• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why Aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

penderwt

yut king
I am a Marine officer candidate, on the fence about air vs. ground. I figured this is a good place to get some shameless pro-aviation spin. Don't tell me to go navy, I'm a jarhead, through and through, but I'm looking to sell aviation to myself, and I thought maybe y'all could help.
Thanks

riley

To let you know my perspective, I am an OCC 187 Applicant and plan on being in Quantico in Oct. I have just a little over 100 hrs flight time (PPL - Non-instrument rated) mostly in Cessna 152s and 172s and a little time in a 1960 Mooney. I have no military experience and I don't pretend to know much about military flying for the simple reason that I don't know jack (I've read all the books, though).

My advice to you, and take it with a grain of salt, is to get an introductory flight from your nearest general aviation airfield. Cessna offers a $49 intro flight at their pilot centers (http://learntofly.com/howto/discovery.chtml). If there isn't one near you, check the yellow pages for flight schools/training. A lot of mom and pop places may take you up for free. I earned my certificate from a mom and pop place - best choice ever.

Once you take your flight, if you are smiling from ear to ear and people look at you strangely because you have a goofy look on your face, go air. If you had less than a perfect time, go ground. If you have already flown before and you asked the question, go ground.

I've read it on this forum before, and I agree, you want to be a Marine Officer first, pilot second. From my own limited experience in flying and in life, you will never make it as a pilot unless flying flows in your veins. You have to really want it.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
the way you want to be a Marine is the same attitude you should have about being a pilot. If you dont want it with all your heart and guts dont do it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll add to that. If you need to be talked into it, then you may need to re-evaluate why you want to be there in the first place. Just a word of note.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though the Cesna recomendation is a good one be careful. I did the free Marine flgiht lessons and at the same time had the oportunity to drive an M-1. The cesna had a hard time holding a candle to an M-1 and I came close to giving up my air contract because of the Cesna's limitations but a "wise" "old" Captain sat me down and talked about the difference in military aircraft and Cesnas and my first touch and go in a T-34 that threw me back in my seat confirmed every thing he saidand then I got my hands on a Cobra with some ordnance(still smiling after 5 years). There is little tono comparison between civil and military aircraft and aviation.
Long story short flying is great but flying tactical aircraft that shoot stuff is oh so much better. An infantry major is a staff guy who plans operations an aviator major is still shooting stuff in the thick of it. If you love the Cesna than the decioin is made. if not still look at aviation.
Reagrdless of what you ultimately choose to do good luck and you really cant go wrong but if you decide on aviation you gotta want it more than anything you've ever wanted.

penderwt

yut king
clarification

i've wanted to be a pilot since i was 5...when i found out i needed glasses, i was crushed because i thought that meant i was DQ'd (don't bother replying telling me what my correctable to 20/20 vision, but not naturally perfect vision will mean for my future..believe me, i've researched plenty)

My passion lies in being a Marine, but I think if I don't fly, I'll probably regret it for the rest of my life. I got this habit of grabbin' as much life as i can hold(which is why i'm not joining the navy)<--just kiddin'. if i make the decision to go air, there's no way i won't make it just because i haven't had the easiest time coming to the decision.

all that said, thanks for your input.
SemperFi

usmc03

penderwt- I'll throw my 2 cents in for you. I recently finished TBS and am now Infantry.

By the end of high school, I knew I would be a Marine. Through my first two years of college, I planned on being a pilot.....why?.....we'll it was just sort of automatic......what's toughest-- Marine....what's coolest-- pilot. So go be a Marine pilot, right? Luckily, by the time I was a junior I realized two things: (1) I wanted the challenge and satisfaction of leading young Marines on the ground- the most personal and demanding LEADERSHIP available, (2) I had no true PASSION for flying... I had simply thought it was cool for whatever reason. I was even lucky enough to get a ride in a Cobra before I decided... for me, it did nothing....for others, it does.

You need to figure where you stand on those two. Flying is certainly demanding and technically difficult.... do you want that challenge or do you want what the ground offers. Do you want the satifaction of operating a machine or that of watching your men destroy the enemy?

I will say this. I knew one LT who really wanted to earn an air contract while at TBS....and he did. I knew at least half a dozen air contracts who wanted to drop them at TBS and go infantry/arty/tanks/etc.... only one did.

Go with your gut.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Ok I have to through in my two cents. I have the great fortune to come to a school with a large Navy/Marine ROTC dept. and it also has a ton of PLC guys. So I have had the op to talk to a lot of Company and Field grade officers about both side (air v. Ground) of the house.

When I came to this school I had a four year Navy Scholarship now I have a PLC contract. I have an NFO contract and I always wanted to be a pilot. So I thought about switching to ground "to lead Marines" and I talked to a friend who was going ground and new my passion for going air. He told me that I should go with air because it is something I have always wanted to do and thats what I feel inside.

So what I am trying to say is go with what you feel. You can lead you fellow Marines into combat in the air also giving CAS to those on the ground. So what others have said about if you have to be talked into it then it might not be for you.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AS an aviator you can do both. you can be a FAC with an infantry battalion and some guys get to command the Headquarters and Service company during that time. A grunt will never get a chance to fly but an aviator will get a chance to do grunt stuff

lucky1899

Advice

I'll probably get flamed for saying this but- be a man, go ground. Air has the glamour factor for sure, but the real Marines are infantry. Ok, let the flaming begin, lol.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
lucky1899 said:
I'll probably get flamed for saying this but- be a man, go ground. Air has the glamour factor for sure, but the real Marines are infantry. Ok, let the flaming begin, lol.

and you are?

ControlledBurn

ERAU Student
lucky1899 said:

Lets try to remember that every Marine is a rifleman first. It's the basis of that value that I made my decision to join the Corps. We all work and fight together, we're all riflemen from the start, and every MOS is in support of you groundpounders, especially us aviators.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
lucky1899 said:

I'll repeat what has been said: and you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.