• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

why are ther eonly three choices to get into the navy through the bdcp?

NightStalker62

why are there only three choices to get into the navy through the bdcp?

why is there only crypto, supply, and aviation? what does supply entail anyway?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't know where yoyu read that, but you can get BDCP for any designator, with the exception of those where you need an advanced degree (Jag, Medical, Dental, etc). Obviously NUPOC is BDCP on steroids, but the thinig about that program, is that you don't need to be in college to collect pay.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
I don't know where yoyu read that, but you can get BDCP for any designator, with the exception of those where you need an advanced degree (Jag, Medical, Dental, etc). Obviously NUPOC is BDCP on steroids, but the thinig about that program, is that you don't need to be in college to collect pay.
Civil Engineering Corp (CEC) has it's own program similar to NUPOC. That is why you can't get CEC through BDCP. All other OCS programs are eligible for the BDCP option.

Supply Corps Officers are the busniess mangers of the Navy. They handle everything from finance, to logistic, to food service, to retail sales, and more. Huge opportunities in the Supply Corps now. Best to have a business degree, econ, hotel managment, etc.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
NightStalker62 said:
well the question is would the bdcp be a good program to actually go onto a ship and to lead there?

??? Not sure what you mean there. The downside to BDCP is that you're signing up to a binding agreement before you really know what you're getting into. ROTC you can leave after 1 year, w/no further obligation, USNA you can do that after 2 years.

However, with BDCP if you want to DOR from OCS, you're going to great lakes. Under BDCP, you don't get to do any sort of midshipman cruises, and your first exposure to the Navy will be OCS. Was that what you were asking?

NightStalker62

i mean like aviation obviously means flying and supply means taking care of finances, logistics, etc. i mean when if i sign up and do bdcp and then complete ocs can i be placed on a naval ship and and work there? i really wouldnt want to do anything else if i went in. supply doesnt really sound like my thing ans neither does aviation.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
NightStalker62 said:
i mean like aviation obviously means flying and supply means taking care of finances, logistics, etc. i mean when if i sign up and do bdcp and then complete ocs can i be placed on a naval ship and and work there? i really wouldnt want to do anything else if i went in. supply doesnt really sound like my thing ans neither does aviation.

keep in mind, with BDCP, you apply and are accepted for a particular designtor. You don't go into OCS not knowing what you'll do. Are you saying you want to be a SWO? If that's the case, you'll simply apply for it, and if accepted, that's what you'll do after OCS.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
NightStalker, if you want to be a SWO, check out Sailor Bob. There's a metric @ss-ton of good SWO gouge over there. They might be able to help you out. Or you could just ask Steve.

NightStalker62

thats what i was looking for but i doubt my chances for becoming an swo without a tech degree. well i guess i have a couple months or even years to wait and see how this pans out.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You can become a SWO without a tech degree. In fact, most of the SWOs I know did not have tech majors in college.

Its all about OTJ training. The Navy will either send you to a school or you'll learn about the ship by asking people "hey, what's this do and how's it do it?"... usually a combonation of both.

Interestingly enough, that's how I learned DC on the Reagan... spent a day at the DC trainer in Norfolk then asked the Chief "Hey... what do you do when [insert event here] happens?"

NightStalker62

when did you get commissioned? also it says on the general officer descriptions that you need two years of calc and calc based physics. it sucks for me a lot since i am only in algebra 2 and then i have to take precalc and then calc. i am very much far behind and that is what mainly decourages me in all of this stuff that is in my way to get comissioned. even if i wa in an nrotc program or at the academy it would all be the same. i would be behind. i do thank this place for showing me various opportunities to get that ensign bar. i do hope to come back here in four years and help people out but i have a lot of stuff to get through and a lot of work to do. this is going to be very hard.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
This past may. You can get that without being a tech major. You may have to take some extra classes on top of your course load, but it can be done. There are plenty of history/english/business majors (and other non-tech programs) that are aviators, swos and submariners.

My SNFO roommate was a history major and I have a SWO friend who was an English major...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
NightStalker62 said:
when did you get commissioned? also it says on the general officer descriptions that you need two years of calc and calc based physics. it sucks for me a lot since i am only in algebra 2 and then i have to take precalc and then calc. i am very much far behind and that is what mainly decourages me in all of this stuff that is in my way to get comissioned. even if i wa in an nrotc program or at the academy it would all be the same. i would be behind. i do thank this place for showing me various opportunities to get that ensign bar. i do hope to come back here in four years and help people out but i have a lot of stuff to get through and a lot of work to do. this is going to be very hard.

You don't neccassirly have to take the other math before you take calc- its going to depend on the school you go to. The highest math that I took before Calc 1 was Alg2/Trig and I took a year off from math in between. Many of us started off in the same place you are- keep plugging along.