• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting Pistol/Rifle Qual

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone been through the rigmarole of getting their pistol/rifle quals while in primary/advanced at whiting? Since that command doesn't physically qualify anyone we potentially have the option to qual with a contractor. Said contractor explained that we have to find out if the CO or someone in the CoC with directive from the CO will sign off on the quals. Anyone know where I should start without pissing the wrong person off by asking a question like this? Another month or so until I class up so I figured I'd knock it out.

Thanks

I was a -2 IP. While I knew a couple students who did this, they never involved the squadron. I believe they went through the conspiracy theorists course.

Plus side is if you do this you'll get to shoot which is always fun. Minus side is you'll get to be mistaken for an academy kid every time you're in your Khakis while in the VTs... That and you risk the stigma of some people thinking you "bought" your medals.

The pistol qual you'll get in the fleet before deployment. The rifle qual- meh.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was a -2 IP. While I knew a couple students who did this, they never involved the squadron. I believe they went through the conspiracy theorists course.

Plus side is if you do this you'll get to shoot which is always fun. Minus side is you'll get to be mistaken for an academy kid every time you're in your Khakis while in the VTs... That and you risk the stigma of some people thinking you "bought" your medals.

The pistol qual you'll get in the fleet before deployment. The rifle qual- meh.
If you fly a working man's aircraft you'll get both ribbons in the fleet. Where they'll be promptly ignored under a stack of Campaign medals, GWOTs, Battle Es, Sea Service Ribbons and all the other crap you'll accrue. If you're a VP guy you'll get to make all the rotary wing guys jealous by accruing air medals during "combat flights" over countries with no air defense beyond a well aimed Kalashnikov.

jtmedli

pilot
Don't mess with the Capt Ron crap. Focus on flying. No one cares if all you have is a McDonalds Ribbon right now. We all know how it works 'round here.

You WILL get your pistol qual at a minimum when you get to your fleet squadron. Us helo guys still get the M4 qual too. And if you're real cool, the Army guys/SEALS/whoever is bored as hell at that particular moment and wants a helo ride for the sake of "training" or whatever will let you shoot anything they've got.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget the GWOT SM. Defending freedom, one phone watch at a time.
Does this mean the next time we go to war, everyone gets three ribbons for just showing up? Is that how it works?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does this mean the next time we go to war, everyone gets three ribbons for just showing up? Is that how it works?

I guess. Technically I got that once GWOT kicked off. One NDM for 'Merica, One NDM (star) for 9/11/GWOT, and then the GWOT SM. I'm kind of a big deal...don't act like you're not impressed.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."

In the spirit of "jointness" we'll adopt the Air Force's policy on medals - so you'll get FOUR for every one war...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

In the spirit of "jointness" we'll adopt the Air Force's policy on medals - so you'll get FOUR for every one war...

I got 5 ribbons for one deployment, woo hoo!

Beyond medals that recognize valor the Sea Service Ribbon is the only one that matters.

Eh, not really. I have more deployment time under my belt than most but only have one of those because of how I mostly deployed. I personally put a a lot of value in the campaign medals but that doesn't mean those don't have them didn't do their part.

azguy

None
Eh, not really. I have more deployment time under my belt than most but only have one of those because of how I mostly deployed.

What deployments were you doing? SSDR only takes 90 days to get!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What deployments were you doing? SSDR only takes 90 days to get!

I did a lot of 2 month dets and some very long ones that didn't qualify for multiple awards of it, 3 1/2 years total and I only got one to date.

NRDPortlandOR

So you can spend $150 for a ribbon/medal? Sweet. Although I think you can spend around $10 to buy the same thing at that the NEX.

If you want to shoot, then go shoot, in whatever form (organized class, bullet hose, etc), but don't pay $150 just to get bling on your chest that you'll already get within the following next 1-2 years.

With Ron what you're really getting is tactical weapons instruction. My shooting has been excellent ever since. The dude is crazy but he knows how to shoot, and more importantly, how to teach shooting. The quals were really just a bonus. I never got a chance to do it in the fleet for whatever reason, so all in all I feel like it was worth it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
With Ron what you're really getting is tactical weapons instruction. My shooting has been excellent ever since. The dude is crazy but he knows how to shoot, and more importantly, how to teach shooting. The quals were really just a bonus. I never got a chance to do it in the fleet for whatever reason, so all in all I feel like it was worth it.

My point is that it sounds like you did it for the "right" reason, that's why I said "go shoot....(organized class...)..." But paying $150 for a ribbon or (hopefully) a medal that you'll have access to later is ghey.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My point is that it sounds like you did it for the "right" reason, that's why I said "go shoot....(organized class...)..." But paying $150 for a ribbon or (hopefully) a medal that you'll have access to later is ghey.
If you just want the ribbon, send me $100 ( a savings of $50) and I'll send you a ribbon and some gun decked paperwork. For $175 I'll throw in the rifle qual.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If you just want the ribbon, send me $100 ( a savings of $50) and I'll send you a ribbon and some gun decked paperwork. For $175 I'll throw in the rifle qual.

And Pags just found his side business...