• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whidbey commutes and PNW Traffic Circle Esoterica

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
well just wait until it is installed then you will see how jacked up a roundabout is because too many people have no clue how to use it, I have been dealing with several roundabouts for years now and several times a week I run into the following: person stops at entrance to roundabout with no traffic (most common) or person doesn't stop and darts in front of traffic in roundabout.

If people know how to use them I feel it could make driving life better, but the main one I deal with has done nothing but cause traffic backups.
People in the Pacific Northwest generally know how to use roundabouts correctly. They're actually quite popular up here, and they work.

Now, if we could just get the average Washington driver to a) drive the speed limit, not 10 under, and b) understand this foreign and highly esoteric concept called "keep right except to pass." Camping is to be done in the Cascades and Olympics, not the middle lane of I-5.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Now, if we could just get the average Washington driver to a) drive the speed limit, not 10 under, and b) understand this foreign and highly esoteric concept called "keep right except to pass." Camping is to be done in the Cascades and Olympics, not the middle lane of I-5.

Having driven all over the world I can still say that Washington drivers remain the only ones that regularly drive under the speed limit, even BC drivers are better though not by much. Don't get me started on the assholes who would park in the left lane then pace the cars next to them for 20, 30 or 50 miles as I tried to get to Seattle or Vancouver.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I’ve been known to pass on the shoulder (love my truck) when they play those stupid games...allegedly...

jmcquate

Contributor
Till this day, I still don't know the purpose of driving in any lane but the right lane in a roundabout.

exNavyOffRec

People in the Pacific Northwest generally know how to use roundabouts correctly. They're actually quite popular up here, and they work.

Now, if we could just get the average Washington driver to a) drive the speed limit, not 10 under, and b) understand this foreign and highly esoteric concept called "keep right except to pass." Camping is to be done in the Cascades and Olympics, not the middle lane of I-5.

I have been up in the NW for over 20 years, I will go with the people around WI are just more adaptable than everyone else.

You want to see them go the speed limit or faster drive I-5, my buddy is a WSP trooper and patrols Seattle, he doesn't think about pulling someone over unless they hit 70 and even then there are more of them than he can get.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been up in the NW for over 20 years, I will go with the people around WI are just more adaptable than everyone else.

You want to see them go the speed limit or faster drive I-5, my buddy is a WSP trooper and patrols Seattle, he doesn't think about pulling someone over unless they hit 70 and even then there are more of them than he can get.
Well, Greater Seattle is its own animal. I've never seen someone tooling around at 10 below between about Lynnwood to Federal Way, or Issaquah to the downtown ferry dock. Want to see aggressive buffoonery? Drive down 405 on a Friday night, and look at all the (I assume) teenage idiots in Daddy's Mercedes or Tesla. I guess when you or your parents are making that nice Microsoft money, what's a ticket or four?

I commuted from Issaquah to Sea-Tac for a temp job awhile back; 405 in rush hour is not for the faint-hearted. Establish dominance, or someone else will. Luckily, I drove an old-ass Jeep with bumpers made out of 3/16" sheet steel. Bring it, brogrammer boy . . .

Edit: Oh, and I scoff at the idea of pulling someone over for doing over 70 between Northgate Mall and SoDo. Because there's no way in hell the traffic is going over 45! :D

exNavyOffRec

Well, Greater Seattle is its own animal. I've never seen someone tooling around at 10 below between about Lynnwood to Federal Way, or Issaquah to the downtown ferry dock. Want to see aggressive buffoonery? Drive down 405 on a Friday night, and look at all the (I assume) teenage idiots in Daddy's Mercedes or Tesla. I guess when you or your parents are making that nice Microsoft money, what's a ticket or four?

I commuted from Issaquah to Sea-Tac for a temp job awhile back; 405 in rush hour is not for the faint-hearted. Establish dominance, or someone else will. Luckily, I drove an old-ass Jeep with bumpers made out of 3/16" sheet steel. Bring it, brogrammer boy . . .

Edit: Oh, and I scoff at the idea of pulling someone over for doing over 70 between Northgate Mall and SoDo. Because there's no way in hell the traffic is going over 45! :D

They are teenage idiots or 20 year old something that just bought a nice BMW or has it on a lease, my coworker lives next to one.

During the daytime workday nope, all fender bender accidents, but outside of that people fly down that area, he gets all the speeders and drunks from like 7 pm until about 5 am

Edit: he caught one guy blowing down the road with the left rear on a rim shooting sparks, drunk and speeding.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

hahaha so insanely true......that's actually how I always knew I had crossed the border from OR into WA

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
At least it’s not Pax River, my daily commute always felt like this:

Pags

N/A
pilot
At least it’s not Pax River, my daily commute always felt like this:
My wife was commuting from Chuck Co to Rockville for a year and was more than happy to come back to the Three Notch traffic from the beltway. Pax traffic is a pain but it pales in comparison to a major metro area.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
I know someone that (allegedly) did Tacoma to Anacortes on a Friday afternoon a few months ago...in 1 hour flat. I...just...I don't...