• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why did you want to become an officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stEAGLE

Or more generally, why did you want to join the military in the first place? Was it due to circumstances that would benefit from some stability, a deep desire since you were a kid, some life changing event, or what? And now that you're in - do you look at the military the same way as when you were a civilian? I don't mean having a better or worse opinion, as that can change from person to person based on a ton of factors, but I mean do you still agree with the reason you joined and are you still happy with that reason.

Might be adding my own input here in not too long...

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
if you grew up wanting to change the world then the military is the place to do it. whether it's defending democracy with weapons or handing out tons of humanitarian relief, no other organization has affected more lives in history. i had the 9-5 office job right after graduation and hated it. i felt like that guy in "office space" and was sick of the dilbert lifestyle. but this was during my wait for OCS. even before i knew that the Navy would give me a chance to develop myself as a leader, see the world, earn some money and serve my country all at the same time. people who are knowledgeable about the military know that officers are held to a higher standard. i'm happy with my decision to serve and can't imagine doing anything else at the moment.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I originally enlisted in the Marine Corps just over nine years ago. At first, I was doing it because I knew that I just wasn't ready for college yet and to piss off my parents, who wanted me to go to college after high school. To be honest, while I kept that attitude I had a pretty difficult time, but once I shed that mindset, it was like a light went on somewhere. It seemed as though becoming an Officer of Marines (who just happens to fly) was the natural progression for me. The Marine Corps has taught me more about myself and what it means to be brothers-in-arms than I could have ever thought possible. Those realizations have not come easily, or without sacrifice. But this is who I am, and I can't imagine having done anything else with my life. Semper Fi.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Warning: very long story ahead

Well, I'm not one... yet

The wish to become an officer probably goes back to me growing up in an Air Force officer's household. Dad was a WSO in the RF4-C and he's currently a squadron commander and navigator in an ANG KC-135 (he's full time ANG). In high school I tried to get into the Air Force and Naval Academies. I had the nominations from my congressman, but I was never appointed. I also applied for an NROTC scholarship; I was essentially accepted for one, but it wouldn't kick in for a whole year (long story)- I would have attended Norwich University in Vermont (like VMI and the Citadel), but it was EXTREMELY expensive. I chose to attend Ohio University instead. Unfortunately, OU only had AFROTC and AROTC. The only schools in Ohio that had NROTC were schools I wouldn't be caught dead at (OSU- entirely too big; Miami- entirely too pompous).

Right before I left for freshman year at OU I talked to an enlisted recruiter to see if there was anything I could do to work towards becoming a Naval Officer... he told me if I enlisted right there the Navy would school me on the ship and then MAYBE I could get commissioned. I pushed that one aside and started college. I studied International Studies- Europe with a minor in Poli Sci. Late in my junior year I started to apply for BDCP. The process became long and drawn out due to the lack of guidance and the fact I was two hours from my recruiter. The whole thing drug out for quite a long time. Winter quarter of my senior year I finally had all of paperwork together. All I had to do was the PRT and my app package would be good to go. Unfortunately the chief I was working with was injured in a car accident right before I left for my study abroad in Germany and I wasn't able to do the PRT...

Three months later I get home from Germany all set to graduate. Little did I know I had to pass a German language test NOT administered by the university to get my final requirement to graduate. When I started the program this req revolved around speaking to a German prof and getting checked off. Apparently it evolved into a bar exam of sorts. My buddy (who is essentially fluent) failed the test three times. I got frustrated and pretty much took some time off school (I like to call it my sabbatical).

A few months later I decided to enlist in the Naval Reserves. I went in as an undesignated Airman (E-3). During this time I was working a retail job (supervisory position) and studying German. With the Reserves you attend drill for 6 months before your 17 day bootcamp; during that time you get all the basics out of the way so boot can focus on damage control and firefighting. I went to boot April 2003. After this you have to complete another phase of training. During this time I was trying to get into IS because I felt my education (99%) finished would be helpful for this rate. August of 2003 I decided I needed to finish my BA; I wasn't gonna screw with the German test so I changed my major to Poli Sci and I only needed to complete 11 hours of class. I finally graduated November 2003.

Fast forward to last month... my Phase 4 training for the Reserves is complete except for the 84 day requirement; my IS rating conversion package went out; and my application package for OCS went out.

Since graduation I got a temp job at a law firm. I do all sorts of crap including research and other clerical BS. I have been drilling for over two years now and let's just say I HATE it. I can honestly say I've done nothing of importance. I sit in a frigging classroom all weekend with a bunch of damn morons. Thank goodness for selfstudy otherwise I'd lose my mind. This past September I decided to look into OCS again. I contacted the same office I dealt with junior/senior year. The only thing they had left on file for me were my test scores (thank goodness). I started the application process up again. I ended up with five letters (2 retired Navy captains, my CO-LCDR, a LtCol my dad works with, and my congressman) and a good motivational statement. All of my paperwork went out October 11....

Sorry for the super long drawn out story. Basically, I want to be a Naval Officer because this is something that I've been trying to do since high school. It's never quite happened and this is a goal I must complete. I want to serve my country in a greater capacity compared to my reserve duty. At this point I would be more than happy to do anything asked of me. My choices were NFO, SWO and Supply.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
the chicks, definitely the chicks!

seriously though. I was living the ski bum life, getting paid to ski every day, and getting paid quite well. I even managed to get health insurance (which is really important if you ski for a living). Life was good, but you know, there isn't a real retirement program in that. There isn't a sense of service either. I've always been a big fan of compulsory service to one's country - not necessarily in the military, but some sort of service. I don't think you can truly appreciate all you have unless you've worked for it. That service could be in the form of military or first responder/paramedic/firefighter, cops, things like that. Sitting on your ass in the DMV does not constitute public service in my book. I certainly have days i REALLY wish i were still a ski bum. However, there are many more days where I'm damn glad for what I do. Just being thanked for being in the military, though seemingly hokey, really does help me deal with the crap that being a military member generates.

So yeah, that's why I joined....and the chicks :)

stEAGLE

thanks for all the good responses so far.

@prop - agreed with "I don't think you can truly appreciate all you have unless you've worked for it." that has been my life ethos since day 1. being born into a lower middle-class family, having to work since i was 15, 2 jobs while going to college, and now being completely independent, it's a tough life compared to the priviledged but it also creates work ethic and more importantly, values. now my values might differ vastly from some of the people here on this forum, or in the workplace, or on the street, but i still have the core beliefs in hard work, earning your keep, and creating your own life for yourself.

that's one reason i've started considering applying to OCS lately. the jobs i've worked out here in LA have not taught me much except for how to say the right thing to please the boss. since i'm still a recent grad (23), everyone treats me like a kid and won't give me the responsibilities i am able to work with. i feel like i've already accomplished alot in my life, especially in regards to working jobs and getting my degree, but i've had a coming-around of sorts. i don't have a problem with authority but i have a problem with the prospect of working job after job, living paycheck to paycheck, basically wasting my life away just so i can have electricity and a running car, while my work in the general scheme of things is quite meaningless.

i look at the military in two ways - it would give me a new home where my work is respected and appreciated, and it would enable me to follow a childhood dream of aviation (though i'm not physically qualified for pilot at the moment, just nfo). plus you can't beat the 20 year pension plan as opposed to the 65 yr old. limit on civilian jobs. i know it's hard work and even those who want to get in and excel can't do it. but i think people like me - those who already have strong work ethics, but are frustrated with the economy and the structure of civlian jobs - would actually do well in the military.

stEAGLE

@helmet - holy **** man! seems like you're on the right track though. persistance usually wins out in the end. i hear you on the college thing - Norwich seems like it would have been up your alley, but i still think you did the right move and attend a school where you could pursue multiple things, rather than some faceless university that might have had a better rotc program. your own personal education and enrichment should definitely take precedence in a situation like that. so kudos on the hard work.

so why Navy instead of Air Force if that was what your dad was doing?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I wanted to be in the Navy since I was young. It started as just wanting to be a jet pilot. Then I matured, saw it was more about serving my country, and I have never looked back. Did HS with the intent of NROTC or USNA... went and did NROTC, loved and hated it, but would do it again in a heart beat: if for no other reason than I got to go on summer cruise, fly jets and helos and made the best decision in my life... be a helo pilot!!

Then flight school. Some hate it, some love. I loved flight school. It was real hard at times, but SO rewarding. Now waiting to hit the fleet.

I would definetly do it all over again, and as of right now, I absolutly do not want a civi job.

helmet91

stEAGLE- in the long run i suppose i am happy with attending public university. i did have lots of fun and i was somewhat close to home. plus, i met my fiance there. If only my physics grades were better in HS...

as for the choice of Navy over Air Force... dad said if he could do it all over again he would have gone to the Naval Academy instead of the Air Force Academy. The Navy offers so many more oppurtunities to junior officers AND in the Navy you can essentially be from any community whereas in the Air Force if you're not a pilot you're nothing. Basically, he didn't want me to go through the same BS he's put up with since graduating from the Zoo in 1975. Being a navigator has hurt his chances at advancement. He's an 0-5 right now; he was active for 12 years and he's been fulltime ANG for 17. He's definitely put in his time but pilots get first dibs on everything. From what I have personally observed and read it seems the Navy isn't quite as screwed up. It seems that command positions are more accessible to all officers, not just pilots or ship drivers.

Also, I saw Top Gun when I was 5 and the GI Joe F-14 was my favorite toy ;) .

I'm just hoping my persistence and two years enlisted in the reserves as well as my letters help me out.

stEAGLE

hehe hear ya on Top Gun ;) that was a big inspiration as well. not just to fly a fighter, but the respect and image of the Navy Officer. for some reason, a Navy Officer just *looks* better than the others ;)

I think you'll be fine in regards to OCS. sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and your previous reserve experience can only help. look at me - i have no previous military experience, haven't been abroad, and have eye problems - if anything i should be the one worrying! but the recruiter seems confident because of my college degree, college GPA and current medical condition (fine). we'll see, going in to take the ASTB on Dec. 2nd to get a better idea if this is the path for me.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
stEAGLE said:
hehe hear ya on Top Gun ;) that was a big inspiration as well. not just to fly a fighter, but the respect and image of the Navy Officer. for some reason, a Navy Officer just *looks* better than the others ;)

I am sure you already know this, if not please read carefully. BEING A NAVAL AVIATOR OR EVEN A NAVAL OFFICER IS NOTHING LIKE THE MOVIE TOP GUN!

sorry but someone had to say it

helmet91

i think we're all aware of that... at least i hope so.

but in 1985 when i was a five year old Air Force brat TG got me intersted in the Navy. therefore, i credit that movie today.

stEAGLE

yeah man that goes without saying. just saying the movie had inspired me to look into it further, kind of like how crap music may inspire some kid to eventually write really good music.

i think what inspired/inspires me the most is my mother, actually. she worked for american airlines in the 70s and when me & my siblings were born, she quit her job to raise us. as soon as we were old enough to make our own dinner and take care of ourselves she went right back to american to fly (i was about age 13, right when my brother joined the air force). because of her job i have flown countless times around the continent and loved every second of it. i knew i wanted my pilot's license, SOMEHOW, when i was around 10 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.