• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why did you join?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
My dad said he wouldn't pay more than in-state tuition. In Alabama, that's not a lot. He, my grandfather on his side along with my grandmother on his side, and my mother had all been in the Navy, so I decided that I would give the Navy my first and best shot. I wasn't interested in the Academy due to my perception of them being not quite a "real" school, so I applied for ROTC.

While in ROTC I honestly had a very difficult time deciding between SWO and aviation; This was mostly due to the fact that I knew that I wouldn't be leading damn near anything until I was 2+ years post-commissioning were I to go aviation, whereas I would (allegedly - things changed a LOT with the new no-SWOS policy) lead a division of sailors almost immediately upon checking into my ship were I to go SWO. In the end, I decided that my being a pilot would enhance my leadership skills more than simply being thrown into the mix as a very much wet-behind-the-ears SWO.

So yeah. That's why I joined.

Charles9t4

NUPOC 30 July OCS
Well I had wanted to be a Marine Sniper every since I can remeber. I watched all the movies even made my own gilly suit and me and my buddies would play stalk games out in the woods at my house. I wanted to enlist but after highschool(I homeschooled) I decided to go to college instead. In September of 01 I almost dropped out of college and joined the marines. I couldn't stop thinking about the families without a father or little girls without the mom's it made me sick and sad, but I thought I could do my countrya better service with my brain instead of toting a .50cal around. Found out about the NUPOC program apealed strongly to my intelect. The rest is history. I leave in 13 days for OCS.

Simply put I wanted to work for a purpose not a paycheck.
To make a difference.
To serve my country.
To get the bad guys.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grew up in the town next to South Weymouth NAS. Watched the Blues fly Phantoms and A-4s over my house every summer....

Simply said to myself as a kid, "I gotta do that for a living."

hist176b.jpg

Circle K

pilot
It feels kind of weird being one of the few to put it this way, but Steve's 1st question was why did we join? I personally didn't have the influence most of you had. I have no family history in the navy or even the military in general. When I first found out about service academies during my freshman year in high school, I was still a little too immature to understand the whole duty to country, giving my life for something bigger, etc. line of thought. In all honesty, at the end of my freshman year, a senior at my high school recieved an appointment to the country club in colorado. The fanfare around that was amazing. I was pretty much hooked right there, like I said, I was young, immature, and thought about only one person, me. And gosh darn all the attention he got was appealing. On top of that, by the time I got close to senior year, I started to understand in earnest that my parents had three kids to start in college in three years, they told me they could pay for one year of instate tuition, those are the two biggest reasons at the time that I applied for and accepted an appointment.

As for Navy vs. AF, etc. and wanting to fly, they both sort of fall into the same answer. I've wanted to fly for a long time, and always been facinated by the idea. When I was looking at different services I had terrible eyesight (we're talking needing a waiver just to be an NFO) At that point, USNA had an established policy on PRK and AF didn't. I knew that with the surgery I had a chance to fly, without, I better be happy with what else you could do in each service. And to this day, I can't figure out how the AF ever beats the navy in that category. I would have been a black shoe with no complaint, I didn't want to drive a missile silo. As for civilian aviation, I didn't really know about places like ERAU and others with aviaiton BA's avalible... and money for a program like that would have reared it's head pretty early even if I knew.

As a post script... after my time in school those reasons in the first paragraph changed considerably. So try real hard to string up the immature high schooler that I was.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many reasons here. I pretty much grew up in Boy Scouting all the way from Tiger Cubs to Eagle Scout, and as such the value of service to God, Country and Others before self was drummed into my head pretty strongly. I grew up in mid-to-upper-middle-class suburbia, and a lot of the kids at my high school talked about being doctors, lawyers, etc. and living the civilian life. It never appealed to me just worrying about chasing the almighty dollar; I needed a higher purpose for my life. Money wasn't an object, I just didn't want to spend my youth with the only purpose being me. See my current signature for how September 11th reaffirmed those priorities.

In high school I was the snot-nosed kid that thought the Academy was the be-all and end all of commissioning programs and didn't want to "half-a**" through ROTC or OCS. As it turns out, I was a Naval Academy reject; I went to NROTC thinking I was going to reapply to the Academy through the unit at my school. That lasted all of 3 weeks into my college career and I ended up staying. Thank God. Never thought about enlisting because I wanted to fly, preferably in a jet, and also be an officer.

Chose the Navy partly in admiration for my mustang LCDR grandfather who served in subs in WWII, but also to be a part of the Tailhook Navy. Didn't choose the Air Force because I wanted to go on the boat. Didn't choose the Marines (although it was a near thing) because I knew I wasn't the type to do the whole infantry thing. I grew up in Ohio, and my dad and I would go the the Cleveland Airshow every year and see either the Blues or Thunderbirds. So I was pretty much hooked on jets from a young age. My eyes were too bad to be a pilot, so I went in initially to be an NFO. The whole PRK deal came around while I was in college, so I jumped on it and eventually got the luck to select SNA and then come to Meridian.

Civilian flying never appealed to me as much; mostly because getting licenses is expensive and they don't let you fly warplanes and drop cool stuff. Thought about getting out and going to the airlines to make a mint when I was 16 planning my next 40 years in minute detail, but it seems that way of life is fading fast. So now I suppose it'll be mid-life crisis time when my commitment runs out, deciding if I want to stay in or not.

jmcdonn2

Kill Al-Qaeda
Why I joined

I enlisted in the Marine Corps when I was seventeen and went to boot camp after I graduated high school. I spent four years in the infantry because in my opinion, when someone thinks of a Marine, they think of a Marine in the infantry. They don't think of pilots, admin, intel, or any of that other jazz. While I was enlisted I achieved the rank of Sgt along with many awards, however, I knew that being an enlisted grunt my whole life was not what was in store for me. So I got out, partied my arse off for a little bit and then went to school to get my degree. Originally, when I got out I knew I wanted to go back in and be an officer and fly for either the Marines or the Navy. However, I kept on trying to convince myself that I did not have to go back to the military to acheive happiness, there were many jobs out there in the civilian world that would pay me a lot of money. All of a suddun, my old grunt unit got shipped to Iraq and a lot of my men were KIA. Ever since then, there is not a day that goes by when I don't think about the men that I trained and served with. I often think that if I was there, I could have made some sort of difference, but I'm sure that I wouldn't have. I know the men of Charlie Company !/2 fought hard and brave and now I feel that I owe something to the ones who have fallen along with the rest of citizens of our country. When I made the decision to go back in, there were a lot of factors involved. What job to do, what service to go in... Because I have a wife I made the decision to do BDCP and hopefully fly jets. The reason I want to fly jets goes all the way back to childhood, teen years, and even while I was in the grunts. Why give up on a dream and then regret your whole life not living it? I don't want to fly in the civilian world or the air force. There is no comraderie in those divisions. I chose Navy over the Marines primarily because of my wife, quality of life, and duty stations. If I was single, there is no doubt that I would go back to the Corps in a heart beat. However, I will never forget the day I received my eagle, globe, and anchor at the Iwo Jima monument at Paris Island, while they played "Proud to be an American." My loyalty is not to the USMC or the USN it is to the flag of the Unites States of America, and to all the infedels out there... I graduate school in less than a year, I have a lot of unfinished business to conduct to you all better watch your As*es. The men and women of the United States Military train everyday to ensure that our flag will fly. And just watch, it will.
To all readers, good luck and Semper Fi.
Jesse McDonnell

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I am not in the military yet, but am trying to get into Marine Corps OCS. But here is my responses of why I am trying to do what I am trying to do. I wanted to be a fighter pilot for a long time, since around 4 or 5 years old. The only books I would read growing up had to do with wars and planes and tanks etc. I have always been hard core about the military. I have always been very patriotic and I am of the opinion that everyone should serve their country, whether through military service or whatever. Of course early on, I was taken by the sight of jets screaming through the air at airshows and thats what made me want to be a jet pilot. Since then, (really only in the last year or so) I have opened my eyes to other types of military avaition and have realized that I just want to fly for us, regardless of my platform. This website has actually been the main factor in this realization, as well as a few other sources. To be honest, I still would like to fly jets if I can, but for the last two weeks, I have been obsessed with helos. It really got me thinking along the lines of being completely happy flying whatever I get.

I had always wanted to be a Navy pilot since I can remember. In the last year and a half that I have been reading this website, I have learned a great deal about the USMC in general, as well as it's Officer and avaition programs. I remember reading some of the posts about the path to Marine flying and thinking that its not what I wanted. Not beacuse it didnt appeal to me, but simply for the fact that being a Navy pilot was all that I ever wanted. Then, about 3 months ago I saw a poster put up in college by my OSO office. Something drew me to it and I couldnt stop staring at it (it didnt even have a cool looking picture of a Hornet or anything, just text). For some unexplainable reason, something inside of me flipped like a switch and I remember thinking that this is what I need to do. I cannot explain this thought process other than saying that I immediatly wanted to fly for the USMC as though I had had that feeling my whole life.

I have touched a little on how I wanted to be in the Navy my whole life and then my sudden desire to be in the Marines. Being a civilian, I don't believe that I have earned the "right" to make fun of the Air Force or any other branch. I think its fair to say that everyone will always think that they are in the best branch, and I think that this thought process is perfectly logical. I dont think that most people say that their branch is the best because it the one that they happen to be in. I believe that they think its the best, and thats the reason that they joined that particular branch in the first place. I have immense respect for a pilot regardless of branch (pretty much everyone in any miltary job in any branch, but focusing on pilots here). Because of my long-time interest in the Navy and then my sudden desire for the Marines, I view both branches as equal as far as the "whoose better" question. I have gotten my butt kicked harder during the Marine Corp PT sessions than the Navy PT sessions, but that certainly does not mean that a Marine Corp Prowler pilot is and more bad ass than a Navy Prowler pilot (for example).

And to end, I have actually made up my mind about a month ago, that if the pilot thing doesnt work out, but I can still have a career in the military, I'm going to stay in. I think that a lot of people think that thats something that they would do, but I feel that I need to be in the military, regardless of if I get to do my "dream job" or not.

Bob

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Well let me start off by saying I am not commissioned yet, but I have a year of NROTC under my belt (had to leave because of schoalrship) and I currently waiting to go SNFO so I hope that my opinion matters. I will tell my story and if you don't think it is worthy then go ahead and delete it since I am not commissioned yet.

I believe that people are given certain talents and desires in their life for a reason. Ever since I have ay memories at all I have been dedicated the the goal of serving my country. I have always been interested in everything that is military related. I have a Private Pilots Cert and my first instructor was a Navy pilot in WWII. He has since passed away, but when he saw me fly the first time I ever handled the controls of an airplane, he told me that I obviously belonged in an airplane. I have a deep love of flying. I also am a certified PADI open water diver and have been shooting for many many years. These are all things that relate to the military and the Navy in particular.
There has never been a doubt in my mind that I would be anything but an officer in the United States Navy, and, like I said, I believe that I have been given the talents I have, and the desires I have for a reason. If I have those talents and desires, I think I would be doing myself a disservice by allowing someone else to do my duty for me. I would not be at all happy in life knowing that someone else is out there taking my place, putting their life on the line for me, instead of me, in place of me.
I realize that on this site I am in the presence of those that have gone before me and those that have done, and are doing, what I so compelled to do. Thank you everyone for all that you have done, and I hope that through my service I can carry on the tradition and make all of you proud.

Pags

N/A
pilot
"...Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight... "

My grandfather was career Navy and when I would visit he would take me to the Academy to see the YPs, the mast of the Maine, and the museums. Back at his house, we'd draw ships and page through Navy history books that he would then let me take with me.

At home, my dad, who missed Vietnam by 2mo as an army officer, and I would page through a big time life history of World War 2, spending hours looking at the pictures, and then we'd watch documentaries on PBS and my first R-rated movie (Full Metal Jacket).

Somewhere in there, I picked up the idea that joining the military would be a great adventure and would sure beat driving a desk. And the Navy's traditions and the oppurtunity to see the world really appealled to me. And in my reading and museum visits, I'd always been fascinated with the pacific war and Naval Aviation.

Scab

pilot
Enlisted out of high school when I was 17. Think I realized that I was way to immature to make it through college, but I always had the dream to one day fly jets off of carriers. I didn't want to end up in the same town working for a little over minumum wage like everyone else at my high school seemed to be doing. I saw the military as a way of serving my country and a way of keeping from stagnating in my home town. Shortly after reporting to boot camp I matured quickly enough to realize I was going to have to make some changes if I was ever going to fly, and...3 yrs later (and a tour through BOOST) I made it to College via ROTC. Many years later, I finally got to fly off of carriers.

Chose the navy because of naval aviation and because I thought I could see more of the world.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Why I joined the military?

I was 18 and graduating high school with a glorious 2.06 gpa. I wasn't ready for college but knew I didn't want to spend the rest of my life working at best buy. I also have a huge sense of patriotic duty as well, and that had a big part in it.
I had actually taken the asvab for the Army, but they wouldn't tell me what I qualified for. I was told I needed to take a physical before I can see what my options are. Well, I had visions of full metal jacket in my head and saw me walking in wearing civies and walking out with a shaved head and bdu's on. Had the Army recruiter told me I could drive tanks (which pretty much anyone can) I would probably still be in the Army today.

I wasn't happy with the Army recruiter and went over to the Navy recruiter. This is the same recruiter that had enlisted my brother two years before. I told him I took the ASVAB and he looked my scores up. Ends up I scored a 95 and qualified for anything I wanted. Long story short, I picked FC and was happy all the way for several years.

So, about 5 years and some change later (while stationed in Japan) I heard about the STA-21 program. Well, I wasn't quite ready to apply yet, I had just put on FC1 and wanted to finish up my Japan tour. Then I transfered and started applying when I got to shore duty. There are several reasons I wanted to be an Officer.

1. All bs aside the pay is simply better.
2. More management involved (I didn't include more leadership for a reason. I think as a NCO being a good leader is equally important)
3. There was the slightest chance that I could fly (something I had always wanted to do, but figured I screwed the pooch on that one)

I guess that's about it. Nine years and a month after enlisting I'm sitting here getting ready to go to college. And even better the Navy is paying me to do it :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I didn't come from a military family though my father was a corpsman in the Navy for 3 years. I simply grew up loving my country and was always very patriotic. Also wanted to fly since I was a little boy. Decided one day that perhaps I could combine both. I wanted to be a little out of the ordinary as well, meaning fly airplanes from a ship, so the Navy was the only way to go.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Growing up in a military family, I loved and adopted the lifestyle. Also it was a way to "give back" to those who made it possible for me.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Well here goes it...

SO why i joined. Well i was pretty much a lazy f-up with above average test scores in high school. Got arrested a few times tried a few things that "expanded my mind". Then one day i realized that i was going no where if i contined my ways. actually started trying in school, straight A's blah blah blah. Realized that i needed some sort of disciplne in my life. Looked at the academys, navy seemed like the best to me. Applied to USNA and NROTC. Got into USNA and NROTC scholarship. Decided the academy might be a little too much discipline. Went NROTC at Illinois. Wanted to be a sub guy....then i cruised on a sub and my mind changed very quickly...then wanted to be an NFO until i went on my 1/c cruise with vfa-122. And now im an SNA loving every second of my stash time...cant wait to get to pcola though

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had to delete a few posts here that strayed away from focus of the thread (yes, even mine). This is not a bust on you guys, I'm just trying to keep the thread from going off on a tangent. In all, great stories by all. Keep em coming.