• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Whiting Vs Corpus

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
I couldn't find any threads that discussed this. Ok guys, lets finally end this debate! If you'd prefer Pensacola over Corpus , say Yayyy!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The dependas in one place are into southern cooking and the dependas in the other are usually about the Tex-Mex. Not sure how the long term divorce rates compare, but anecdotally, both are pretty high.

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
Dependas? I prefer the term, Tri-Care-Atops. One thing that did suck about Santa Rosa County, is you couldn't drink beer on Sundays at Texas Road house. It's like dude, I'm at Texas Roadhouse, give me some beer! What is this? The Kingdom Of Saud?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Dependas? I prefer the term, Tri-Care-Atops. One thing that did suck about Santa Rosa County, is you couldn't drink beer on Sundays at Texas Road house. It's like dude, I'm at Texas Roadhouse, give me some beer! What is this? The Kingdom Of Saud?

This has since changed. I remember this as a student, but fortunately, it changed by the time I was an IP.

Also, I loved Corpus for primary. One of the best times of my life.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Never went to Corpus. I had a grand time in Pcola but I lived in Escambia county and didn't have to deal with blue laws.

Meyerkord

pilot
I'm glad I did primary in Corpus but I don't ever want to go back.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Never went to Corpus. I had a grand time in Pcola but I lived in Escambia county and didn't have to deal with blue laws.
I remember not being allowed to buy beer before kickoff of the football game I intended to watch. Not the same as no beer, but still

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Had to plan ahead in Meridian/MS if I recall and buy your Sunday booze on Saturday by COB. But then again, you could apparently legally drive with an open container if that was your jam. My other memory was of a safety stand-down at the club where the intent was for the local PD to come in and do a field sobriety test demo for the masses. There were 4-5 students pulled, all given progressively larger amounts of alcohol leading up to the stage act. Meanwhile there were kegs everywhere and we all got into the festive spirit (with DD's/spouses of course). Anyway, it backfired monumentally. The fifth guy who had pounded 5-6 drinks passed the test (I guess it was a blind test from the PD's perspective). And then I believe the XO crashed a golf cart outside and we were banned forever from having such social gatherings again there. Great night

RoarkJr.

Pensacola has been great for me. I have an apartment on the Bay in East Heights. Good mix of surf culture, military, history, “city stuff” (downtown), and small town (Santa Rosa fair etc.). Very similar to Hampton roads in my opinion (where I’m from). The only downside for me has been the perpetual humidity and rainfall.

I’m not sure what the main complaints are except maybe Pace and Milton being boring if you chose to live there. Or I could see people who are into the nightlife wanting a little bit more or perhaps a larger city that’s closer.

Birdbrain

pilot
I lived in Milton, about 10 minutes from the flightline, it was great for planning ahead to get to base but that left your entertainment options to running through the lovely backwoods Equestrian Trail or going to one of the two bars in town. Groceries were either Commissary or Walmart/Publix 20 minutes away. Pensacola was 45 minutes/$60 Uber away for your Friday night planning. Pensacola has so much more to offer than the infamous Skank Tank once you start to explore it more, and the area as a whole really grew on me in the months before I selected.

I hear people like Corpus too. It's seems like a horse apiece you'll probably like wherever you go.

Pags

N/A
pilot
TW-5 QOL seemed to depend a lot on whether you lived in Milton or Pcola. I get the attraction of being close to work but then you're in the boonies on the weekend.