• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who's Federal Budget is right???

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
To be fair I blundered into copyright infringement in my rush to point out multiple typos.

I think that's a fair and important point.
Since the title of this thread is grammatically incorrect, my irony meter is pegged.;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the actual budget is forthcoming this week, but this doesn't give much data to crunch.

But whose budget would that be? President sent his to Congress in February. GOP is simply playing politics. Their budget "proposal" means nothing other than to garner headlines.

The Congressional Budget Committees will dictate top line/apportionment for the various committees/subcommittees to work against from now until they go to conference and eventually go to president as various bills (ie defense) for approval (this is simplification of a convoluted open/closed door process with many players).

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Seems to me that pamphlet they released was another childish GOP stunt!

GOPcrybaby.jpg

I’ll reserve my true thoughts on the GOP proposal when the actual budget alternative (with real numbers this time) is released on Wednesday… which, come to think of it, is April Fools day :eek:. I have a feeling the GOP is going to change that release date… or at least should for obvious reasons.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
But whose budget would that be? President sent his to Congress in February. GOP is simply playing politics. Their budget "proposal" means nothing other than to garner headlines.

The Congressional Budget Committees will dictate top line/apportionment for the various committees/subcommittees to work against from now until they go to conference and eventually go to president as various bills (ie defense) for approval (this is simplification of a convoluted open/closed door process with many players).
Good point, HJ. The alternate budget proposal, as stated above by the Renegade for release on 1 April.

Not sure if the release date is to garner headlines as well.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good point, HJ. The alternate budget proposal, as stated above by the Renegade for release on 1 April.

Not sure if the release date is to garner headlines as well.

Anything to make opposing party look like they need to be diminished. That's why I pretty much abhor politics and support bipartisan initiatives. If country is in trouble, why can't they addresss issues at hand instead of constantly using every opportunity to belittle the other side and cause uncertainty in public confidence. Since majority party gets to run the show in House and Senate as well as all committees, do you think they'll give the alternative proposal any thought. Hell no. Since the Dems don't need Republican support to "have it their way", it's just an opportunity for soundbites (more pots calling the kettle black).

The real work on the FY10 Budget is being handled by Committee Staffers away from public eye while the members listen to witness testimony from JSC, Service Chiefs and co. while asking questions that make them look informed (written by their staffers) on CSPAN1/2. meanwhile, services are scrambling for potential redo on PR 11 that will have to adjust to President's druthers late in the game and possibly major rework of what was POM 10 before it turned into the President's Budget. Not fun to be manning a desk in the POM trenches right now.

Random8145

How can one be bi-partisan though if you disagree strongly with what the other side is proposing? If the country is in trouble, both sides do want to address the issues at hand, but both have different ideas for how to do it. One side wants to raise taxes, the other lower them. One side wants to increase government, the other limit it, and so forth :confused:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How can one be bi-partisan though if you disagree strongly with what the other side is proposing? If the country is in trouble, both sides do want to address the issues at hand, but both have different ideas for how to do it. One side wants to raise taxes, the other lower them. One side wants to increase government, the other limit it, and so forth :confused:

I don't think it's that black and white. Despite their differences, I believe they should tone down the character and issue assassination tactics and seek bipartisan resolution addressing the topics du jour. Despite what a party might say, votes are usually along local political lines anyway that may or may not align to national party position. You don't have to agree with someone to sit down and hash out a solution. Our nation is built on democracy through voting so majority will win out at end of day. Both sides spend way too much time attacking each other to try to end up as the majority party.