• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why do I suck (with some iron sights)?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The basics.

Trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture, good stock weld and consistent eye relief. Slow, steady squeeze with consistent follow through on every shot. Don't expect the shot, let the rifle surprise you every time. I'm sure you know them and I'm simply listing them for everyone's benefit - certainly not to be condescending.

No matter the rifle, as long as it's not a total piece of trash then the application of the basics will bring results. I can only imagine what the right hand/left eye dominant thing does to complicate the application of the basics. I would recommend switching to the left hand. The initial change over may be daunting but I really believe in the long run you'll get the results you're looking for by making the switch.

The basics are require but if you shoot cross eye then you put side load/strain on the rifle. The only pressure on the grip and trigger needs to be straight to the rear and shooting cross eye it is almost impossible to have only rearward pressure.

phrogpilot73

I never really "got" the natural point of aim until I took that SPR course from Magpul.
That's another thing that tanks a lot of people, trying to muscle their weapon onto the target. Natural point of aim also works for pistol. Most people wonder why during the 25 yard slow fire I close my eyes the first couple of times that I address the target. After they see my target, they know why. I'm glad I don't have to qualify with a rifle anymore. That was always embarrassing after they've seen how good I am with a pistol.

Renegade One

None
"It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools."
Oh, good grief. My modesty prevents me from even responding to that.
Sorry if I came across as a douche-lord...really wasn't my intention. Frankly, I suffer(ed) the same stuff...was always better with a service pistol than I could ever be with a service rifle. Never figured out my own shit either. However...if you ever get the chance...go and shoot in your annual "Fleet Match" on whatever coast you're on. A solid week (two weeks if you make the "All Navy Team") of shooting with the best bangers in the Navy...mostly Reserves, oddly enough...at least that was my experience. Roger all of the above about "smaller aperture " for the rear sight on a service rifle. Any match grade weapon will probably already have that installed...
There also MAY be a "shooting team" at your active duty base. Back in my time...it was a "secret society...keep it quiet" kind of thing. But once you met the right folks...broke the code...you were in. Probably better these days.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Appreciate the elaboration, R1. Maybe a trip to the NASNI or PT. Loma range to "just ask questions" can help crack the code. I don't think much has changed...if someone has a good deal, they generally don't want to share.

Renegade One

None
Appreciate the elaboration, R1. Maybe a trip to the NASNI or PT. Loma range to "just ask questions" can help crack the code. I don't think much has changed...if someone has a good deal, they generally don't want to share.
Here's the link to the US Navy Shooting Team website...scroll down and you'll find the local/west coast POCs that are best to connect with.
http://www.usnst.org/
The 2012 shooting season appears to be all but over (except for Nationals at Camp Perry...) but now's the time to cozy up and prep for next year. You will NOT be disappointed in the experience.