• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who's who

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Banned
Q: How many of Who's Who high school students cheat on tests?

A: 39% of A and B "Who's Who Among High School Students" high achievers cheat on exams and quizzes, as found in a recent poll. Two thirds of these high-achievers copy homework.

In 1993, the findings were actually slightly higher (40% and 78%) so it is not necessarily true that we are getting worse as a society.

Sources: http://www.whoswho-teachers.com/3attitudeANDsopinions/26.aspx and http://www.newsday.com/other/education/ny-cheaters-conflict,0,656890.story

Q: How many students admit to regularly engaging in cheating?

A: Over 50%, in almost every survey done in the past five years.

"75 percent of [high school students] engage in serious cheating."
"More than half have plagiarized work they found on the Internet."
"Some 50 percent of those responding to the survey said they don't think copying questions and answers from a test is even cheating."

Sources: http://www.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers.ednews/04/05/highschool.cheating/ April 5, 2002

Q: How bad is it?

A: 47% go to a school with a lot of cheating.
Sources: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/primetime/US/cheating_poll_040429.html

"Let’s be upfront: cheating—most commonly in the insidious form of copying or other illicit collaboration—happens quite a bit at Harvard on take-home assignments, especially problem sets. Worse, Harvard’s prohibitory policies on inappropriate collaboration, while explicitly stated in the Handbook for Students and often in course syllabi themselves, are enforced about as effectively as anti-terrorism legislation is enforced by the Palestinian Authority."
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=255644

Q: Latest example?

"DENVER (AP) - Six cadets have resigned from the Air Force Academy during an investigation in which 70 freshmen cadets are accused of cheating on a 25-question online test." May 8th 2004

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4068566,00.html

I know somebody who left the Air Force Academy recently before starting the third year. He left because it was difficult for him (he was also home schooled through high school), but these seventy freshman have no respect right from the start? How disguisting.

However, I am proud of the Air Force Academy for kicking people out like that, even though they had the sex scandals that made them look bad already. This actually makes them look very good, because everybody knows from statistics that cheaters cheat anyway, honor code or not, and the fact that most schools would try to keep that kind of information from the press, the Air Force Academy seems kind of proud! Good for them.

The Navy (and I will be objective here as always) had a big scandal in 1994 that lead to an EIGHTEEN MONTH INVESTIGATION. "Officials said... the 24 expelled midshipmen will not be required to repay the academy for their educations, which cost as much as $90,000. Nor did he order them to serve for three years in the enlisted ranks. Current seniors will be allowed to finish their spring courses but will not get academy degrees." So basically, nothing was even done after doing the eighteen month investigation. It teaches students to cheat as seniors to get out of the committment.

"The cheating incident occurred when an unknown number of midshipmen obtained copies of a stolen electrical engineering exam a few days before it was given. Investigators for the naval inspector general found that 134 midshipmen were involved in varying degrees. Some were accused of buying and selling copies of the exam for as much as $50. Others were charged with writing formulas and other information on index cards based on the exam and using the cards in the examination room. Still others were accused of lying to investigators about their knowledge of the cheating.

"I admitted I was guilty," said Lance Barnes, a defensive end on the 1993 football team. "The bottom line is ... that people were kept for doing the same thing I did. I don't understand why I am different from my classmates."

This is really sickening, considering these people beat others out, possibly other cheaters :icon_rage Then, these people cannot take responsibility for their actions whatsoever. (In defense of the USNA, they brought in an ethics course and other improvements to highlight morals to their students.)

manny7_99

hmmm... I've never cheated. I actually think that not cheating demerits me, I've never been slick enough to do it :eek:

I'm on the Who's who crap BTW.

Manny7_99
Pre Mr. Universe 2008
Pre BUDs graduate class 301

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
In the real world you can look up what ever you want to do a job. If it is not life threatening, why memorize anything? Cheating is usually just a reminder of how to get the answer, not the actual answer itself.

"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!" - from the same guys who said,"If you ain't deep sea, you ain't 5hit!"

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"The Navy (and I will be objective here as always) had a big scandal in 1994 that lead to an EIGHTEEN MONTH INVESTIGATION."

10 years later....

I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but, what's the point of the post?

Integer

Banned
If you're looking up stuff for a job, that's not cheating in itself. Heck, you're being paid NOT TO re-invent the wheel every time.

Cheaters always think they are smart. Cheaters also always worry about being called cheaters in the presence of professors.

There is no reason not to report a cheater right in front of their face. 90% of the time, nothing will even happen to them--thus, we need to report cheaters as much as possible. You have to watch your closest friends to make sure they put forth their best and not hurt themselves by cheating. The funny part is that someone asked me not to make fun of them for cheating in front of a professor because, quote, "he'll think I'm cheating." (They way she said it she honestly sounded like she forgot that cheats on all math exams.) HEY, GUESS WHAT, HONEY?!!!!!!!! YOU DID!!!!!!

Hey, guess what? Hardcore legit students have, what is called, "ethics." These same ethics also allow them to report cheaters, even friends.

I've gone to lunch and movies with people I've reported, the same people who I make fun of for cheating every day. The relationship can work. You can still be friends with cheaters. However, don't allow them to.

--Zab, I guess I was implying that since the Air Force made public the sex scandal, and the cheating scandal, that the Air Force is currently very anti-cheating, which is a good thing. However, the last time the USNA had a cheating scandal was ten years ago. It is absurd to think that zero students have cheated in the USNA in the past ten years, considering that engineering students have the highest rates of cheating and 50% of students of all majors across all colleges admit to cheating. However, here we are talking about students who have to have good grades just to get in the USNA, so there's even a higher chance they had to cheat to become competitive for it. Therefore, the USNA is ignoring, allowing, or hiding that they have cheaters. (I know they don't kick cheaters right away; they make them take ethics courses, but that could be considered hiding.) So, my point was, and I was trying to be objective, is that the Air Force Academy looks like the most respectable college in the US right now.

manny7_99

I've been trying to figure that out for quite a while, almost got a headache but still no answer. good point

manny
pre-president of the UN

Integer

Banned
I did answer the question.

After I posted my post, I saw that ZAB had posted his question while I was typing my reply.

So, I went and edited it with my response to his question. While I was typing THAT reply to Zab's question, YOU post that I didn't answer the question... Geez :)

So now I am typing this post :)

Integer

Banned
How did you know? Did I say that somewhere? I meant to say that in my other post, the one where I talked about writing a life story right now. Yeah, I hope to teach at the Naval Academy and make those bastards work their asses off. Especially if I don't get in, I will get a Master's just to go teach there as a civilian. I'm sure as heck as arrogant as professors are.

Notice how I said I "hope" to teach and not I "will" teach at the USNA. To do that, I would have to choose to make it a goal and then follow it. I haven't made it a goal yet.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm still trying to figure you out Integer (probably impossible to do). Are you saying that if you never get in to USNA that you wont try any other commissioning source?

I'm curious...

manny7_99

yup

NozeMan said:
I'm still trying to figure you out Integer (probably impossible to do). Are you saying that if you never get in to USNA that you wont try any other commissioning source?

I'm curious...

Yeah, I wonder the same thing my friend. :eek:

UInavy said:
That who's who is a scam in itself anyway. They send you a letter asking you to pay money to be included in a book that you can buy from them. I would doubt that its an accurate representation of america's best and brightest.

Yeah, I agree, I mean I'm in there! :D how accurate could it be? I didn't pay though.

Integer

Banned
NozeMan said:

I'm curious...

To make things simple, I have one clear goal right now. To earn a way into the Naval Academy. Then, to become huge, strong and fast. Then, play Navy Football. Then, to graduate. Then fly as a NFO, etc. It's hard to play a Navy sport without attending the USNA.

Now, I do know about the other commissioning sources, but I try not to think about them right now. There are also civilian opportunities that I try not to think about right now. There are many options if I don't get in, some of which include OCS (though maybe not right away.) Other options include pursuing a Master's and getting involved in the Naval Academy as a Professor.

I can worry about non-USNA commissions, advanced degrees, and civilian and military opportunities some other time. What you guys must realize is that the hard work that I feel it takes to earn a spot at the USNA will be the same hard work that would help me in any path that I would take should I not get into the USNA. I just can't lose by focusing on the USNA.

I'm pretty confident that after all is said and done, I will have served in the military in some shape, fashion, or form.

trt23

integer, just so you know, in the real navy cheating is just called "gouge." so don't get all hyped up about it, bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.