• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are so few professionally recommended to OCS? IWC.

BlueDacnis

IP Officer - Graduated OCS 20JUL18
Hmm, I may be misinterpreted as going after others. It's absolutely not the intention. I am very happy about smorris' selection and wish my warmest congratulations. My astonishment and curiosity had only been with the process itself and my original understanding. But if in fact no particular skills or education are needed, it makes it a lot different.

I was under the impression someone would have to have some decent understanding of computer science and IT networking/infosec to be considered for selection, just like there's strict educational/skill requirements for CEC, EDOs/AEDOs/AMDOs, CWEs, and some other designators. If that's not the case for INTEL/CW/IP, then it all makes sense. For that, I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding.

To be clear where I'm coming from, it is without a doubt a process you'll rarely, if ever, find in the civilian world (barring cases of nepotism) in engineering/IT-related industries. If your education, skills, and experience do not directly correlate to the position, you won't even be considered. I'm not sure if other folks on this forum work in these fields outside of the DoD, but for those who do, some degree of surprise is expected. In any case, if anyone has any interest in getting into the tech industry at any point in the future, I'm more than happy to help, especially as I do this sort of thing IRL.

Rest assured, the reserve side for the IWC is compleeeeetely different and more like the civilian world, as far as demanding prior experience, relevant education, etc.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

There is MAJOR thing you are forgetting - the military will train/teach you what you need to know, usually to lowest common dominator in the class.

To what extent? Could I apply to be a Seabee and they'll teach me civil engineering? I've done all the math and physics already, so there's that.

jRiot504

I can't say for all fields, particularly on the officer side, for obvious reasons. Those that don't require specific degrees (Law, Medicine, etc...) will teach you what you need to know. Military training is different from college. You are solely focused on learning you job for 8 hours a day plus and nothing else. By doing this it is much easier to learn the required material as you don't have to compartmentalize different subjects and since your needs are taken care of (food, clothing, shelter) you don't have to think about that either. It is fairly difficult to not learn your job in the military - certain exceptions apply, SPECWAR, Pilot, ATC and I am certain a few others.

Remember those who go NUPOC have 18 months of schooling but they have the necessary background to learn the material. For example you can't expect a journalism major to pick up thermodynamics when they haven't had calculus, thus they have minimal standards. I suspect this is why CWE has a standard because they can't expect to teach you everything from the ground-up e.g., they can't teach you a DMA attack when you don't know how memory is stored in a computer.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
There is MAJOR thing you are forgetting - the military will train/teach you what you need to know, usually to the lowest common dominator in the class.
As a generalization, pretty much. This is indeed the case for Intel/CW/IP

Rest assured, the reserve side for the IWC is compleeeeetely different and more like the civilian world, as far as demanding prior experience, relevant education, etc.
The Reserve IWC selection process for DCO program is stupid competitive, not because the jobs are hard, but only because there are stacks of applicants and limited amount of slots.

D

For example you can't expect a journalism major to pick up thermodynamics when they haven't had calculus, thus they have minimal standards.

Of course. For some reason I was under the impression IP had such standards too (though in terms of IT-related topics, obviously not thermodynamics and such). Hence my earlier confusion.

I suspect this is why CWE has a standard because they can't expect to teach you everything from the ground-up e.g., they can't teach you a DMA attack when you don't know how memory is stored in a computer.

Yes, I was originally looking into CWE quite a bit as this is basically what I do day-in, day-out. You sure as hell better be a competent software programmer and practically are required to be educated in CS because it requires a deep understanding in CS topics. They give technical interviews like it's for a software position at a tech company. They don't screw around and there's no exceptions. I love it!

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
To what extent? Could I apply to be a Seabee and they'll teach me civil engineering? I've done all the math and physics already, so there's that.
Nope because professional registration is required to promote and (for the most part) you cannot obtain professional registration without an accredited degree.

Also, note that you don't join the Seabees as an officer, you join the CEC and then go to a Seabee unit. I'd be happy to expand on that just trying to clear up some confusion.

D

Nope because professional registration is required to promote and (for the most part) you cannot obtain professional registration without an accredited degree.

Precisely as I thought and know. Thank you sir. Just wanted to object to a generalized statement (which then was subsequently clarified) made earlier. I'm a software and sometimes EE guy. Of course I know I have no place in the CEC (otherwise I'd apply).

D

Ma'am* apologies. Random question: I know it's not CEC, but would you happen to know if the EDO DCO boards are strict about being an EIT/PE. In my field, it's not even a thing. Most people I know don't even know what it is (both CS and EE people).

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRed389

None
Ma'am* apologies. Random question: I know it's not CEC, but would you happen to know if the EDO DCO boards are strict about being an EIT/PE. In my field, it's not even a thing. Most people I know don't even know what it is (both CS and EE people).

Very few EDO's are PE's.

If CEC actually requires PE certification to promote, I'm even more glad I didn't accept their redesignation offer.