way I see it... Doesnt matter does it. It seems established that the USMC is a little less competetive to get in, but once your in then its hell for a few months. It shouldnt bother you what the recuiters are acting like. Just go for it, apply and bust ass. In the end you just want to fly. The recruiters cant change that. By the way, why dont you want to do PLC?

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
This goes to show how things really change in a short amount of time. When I was applying a couple years ago, GPA was extremely important. I kicked ass on the PFT, but I didn't get selected by the board until I had it up to a three point.
The Navy is being very selective because they are downsizing right now. Any flight school attritions are separated, not sent to another assignment.
Still not the case with my beloved Corps though. If Marines attrite, they are being sent to a ground MOS within a couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.