• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whidbey Island Navy Flying Club / General Aviation in the PNW

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In 2002, they were charging $30/hr for the 152 and $45/hr for the 172.
Apples & oranges. That was then ... this is now ...

For comparison: gasoline was goin' for @ $1.20-$1.40 in 2002 ... I was OUTRAGED to have to pay @ $1.60 for it in Honolulu ...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
In 2002, they were charging $30/hr for the 152 and $45/hr for the 172.

Even still, those prices are PHENOMENAL! I was a member of a flying club in socal, and after membership, with the lowest rental prices around, I was still paying like 80 bucks an hour for a 152 in 2006 when I was flying civilian.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Just remember what we've told you about the atmosphere you're gonna get with those cheap prices. Many of us felt it was worth it to pay a little more to fly somewhere else.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Even still, those prices are PHENOMENAL! I was a member of a flying club in socal, and after membership, with the lowest rental prices around, I was still paying like 80 bucks an hour for a 152 in 2006 when I was flying civilian.

When my dad was stationed at USNA back in the '99-2000 timeframe you could rent an IFR 152 for $25 wet, and a T-34B for $65 wet from the USNA flying club. They also gave you a 10% discount for buying a 10 hour block. So you could get 10 hours in a 152 for $225. There was a grass field near by that would rent you a Piper Cub for $13 an hour... Ahh to be able to go back in time...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...... Ahh to be able to go back in time...
Piece of cake. You just need to reside inside my head.

No?? Well ... mebbe you're right .... not such a good idea after all ... ??? :)

streetcarstella.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
Heh... I got my PPL at what was the Wes Lupien airport there, from Wes himself. Piper Colt went for $8.50 wet and instruction was $5.00 per hour. No flying club on base at the time. IIRC, Piper Cherokee 140 went for $10 hour. The airport was gravel strip at the time, around 3000 ft with fence on one end and wires on the other. Wasn't unusual to have an A-6 come blasting over just above pattern altitude so learned early to keep the head on a swivel. Good times...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Heh.. wasn't unusual to have an A-6 come blasting over just above pattern altitude so learned early to keep the head on a swivel. Good times...
Please accept my belated apology.

I was young .... I was foolish .... I was desperate for validation .... I was: therefore .... I am. :)