• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who can render first salute at commissioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
My buddy (a member here, Fmr1833-he just doesn't have time to post right now) is getting commissioned this Friday. He was going to have his father, who's retired enlisted, render his first salute. His NROTC unit at USF, which is only 3 years old has told him that only an active duty enlisted member may render the first salute at his commissioning. I've personally seen commissionees have retired family members render their first salutes, and a friend of mine here says that he's positive that this is okay. Can anyone shed some light on this, and/or provide a link to (or at least a quote from) the specific instructions governing commissioning ceremonies?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
as long as the family member is retired and authorized to wear the uniform, he can get in uniform and render the "silver dollar salute"

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I had my wife do it :), I also had my dad swear me in.

But I'll echo all above. If they're authorized to do wear a uniform, they can do it.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Salute is mostly ceremonial so you can have any of the above mentioned situations render it. the Oath is a legal contract and must be a commisioned or retired officer. I had a good friend who was still a reservist prior to his own commisioning a few months later give me mine

Status
Not open for further replies.