• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Whiting Vs Corpus

RoarkJr.

I might come back and build a barndo in Pace for retirement. That is, if the wife says no to Hampton Roads and insists.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Corpus Christi has the best sailing and windsurfing conditions in the USA. And I miss cheap avocados, and fresh made tortillas made by the local grandma at the HEB.

But I'll never, ever, no matter how much money you pay me, live in that fucking piece of shit godforsaken redneck texan part of the world ever again.

Pensacola? If the money and job was right, I'd go back.
I agree with parts of this...can’t understand why anyone would live in Corpus unless you were assigned there by Uncle Sam. But then again, I feel the exact same, “piece of shit godforsaken” thing about the D.C. area. It’s only the paycheck keeping me here.

Pensacola...nice place to visit but I would want to live there!

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
When I said, "Corpus Vs Whiting" I meant as an instructor, not living there as a student. I'm married with children, so I wont be plowing sorority chicks (All at once anyways). But, is buying a house in Corpus suicide?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
When I said, "Corpus Vs Whiting" I meant as an instructor, not living there as a student. I'm married with children, so I wont be plowing sorority chicks (All at once anyways). But, is buying a house in Corpus suicide?
OK....I did you a tiny favor and called a sibling that works in the mortgage brokering business running a very large shop covering the western US. Here is what she says.

Texas real estate is hot right now, but Corpus , not so much. In your favor it is a buyers market but there is a significant gap in "middle income" housing meaning you can easily find a 1950's Texas tar paper rancher for under $200K and you can easily find a genuinely lovely mansion with bay views for above $800K. Finding something in between gets a bit more competitive. I haven't lived in Corpus since the last millennium so I have zero idea what the schools are like so it might not be worth living near the base. In her mind, and I couldn't tell her how long you might be stationed there, she thinks housing will increase about 1.5% over the next few years. Now, my sister is a good person and as kids she took good care of me...that said, she doesn't know you and her job is to get mortgages out the door so she always sees the sunny side of the real estate market.

I would look at it this way. If you can sell a house you own near New River (say Jacksonville and assuming you own one there) then you will probably be able to sell any house you purchased in Corpus and maybe make a few bucks. An investment...not a really great one...but it could be better than rent. When I was there I lived on base (married with children) and it was nice. The house they gave me was massive but I think those have all been torn down and replaced with newer stuff.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So are you saying that Austin is so much MORE than just a college town?
It’s not a college town, it’s a city that happens to have a college. They are so much more though. Building a homeless shelter on 5th street did wonders for the nightlife on 6th. Nothing like adding a bunch of bums and needles to add to the scene.

SlickAg

pilot
It’s not a college town, it’s a city that happens to have a college. They are so much more though. Building a homeless shelter on 5th street did wonders for the nightlife on 6th. Nothing like adding a bunch of bums and needles to add to the scene.
Terrible traffic, pretty high cost of living, bums taking dumps all over the street, tent cities everywhere, Austin has turned into Texas’ very own San Francisco.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Terrible traffic, pretty high cost of living, bums taking dumps all over the street, tent cities everywhere, Austin has turned into Texas’ very own San Francisco.

Stop letting them move to CO. Keep Austin weird.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

My buddy made out pretty nicely on his. Bought in a good school district, not too far from the SPID. Ultimately, real estate is relative to the area, so you aren't paying NYC prices and you won't get NYC returns unless something dramatically improves in any given area.

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
OK....I did you a tiny favor and called a sibling that works in the mortgage brokering business running a very large shop covering the western US. Here is what she says.

Texas real estate is hot right now, but Corpus , not so much. In your favor it is a buyers market but there is a significant gap in "middle income" housing meaning you can easily find a 1950's Texas tar paper rancher for under $200K and you can easily find a genuinely lovely mansion with bay views for above $800K. Finding something in between gets a bit more competitive. I haven't lived in Corpus since the last millennium so I have zero idea what the schools are like so it might not be worth living near the base. In her mind, and I couldn't tell her how long you might be stationed there, she thinks housing will increase about 1.5% over the next few years. Now, my sister is a good person and as kids she took good care of me...that said, she doesn't know you and her job is to get mortgages out the door so she always sees the sunny side of the real estate market.

I would look at it this way. If you can sell a house you own near New River (say Jacksonville and assuming you own one there) then you will probably be able to sell any house you purchased in Corpus and maybe make a few bucks. An investment...not a really great one...but it could be better than rent. When I was there I lived on base (married with children) and it was nice. The house they gave me was massive but I think those have all been torn down and replaced with newer stuff.

Thanks for the input. I hope you didn't go through too much trouble for me, calling your mortgage broker for me. The information does really help. The new base housing are town houses and are kind of cramped. Right now looking, were looking at south Flower Bluff and anywhere off the SPID near a nice school.