• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are trousers bloused?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I thought it was so when you shit your pants during a bayonet charge, it would just stay in there and the enemy would never know just how scared you really are.

At least that's what my Drill Sargent told my platoon when I went through Army basic training many years ago.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I thought it was so when you shit your pants during a bayonet charge, it would just stay in there and the enemy would never know just how scared you really are.

At least that's what my Drill Sargent told my platoon when I went through Army basic training many years ago.

sounds about right for the Army...

Marines however... :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
sounds about right for the Army...

Marines however... :)
There are many reasons I did not stick with the Army.....

But I will say that anyone who says they are not afraid during battle is a liar. It's handling your fear and doing your job despite that fear that makes you courageous. If it takes blousing your trousers to keep the enemy from knowing you shit yourself while fighting him, so be it.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I told the guys around me at OCS: "I'm not telling you to unblouse your trousers...but if they happen to come undone as you are running out of the Quigley, hey, you aren't gonna stop to fix them..."

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I told the guys around me at OCS: "I'm not telling you to unblouse your trousers...but if they happen to come undone as you are running out of the Quigley, hey, you aren't gonna stop to fix them..."

haha yeah...i hated losing those. SOmehow found them in my pockets later on

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
There are many reasons I did not stick with the Army.....

But I will say that anyone who says they are not afraid during battle is a liar. It's handling your fear and doing your job despite that fear that makes you courageous. If it takes blousing your trousers to keep the enemy from knowing you shit yourself while fighting him, so be it.

There is a difference between being scared and sh!tting your pants...as far as everyong being who says they weren't scared being liars, well I know a few I who I would tend to believe and like you said its all about how you handle it...some guys are more afraid to lose their buddies then their own lives, just the nature of the beast.

Anyway, you left yourself open for that and I was playing, no reason to take it person or anything like that.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
There is a difference between being scared and sh!tting your pants.

I seem to remember going over the pissing/shitting pants in combat thing during the Human Factors class here at TBS. As follows:

Humans have two systems that help them respond to stress:

• Sympathetic nervous system (SNS).
• Parasympathetic nervous system (PNS).

The PNS manages your body’s digestive and recuperative
energy while the SNS mobilizes your body’s energy for
action. Normally these two systems are balanced, but during
extremely stressful circumstances, the body’s fight or flight
response kicks in. The SNS mobilizes all available energy
for survival, thus leaving little to no energy left for the PNS,
often resulting in non-essential activities such as digestion,
bladder control, and sphincter control to shut down.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The PNS manages your body’s digestive and recuperative
energy while the SNS mobilizes your body’s energy for
action. Normally these two systems are balanced, but during
extremely stressful circumstances, the body’s fight or flight
response kicks in. The SNS mobilizes all available energy
for survival, thus leaving little to no energy left for the PNS,
often resulting in non-essential activities such as digestion,
bladder control, and sphincter control to shut down.

But I thought all Marines were automatically fearless by virtue of being Marines, and all soldiers were spineless whimps?

Your explanation doesn't seem to factor Branch of Service into the bodies stress response mechanisms, therefore I reject it in full.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There is a difference between being scared and sh!tting your pants...as far as everyong being who says they weren't scared being liars, well I know a few I who I would tend to believe and like you said its all about how you handle it...some guys are more afraid to lose their buddies then their own lives, just the nature of the beast.

Anyway, you left yourself open for that and I was playing, no reason to take it person or anything like that.
I didn't take it personally....I'm all for bashing the Army. :D

Just made an observation.

MasterHaynes86

I remember running long distances with those things bloused and full of water... hmmm... I know i was probably praying the boot bands would fall off, lol... This summer it might happen

NapalmRat

sometimes you just have to help your boot bands fall off...into ur pocket. all i would do is keep the front part of the trousers bloused and unblouse the back half so water can escape.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I remember running long distances with those things bloused and full of water... hmmm... I know i was probably praying the boot bands would fall off, lol... This summer it might happen

Its real easy running up that hill at the end of the E-course. Just grab your leg before you step down. Your 100 pound legs will now be significantly less!